Can Africa actually host in 2010?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by kasai, Aug 8, 2002.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. blueslacker

blueslacker New Member

Feb 10, 2002
  3. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    South Africa's "2nd world" socio/economic stats are a snapshot from the late 1990s right around when things started to slide into despair (even though data may be postmarked 2000, 2001 etc. some of these data is inherently accumilative).

A GDP of $8000 from late 90s doesn't sound so bad, but a current HIV infection rate of 40% ?!?! Make that infection rate 55% by the time 2010 rolls around (unless they find a cure).

Wait until people start dying in droves in the middle of this decade. Policemen, teachers, doctors, workers, farmers, politicians, falling one by one.

The streets of Johannesburg circa 2008 may resemble the streets of London during the bubonic plague in the 18th century.

I don't think this one is going to fly.

4. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    How about a UAE/Kuwait joint bid? Each of the United Arab Emirates shiekdoms (Dubai, Sharja etc.) have pretty fancy statiums (one WC class stadia each) built with oil wealth. If they come up short they can always build 2-3 more between them. It would be called Gulf2010.

I would involve the Saudi's in this too, but I think it will have the same political/terrorism turmoil that Egypt/Morocco will have.

Kuwait/UAE on the other hand are HongKong/Singapore like little city-states that run a tight ship both economically and socially.

It may not be Africa, but it's close.

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    You do know what temperature it gets to out there.

Summer temperatures can reach 46°C (115°F) along the coast, and coastal humidity is significantly lighter than it is during the winter. Temperatures can reach 49°C (120°F) in the desert. The khamsin frequently blows in from the south and causes sandstorms.

http://www.scherp.com/uae.htm

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Too many restrictions in the region. Alcohol is a big thing at World Cup's. The Saudi have sever bans while the UAE and Kuwait have severe restrictions on consumption. To get into these countries will require a visa, even to attend a couple of games.

The weather isn't the only concern.

7. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    I have been to Saudi about 15 years ago, and I know how hot it can be (even at night).

But don't think it won't be any worse temperature wise than Mexico City 1986. Humidity is another matter though and it can probably make things twice as bad.

But they do have stadiums there, and I assume people do play. As part of AFC qualifying northern teams like Japan, Korea, China regularly visit these countries and play in the heat. I don't think anyone has died from it yet.

On a different note, the climate may virtually guarantee an African country (if not Colombia or Brazil) to be the world champions that year!

;-)

8. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    It's the worst idea I've heard in a while, it even tops the idea of giving it to Morocco.

There's just far, far too many reasons why it won't happen.

So FIFA are going to give this idea the thumbs up and give 2 valuable seeding spots to UAE and Kuwait. Two teams that aren't seemingly worth a place at a WC let alone a seeding spot.

As an idea, it was dead before it even got near the water.

9. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    DoyleG, you are right. I had not thought about the alcohol restrictions perspective.

But that being said, I'll take that over worrying over personal security and health concerns in SA which is going to be a lot more restrictive regarding people going to / returning from games, and spilling into the streets at night. I can just imagine hapless drunk celebrating supporters being harmed in drowes and dozens at gunpoint every night all over the major cities. (unless they are in Cape Town or the Garden Route area which is indistinguishable from the french riveara).

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The tournament then would have to be played a couple of moths before or after the usual time. The qualifying matches were played late summer/early fall. Giventhe conditions, it would make more sense to play in Africa in 2010.

It's harder to get to the Middle East than either Korea or Japan.

It's easier to get into South Africa.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Sorry to be anal but here's temperatures around Mexico. Some hosted WC games (Mexico city, Monterrey etc.).

Warm, but not Arabian Peninsula warm.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/farenheit.html

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I can only imagine the Saudi vice squad trying to cover up the Brasilian babes. That may start a riot.

Sachin

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Makes South Africa more appealing. I hear theyhave great beaches there. Perfect to view the Brazilian babes.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Weather is not a concern for nations with talent and discipline.