Can China Win Asian Cup Championship?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Bauvafa, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    This would be a great chance for China to shine at Asian level and pave the way for WC06 seedings. Granted China has not had much success in football but their football seems to be going thru transformation and I expect them to be a good team. They have some players playing in Europe, they have the home field advantage with all their crazy fans behind them. This may be their best chance to win a trophy. what do ya think?

2. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    nah, even with Li Tie, Sunny, and Shao Jiayi in the lineup, there's not enough quality in the team to win it.

Unless there's a mass exodus of chinese players heading to europe, I don't think china will have much chance.

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    On China's recent tour of the US, they went 0-2-1. They only managed one tied of 0-0 versus the LA Galaxy. That tells me that they are not a strong side right now. What China has going for it is home field advantage, but I don't think it will be enough for them to get past the semifinals.

4. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    I think China should give more time to Haan.

5. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    That's only the China B or even C team. But the 0-2-1 record's indeed pathetic.
    Back to the question, hell no, China will NOT win the Asian Cup.

6. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    China managed 4th with a team of good players at the peak or around the peak of their careers, 4 years later most are gone, can they find replacements in time? Only time will tell but IMO they will probably lose in the quarters, maybe make it to the semis...

7. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I don't see why they CAN'T win.

They surely can. I expect a lot from the Chinese team.

8. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    China's chances

I think they do have an outside chance of winning but teams like Japan, South Korea and Iran will definately be the top favourites.
    China could be one of those teams that just play 200% better at home.

9. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    are you being sarcastic again? :D

10. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    out of all honesty, i think china has as much chance to win as korea or japan.

even korea got to 4th place in the world because we played at home. China would win the Asian cup easily if they have as much luck as korea had.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    True, true. Every one of the top teams in Asia CAN win the Cup if things go right. And China has a lot going for them. Wouldn't surprise me if they (or Korea or Japan or Iran...)