Can anyone offer teams and players cash rewards for WINNING games>

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by tahoma, May 6, 2017.

1. tahoma

tahoma New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pre-written, performance-based bonuses are often given by clubs, but is it legal for an outsider to offer money to players for winning an individual game?

That is my million dollar question.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a podcast where a player mentioned getting a winning bonus, so if teams can do it, why not outsiders too, as long as they're not betting on the game?

3. tahoma

tahoma New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I actually had betting in mind for this. What if you offered bonuses to low-paid players to win an otherwise insignificant game such as a friendly? Surely it's not as probable as when bribing a team to lose a game, but on the other hand, from what I understand, it wouldn't be illegal.

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    It can happen, but definitely invites scrutiny (for example in the wild and wooly days of the Serie A and the Bundesliga, the pressure to stay up was so great that a team on the cusp of relegation would offer a win bonus to the teams playing their fellow relegation battlers.)

Some leagues do crack down on it, see the 2016 La Liga race:

http://www.espnfc.us/spanish-primer...javier-tebas-unconcerned-about-bonus-payments

6. RickySevern

RickySevern New Member

Sep 18, 2017
    USA, Washington
    Hi, friends! Talking about bettering and fixing games is interesting! I'd like to thank you for sharing!

7. Lauren Prior

Lauren Prior New Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    May 24, 2019
    This seems to air on the side of unethical practice- too close to bribes for players to throw games- yet different because players should want their teams to win so this is just evermore incentive?