Can Iran Win The Asian Cup Championship?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Bauvafa, Sep 10, 2003.

1. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

playing decently well in shimizu s-pulse. scored two goals in a row recently or something.

2. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
  3. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends on the coach, if he is good, we have a good shot of winning, if it is an Iranian coach, no way we will win.

There is no point in arguing about it right now, the competition is still many months away, lets just wait and see what happens, then we will talk about it........

4. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Come on KF, you know that Ali Daei only played the first group match vs Afghanistan then he went back to Iran because his father suddenlly passed away. I told you myself 40 times, but some how you still keep "forgetting" ;)

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i suppose "half" means "full" in your brain. only your heart denies another half.

6. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    No question we can compete for the AC title, but we (Iran) need to get our act together. Our team is undesiplined and lacks good coaching. We need to work extra hard because we have not found our stride for a long time now. Daie is at the end of his rope, so we need to develop a replacement for him as well. Karimi has not matured into the superstar we expected him to be.

All in all, Iran showed in the Asian games that it has a strong youth movement ready to take over the national team. Problem is right now the coaching lacks bigtime.

7. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Re: Re: Re: YES WE WILL

and that's about it.

Great brand new stadiums don't do much. Just ask Hong Kong.

Ask red fire engine about the footy environment in Korea. He's non-Korean footy fan living in Korea who can tell you how crazy it is in Korea.

Again, linking Korea and Japan together in terms of investment is just like linking Saudi Arabia and Iran together. Compared to Afganistan, Iran invests more on football of course. But can you really say Saudi Arabia= Iran ? In terms of investments on football? I think you should get it by now.

I've seen so many Iranians portraying as if Korea invests on football like crazy. Now that's just waaay off. That's like saying Iran is just pouring dollars on football simply thinking that all middle east countries are full of oil-dollars.

8. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I know he didn't play much. But my point was that IFF thought about the tournament so seriously that they sent a man of a such caliber. At least in Iran he's a legend and you know that.

Korea didn't send Sun-hong Hwang or Myoung-bo Hong. Japan didn't send Nakayama, China didn't send Fan Zhiyi or Hao Haidong. The tournament itself really wasn't of a caliber to send such vets. Even for the young players, it really shouldn't have been such an important one. Players like Kihyeon Seol was 23 years old, and yet he still didn't fly over from Europe. Ono Shinji also didn't come from Netherlands did he?

It just shows that the IFF was taking the tournament dead seriously to send such a veteran. Vets affect the team's mentality regardless of playing. THAT was the point.

9. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    WRONG AGAIN!!!!!

Daie is after breaking Puskas (sp?) record, and also over the years he has become a big part of our football. He also loves to play, so it's almost 100% Daie's call what games he plays. just a personal observation.

10. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Asian Games is not an official football tournament authorized by FIFA. So no matter how many goals Daei was going to pour in the Asian Games it was gonna count zero. The fact that IFF chose him in the squad in itself means that they were taking the tournament really seriously. Even in AG1998, Iran was the only team out of 4 major powerhouses at the time (S.Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Iran) that actually sent their close-to-best squad. Whereas S.Korea and Japan sent U-21 teams and Saudi Arabia didn't even participate. I think IFF values the Asian Games too much. There's at least 4~5 tournaments that are more important than that for an AFC country.

Everything should be geared to the World Cup Qualifications round in the end. Maybe that's why junjun thinks "failure in Asian Cup" = "success at WCQ." Maybe he thinks that if Iran screws up at the AC, they'll get it fixed by the time the WCQ starts. Hey, at least that's better than winning AC, and losing at WCQ because of cockiness.

11. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Of course IFF wanted to win the tournament, we were out to prove a point, and we did. But if we really cared, we would have invited, Mahdavikia, Karimi, Hashemian, or Rezaei to be one of the 3 over-aged players, but we didn't. The reason IFF sent Daei, is because he is obivously the back bone of the team, the captain, and he is like a coach on the field, and a key asset to a young U-23 team.

12. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Iran's gold medal in the 2002 Asian games was a great result no matter what pundits say. Iran won on the road against hostile sides Korea and Japan. That is amazing considering Iran's only star did not really participate in the games. Iran has showed that its youngsters are as good as any in Asia. By 2005 WC qualifying I see Iran really improving especially if we have a decent manager.

13. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    Everything is geared to the World Cup. We have decided to kick some rear end all the way around, starting from Asian games,Asian Cup, Olympics qualies, and World Cup qualies. You witnessed the first phase come to a perfect completion, 2nd & 3rd phases are still in progress. stay tuned.

Here we COME, her we ROCK!

14. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    geared towards the World Cup?

and it only worked once in 1977 didn't it :D

2nd and 3rd phases are always taken by you know who ;)