Can Africa actually host in 2010?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by kasai, Aug 8, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Africa 2010

You're new around here, so I'll give you a little tip.

Flannigan isn't "due" any respect.

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch Dave, very ouch.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It proves they can host a major event. Very little separates both events.

They can host it. Live with it!

4. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Japan and South Korea can absorb the cost of 20 white-elephant stadiums built to boost their nations' egos for a month, then fall into disrepair.

Africa doesn't have the luxury of wasting all that money on an event that will come and go in an instant.

The concept of sport as a national (or continental) vehicle for gaining worldwide credibility or stature is both stupid and dangerous.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    South Africa has the stadiums already there to host the event. It will be more of bring the others up to standard than building new ones. The cost will be minimal at best. They figures will be compariable to USA 94 than 2002.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Very little separates the Little League World Series and the World Cup or Olympics. Anchorage, Alaska has hosted three LIttle League World Series, so I propose that the next three World Cups are hosted there.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You've lost all credibility with this link, "I’ve seen no evidence of an AIDS plague anywhere in Africa." These types of lies are killing millions of people.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh heh heh...comparing the Rugby thingie to the World Cup is like comparing, I dunno, the US and Canada.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To your earlier post. The reason the rugby world cup was incident free had nothing to do with your implication that the country can successfully host a major event. Firstly soccer is predominantly a black sport in the RSA. Rugby, even more so is predominantly a white sport. Most violence has occurred at soccer not rugby matches. It will be a major effort to keep a world cup clean from violence in the RSA particularly outside the stadium grounds.

If we follow your premise here's my short list of stadia if the RSA could host a WC.

Finals and opening match FNB Stadium (90,000), Johannesburg
    Ellis Park (63,000) Johannesburg
    ABSA Stadium (55,000) Durban
    Loftus Versfeld (52,000) Pretoria
    Newlands (50,900) Cape Town
    Odi Stadium (60,000) Pretoria
    Johannesburg Stadium (37,500) Johannesburg

You will need at least 1-3 more stadia. 8-10 venues.

All stadia are going to require communication centers and modifications for the press boxes. Over and above that, all stadia and press areas are going to require additional communication and power infrastructure and transportation. I don't know, but I would imagine that hotels should be plentiful for tourists. All stadia will also have to be all seaters and many will require a partial canopy.

That said, I see a lot of capital expenditure for a country with many pressing social and economic problems. Furthermore, the security will be quite large given the volitilty in the country as well as threats of external violence or terrorist threats.

Why with all of the domestic problems and the uncertainties regarding foreign and domestic attendence for a SA World Cup would be reason enough to think this proposal through.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post Beez.

11. FunGuy

FunGuy New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Ok ben the writer in that article was not dening the aids epedemic he was saying that throught his travels throughtout the continents, aids wasn't seen as a major concern of people, and hospitals weren't being overloaded with the sick or dying in the streets, he said that the ppl were more corncern about more imediate events in their life, and more people were dying from non- aids related illnesses like malaria. my main point about the article was not the aids stuff but about what he wrote after and about a recent wave of european immigrant going to and retiring in SA beacuse it's has a better value for the buck.

12. FunGuy

FunGuy New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    mostly to cape town, as for the infastructure which seems to keep coming up, SA has all the communication, and transportation system to handle the cup

13. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    FunGuy, I'm not making the blanket statement that South Africa shouldn't ever host the World Cup. I just think that, given the more pressing social and economic problems facing that country, it would be irresponsible for her government to spend the billions necessary to stage such an event at this time. Perhaps it would be socially just if Europe and America, as a gesture of reparation, provided the funds to stage RSA '14. But for the South African Government to spend the huge sums required for something as trivial as the World Cup when a staggering percentage of her adult population is infected with AIDS, when half of her population live in poverty, when three-tenths of her workforce is unemployed, is totally criminal. Along the same proportions of Apartheid itself. In principle, a South African World Cup is a splendid idea, but the costs are unfortunately prohibitive. Again I'm not saying South Africa has to earn the privilege. Rather that she has deeper problems to solve before that should happen.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wake up!!! They can host a major event and they can sure as hell host the World Cup. The sports in South Africa still has racist tendencies, but they are integrated. As for the incident at Ellis Park, that was dues to too many tickets being sold, not fan violence. But I guess you and the other Americans don't see it that way. If you had been watching Tri-Nations matches on TV, you would have seen the mix of South African audiences.

It's becoome obvious to you that South Africa does have the stadia. You forgot to add venues in Bloemfontein and Pietersburg. Port Elizabeth could also be considered. You seem to forget that USA 94 was hosted with less stadia than what was needed.

Since when do stadiums need a canopy. The Citrus Bowl didn't have a canopy. Neither did the Rose Bowl, Stanford Stadium, or Soldier Field. The South African stadiums are better prepared than US stadiums. Your points are really pathetic.

I take one look at the US and see no difference.

What seem to upset you is that a country you consider to be AIDS-infested and uncivilized is going to get the Cup before your little USA. You and the other Americans on the thread who are acting like idiots are nothing but a bunch of bastards.

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Take a long deep breath. It is going to be alright. There are good points on either side.

RSA has many many problems, just like the US where the same crime/murder stereotypes existed during much of th 70's and 80's. However, the situation always seems worse on paper than it is in real life.

In defense of the Rugby WC, it is a pretty big tournament outside of the US, and could serve as fair indicator of their ability to hold a large event. Many of the same needs are required.

In defense of Americans questioning the ability of RSA hosting the 2010 WC, there are valid points on this side as well. The AIDS epidemic is real and is ravaging the young population, and much of the problem is the government has been extremely slow even admitt they had a problem.

I have no problem with an Africa or RSA WC. The problem I have, which has been touched on before, is the notion that it is their "turn" when no country is really ready to invest in such an event.

Maybe the people of SA want to spend the money on the WC, but I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to spend it on Aids drugs and prevention. No wait, silly me, they can just cry to the drug companies and get them for free.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never had an argument regarding the fact that sports in the RSA are integrated. I merely pointed out that unlike the USA, support of soccer and rugby really breakdown on a percentage basis along racial lines. It is not 50/50 or 60/40.

Gee wasn't that my point on the other thread? That it was a major security breach that lead to the deaths at Ellis Park.

Where did I say that there was ever an issue with the quality or quantity of stadia? Also, USA 94 was 24 teams not 32.

Since FIFA started insisting in their guidelines for stadia that all stadiums be all seaters, have a specific seating capacity 40,000 and recommended the installation of canopies over the seating areas. Look at the stadia used in both Japan and Korea. All stadia had canopies of varying sizes and coverage. So much for it being a pathetic point.

Here's a link to FIFA's recommendations for new and modernizing stadia

http://www.fifa2.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::67173+stadia/reg/index+E

The difference is the USA has larger stadia, and they are spread out geographically throughout the entire country.

Where did I argue about AIDS? I noted the economic statistics. Just so that you are aware the concern regarding AIDS isn't that one would be infected. It has to do with what the impact of the disease to the economy of the country as well as the pychological impact to the people and I came to debate not be insulted.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, this has been a good discussion, but has moved beyond the boundries of Business and Media. I'll leave a rediect in this forum, but, after consulting with a FIFA mod, this is their kind of discussion.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DoyleG, you better start being nice, or the "little USA" is going to have a 51st state, Canada.

19. trobinson

trobinson New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Wow. I am seriously blown away with the ignorance in this thread. If people dont think South Africa shouldn't host the WC because they shouldn't waste their money, they are forgetting the biggest aspect of the WC- the money it brings. Its an investment not a waste of money. If SA needed more money to rectify some of its bigger problems holding a WC would be a good idea. First, the construction industry would boom by getting goverment contracts to make the country fit to host such a big event. Retail and sales would boom from the excess of tourists in the area. Its just like the Olympics. Everyone wants it becasue it brings in millions of dollars, not for the event itself. Plus, SA is ranked the most beautiful place on EARTH! Thats an added bonus.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trobinson, if SAfrica spends a billion dollars to host the WC, and it gets revenues of $500 million, would you still consider it a good idea?

You see what I'm getting at? You're blithely assuming that the money SAfrica would have to spend to meet FIFA's requirements are less than the money they'll make. And that's a questionable assumption, to say the least.

21. FunGuy

FunGuy New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    As DoyleG has noted SA doesn't have to spend nearly as much as SK, Japan did for there world cup in which like 18 new stadiums were built. SA already has the stadiums, and only needs to spent to retofit some for fifa rules. I don't know how much USA 94 had to spend, but i am sure it's wasn't that much, which would be the same for SA. I am just talking a wild guess here, but i think SA would only have to spend around 200 million US, remember labour and construction cost are much cheaper there.

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey Superdave!

Did Fuji run you over with his car again?

23. trobinson

trobinson New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    I think a billion dollars is a bit high! They already have about everything in place, especially infrastructure wise. They just need to expand and fit everything to FIFA regulations. I don't think they will lose money in the deal by any means. Plus the money SA would spend would be given to local contractors and builders further helping the economy and its construction industry..and the pay off could be or would be very big.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Can Africa actually host in 2010?

When did that happen? Sure it wasn't NABC?

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trobinson, let me narrow it down for ya.