Can Australia beat the 5th place Sth american side and qualify for Germany 2006

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by boroboy1, Aug 2, 2005.

1. boroboy1

boroboy1 New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Brisbane
    Wha' d'ya think??

2. tigres

tigres Red Card

Jul 20, 2005
    I think that australia has to play first aganist islas salomon in september

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Exactaly, the question should be can the 5th place South American side beat Solomon Islands? :D

4. tigres

tigres Red Card

Jul 20, 2005
    no not quiet exactly, Australia will play against Solomon islands in september, the winner of these two will play against the fifth place african team

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, but we'd rather know whether the fifth placed South American team could be the Solomon Islands ;)

6. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    If they make it that far Australia can beat the 5th place South American team, especially if Hiddink is coaching. However whether they will is another question...

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they?

Yes.

Will they?

No.

9. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you guys thinking? When was the last time the Oceania winner beat the 5th place South American squad. You guys are brain dead, and how can you say "they can" but "will they" that makes no sense, what are you saying they lose ever 4 years on purpose cause the dont want to go to the World Cup.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes perfect sense. Australia is a skilled team and has the on the field skill to do it, what I question is their "mental toughness." They don't ever play in the rowdy environments that exist in South America. Last time around they were visibly rattled by their reception in SA and their game suffered because of it.

That's what I meant anyway.

11. X Box X

X Box X New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. The Socceroos definitely have the ability to beat the fifth placed South American side, but whether they will or not is a totally difference argument.

If the Socceroos can have their strongest squad on the park, I am confident that they will defeat the fifth ranked South American team (possibly Uruguay again) and qualify for the World Cup.

A lot will rely on the fitness of Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka. Cahill, Bresciano and Emerton need to be at their usual best. If all this happens, the Socceroos will qualify. Simple.

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    If they cant beat the likes of Tunisia why should they be expected to beat a Conmebol team over 2 legs??
    Having a part-time coach is a mistake .Hiddink will be totally focused on PSV.

13. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    do they really? hasn't australia been playing a south american team for the past 1000 years in order to go to the world cup and they lost every time??

14. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no they havnt they played iran for france 98

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon man, you've been around long enough to know you can't judge a team by one game. That'd be like saying when the US beat Brazil how many ever years ago that there's no way that Brazil could qualify out of CONMEBOL if they couldn't beat the US.

I agree, part time coach doesn't seem like a good idea.

16. X Box X

X Box X New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yet Australia beat England two months ago. Anything can happen, and Australia has shown it is an extremely inconsistent football nation. I think it was in 2001 that Australia held the French to a draw, also.

FWIW, Australia didn't exactly field its strongest side against Tunisa, and Frank Farina later said if he knew his job as manager was on the line, he wouldn't have fielded such a medicore side and would have tried harder to win the match.

17. X Box X

X Box X New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    That's supposed to read two years ago, not two months ago.

18. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    hahaha ,you're only claim to "fame". Fluke win in a one off friendly.
    You cant live off that win forever.

oh yeah ,very inconsistant seeing as you never qualify for the world cup.

19. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Hiddink's worked miracles before...

20. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huh? their playing the 5th place African side? so whos the 5th place S.A team playing?

21. X Box X

X Box X New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Since when do you have to qualify for the world cup to play against other nations? Sure, the competition may not be as fierce, but Australia has done well against far stronger football nations.

Considering Australia has a population of only twenty million, and that "soccer" isn't one of Australias main sports played (Aussie Rules, Cricket and Rugby are more popular), I think Australia does alright.

"Soccer" is slowly increasing in popularity in Australia, so it is only time before the Socceroos make it to their first World Cup since 1974, and there's no reason why it won't be 2006 Germany.

22. raay420

raay420 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    isnt mexico the 5th place s.a team? if so then NO australia cant beat them no way no how.

23. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL

there is no such thing as a fith place african side, they do it in groups.

and to the last poster... mexico is not in SA.

24. X Box X

X Box X New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    There won't be any African side to worry about. South American sides only. I haven't checked the standings for South America in a while, but the last time I checked, Argentina and Brazil were doing quite well, so thankfully the Socceroos won't have to play them in the qualifying matches. I'm pretty confident the Socceroos will be playing either Uruguay or Columbia, but we'll soon see.

25. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Australia have a good team, and im glad their goping to Asia to have more competition, as far as beating the 5th place S.A team..its very possible, i was impressed ith them at the Confederations Cup despite losing all 3 games.