can Copa America totally replaced by World Cup South American qualifiers?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by w-inds., Jul 15, 2006.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    That is an awfully large number of teams all having a meltdown at the same time. If they are going to have meltdowns like that, the US should have no problem in WC qualifiers even with the terrible, unfathomably difficult home field advantage that they supposedly possess.:rolleyes:

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    See. There you go. Because you believe they are better, they are better regardless of the result?

I think I get it now. It doesn't matter if you win or if you draw or if you lose. You are better no matter what.:rolleyes:

3. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Some teams match up better with certain teams. AKA us vs mex

Having said that ask all the neutral observers this question

Who would have a better chance of beating _______ (insert top footballing nation) US or Mexico?

As for the qualifiers.

ELEVATION COUNTS

Ecuador and Bolivia are places where teams dread going.

I think those teams would hate going to Azteca to play a better team than Bolivia or Ecuador and in the high altitude.

Mexico would have a great home record and get some away results. That is all you need ask Ecuador.

4. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I guess you can't detect sarcasm...? Your statement was ludicrous, so I made mine equally ludicrous so you could see the hole you are digging yourself into.

Can't believe I actually had to explain that. :confused:

5. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Now you're making sense.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Of course, you respond to that post and not the one before it that I explained that the meltdown was only a precusor and not the cause. I suppose I should have expected that from you though.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Funny guy. I'm falling on the floor laughing. Boy you really got me with that one.

8. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    ... except the real cause you imply (team reorganization) is equally ludicrous, and thus not worth pointing out. Keep bringing up ridiculous arguments and I'll keep mocking them, spazzo.

And yes, keep expecting more insightful comments from me. :D

9. southamerican1984

southamerican1984 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 10, 2005
    for those who say mexico/USA are better than south american teams, i invite you to argument what you are saying, I mean you word doesn't have much value, why don't you give us some proofs of why you are saying that.
    i say EVERY south american team is better than mexico and USA, but I have proofs.

First of all, i think those who say mexico/USA are better than south american teams, they mean right now? right? because if they also mean historically, they are so ignorant

in this last world cup we could watch how
    Ecuador beat costarica 3-0
    Paraguay beat trinidad and tobago 2-0
    Argentine beat mexico 2-1

now in the most recent tournament where south americans and concacaf teams are facing each other is in juegos centroamericanos y del caribe, and well, we all now the end, colombia and venezuela swept the floor with all those centroamericans and caribeans, and now they are gonna play the final

if we talk historically, i don't think nobody has a doubt that every south american team is better than mexico/USA
    if we talk about u-17, u-20 , u-23 i neither think any of us has any doubt that any south american team is better than mexico./USA, didn't we see how colombia was third in 2003 u-20 w.c? and how paraguay won silver medal in 2004 olympyc football?

I think the problem of mexico and US fans is that they are saying their senior national team is better right now than most south american teams? well, you are crazy, i already give you the most recent proofs of senior games between south americans and concacaf

i have already said south american teams are better than mexico/USA, not only historically, but also right now in all the categories, u-17, u-20,. u-23, and senior teams, but i'd also like to say that US women national team is better than every south american women;s national team, and also mexico/usa are better than every south american team in friendlies.

let's be fair, every side has something good
    take care!

10. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They were better... this is the same team that beat Argentina 5-0 in BUENOS AIRES. They played a very solid WCQ, had gone to QF in WC '90, so yes, they were expected to go very far and better then an unknown USA.

11. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    uhmmm, not exactly. You forget a small detail . Mexico was the U17 World cup champions played last year in Peru....

12. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    don't go bringing facts into this discussion.

13. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    good point:eek:

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    How does showing results of Costa Rica and T&T against Ecuador and Paraguay prove that the US and Mexico are worse than everybody in CONMEBOL?

How does Columbia and Venezuela beating teams from Central America and the Caribbean in juegos centroamericanos y del caribe prove that Mexico and the US are worse than all of the teams in CONMEBOL?

I don't know about other people, but I have never said that any team in CONCACAF is better than Argentina or Brazil. My contention is that the US and Mexico are as good as most of the teams in CONMEBOL and you showing me a result where Argentina beats Mexico by just 1 goal doesn't disprove that, it actually is evidence to prove that.

How can you compare youth tournaments to the top national team? And if you insist on doing so, it was Mexico that won the last U-17's.

You said that you were going to show some proof. All I saw was proof that Argentina is better than Mexico. Who is going to argue with that point? The real question is how will Mexico and the US do against every team in CONMEBOL other than Argentina and Brazil. You didn't show anything that would say that Mexico and the US couldn't hold their own against the other 8 teams in CONMEBOL.

The proof that the US can beat the other 8 CONMEBOL teams is that the US is 6-0 against teams in the CONMEBOL other than Brazil and Argentina from 2002 to present with a margin of victory of 12-1.

As I stated above, the US is not as good as Argentina or Brazil. The US is 0-3 against Argentina and Brazil with a margin of loss of 1-4 over the same time span. However, playing 3 games against these 2 teams and only losing by 1 goal in each game is not that bad. It is certainly not what you would expect from a team that is worse than every team in CONMEBOL.

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    No, Copa America can not be totally replaced by World Cup South American qualifiers. Copa America is an entertaining tournament that brings in much needed revenue for CONMEBOL. To get rid of it would be stupid.

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    If it is so hard to win in Bolivia that even Brazil can't beat them there, then why did Bolivia finish last in WC qualifying?

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    You make it sound like the US schedules the match and then says, "Oh, please don't send your top squad. We want to face the weakest team you can put together."

18. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    wat do you have alzheimer's?? We already talked about your silly contention ... 6- 0 since 2002... ALL FRIENDLIES, ALL PRETTY MUCH IN US TERRITORY (where you are SUPPOSED to WIN), AND AGAINST YOUNG/INEXPERIENCED SIDES (Let's say B-C category as they love using in these forums) OF THE CONMEBOL REGION.

So if we go to only Competive tourneys since 1990, let's review the US participation in their 2 Copa Americas, WC and GC participations WITHOUT BRAZ + ARG:

COPA AMERICA
    GAMES PLAYED: 6
    GAMES WON: 1
    DREW: 1
    GAMES LOST: 4
    GOAL DIF: - 6

WCUP

GAMES PLAYED: 1
    DREW: 0
    GAMES LOST: 0
    GOAL DIF: +1

IN ALL GOLD CUP PLAY:

GAMES PLAYED: 2
    DREW: 0
    GAMES LOST: 1
    GOAL DIF: 0

So in all official play (I'll even throw in the GC as 'official'), you have:
    GAMES PLAYED: 9
    GAMES WON: 3
    DREW: 1
    GAMES LOST: 5
    GOAL DIF: - 5

how do you figure you have ANY room to talk?

19. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    LOL, yeah Polar Bear =:confused: must be in a rest home typing on his computer. He's got white hair that's why he is called Polar Bear. LOL.:p

He also forgets =:confused: that heaps of the South American players of the first team standard are European championships since the 90's and are not released to the Copa America. (Trend started in the early 1980s) That is why he does not understand about the talking about reserves and age group players representing the first teams. It is simply club vs country argument in the SA teams. Maybe he could claim the same for the US team, but I am not sure he could since I think that is part of their soccer policy agreement between State MLS clubs and national soccer assocation body is to have players available. (I don't think that much US players are in European champships since there are money in US) That could explain the overall "Meltdown" but then it could explain the depth of national teams to a certain extent.

It seems that he is also in the understanding that since US can beat Mex than they should be better than the other 8 SA team after Bra and Arg. Well we (neutrals that is, well I am one) understand that Mex have beaten good SA teams away but US have not beaten good SA teams or even lesser standard teams away. We acknowledge Mex ability to cope with the SA team with some vigour so we are not surprise at their age group success but of the US? Nah, not in the same category. I guess we see that US is just a bogey team for the Mex. We see Boliva as a bogey team for Bra too but they vary in the middle to bottom SA standards.

Since it is mention of Boliva as an example, since they bottom out in the Copas, lets use them as an example in understanding of difficulties. The last times that US has played Boliva was 0-0 in Boliva in 1999 and lost 0-1 in Urugary in 1995 during Copas. Not convincing! Now add the 1994 friendlies in the US between them, 2-2 draw and 1-1 draw. Still not convincing. 1993 in US, 0-0, mmm not looking good Boliva are known to get draws from Bra and Arg too but lack wins away, they draw too much and so have less points and seems weak on overall points but are difficult to beat as well. Well that is all the head to head between the two. And admittedly that was some history long ago.

I am from NZ and see that the US team as not being convincing enough as a dorminated team. You were lucky to beat our Confed team in the 2003 and in 1999 by the 2-1 scorelines with late goals.

I remember the US U17 team in 1999 the ego mindset (yes I have heard their loud expectations in the Hotel lobby) that they would thump our U17 team in NZ but was not so chest thumping after the 2-1 win because they lucky with a lucky contentious goal in the 74 min by Donovan, after down being down 1-0 at half time. Lucky to get to 3rd place, their first time in semis since 1993. US in group play, drew with Poland (had a 89 min penalty given) and NZ beat the Poles 2-1. The US boys were lucky to beat Urg 1-0 with a 90min goal and Urg was the one to thump us 5-0 not the US. Since a quite a number of the US U17 boys that starred in that lineup have represented US national team over the years, it is just not a convincing group with the late goals. (only Donovan was effective in that reason as he have saved the US national team since but not this time at the WC) Their only good game was againest the Mexico U17 winning 3-2 but lost to Aus a.e.t. and beaten by Ghana 2-0, getting 4th place. It seems that US knows the Mexican game inside out but not the others.

US will be thumped againest the SA teams. But they may get better after a long time. I am just not convinced of their abilities and depth as yet.

:cool:

Hang Loose Guys

20. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You ask that question as if both statements are interrelated. Everyone has problems playing in La Paz... some more than others. Chile seems to get good results in La Paz, but Brazil always has problems playing there... same thing for Argentina.

21. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    No, I don't have Alzheimer's and the stats above have no more meaning than those I gave.

An interesting thing about the Copa America games was that the US made it to the semi-finals of the 1995 Copa. One semi-final finish in 2 tries is not to poor of a showing. However, the Copa America matches you mention were over a decade ago. Although, the World Cup match you mention favors the US, it was also over a decade ago. You claim that you are willing to throw in the Gold Cup games, but I am sure that when I point out that it was really a win and a draw (Columbia moved on via PK's), you will go back to the we didn't send our A team excuse.

What it all comes down to is that we don't have any recent matches that you will claim the SA teams had their top team.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    w/ exception of mexico and Us, ever other team in concacaf are a joke but even then, if Mexico and Us were in playing they would still have a hard time, not saying u guys wont make it but it will be hard. u would be fighting for spots because in SA everyone is good and everyone can qualify, the weak teams arent weak any more, Venezuela is very good now and i wouldnt be suprised if they make to 2010. Costa Rica isnt awful but if they were with us theyd be the new Boliva.

23. lnfected

lnfected New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    usa
    brazil , argentina , mexico, the rest, zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ.

24. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    :rolleyes:

You gotta love how Concacaf praisers just transfer their records over and think they are gonna qualify with ease. It's great. Quite amusing.

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ

infected is infected with narcolepsy....can't you tell by his posts?:D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz