Can a Chinese club win/reach the AFC Champions League within the next decade?

Discussion in 'China' started by Soccerfever, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    In the last few years of club football in Asia,Japanese,Korean,Saudi clubs and even an Australian club has reached the final(although they didn't win) of the AFC CL.Chinese club football has had to deal with match fixing in recent years but can a Chinese club win the AFC CL within the next 10 years?

Your thoughts...

2. Eljunio

Eljunio Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Tysons Corner
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Re: Can a Chinsese club win/reach the AFC Champions League within the next decade?

only team i feel that is capable of making it to the finals is evergrande, but sadly there's a low possibility they will win the tournament this decade. just continued k league domination with some j league/iranian/arab clubs competing for a spot. the CSL needs a total reform to be actually taken seriously. not the structure of the league but the foundations

3. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Can a Chinsese club win/reach the AFC Champions League within the next decade?

i will focus on the question of "can a Chinsese club win/reach the AFC Champions League within the next decade" once AFC decides to hire quality refs.

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)

Oops!I'm sorry for the typo!Perhaps you could correct the error in the title of the thread since you're a mod...please! :D Thank you :)

5. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Maybe become competitive but I don't know about winning and reaching the final. Even though Evergrande has performed well in CSL, we still don't know how they will do against foreign teams. Just because you buy all the expensive players doesn't guarantee Continental dominance. Chelsea never won any European titles even with all the money they spent, Man City is still to be seen and I feel the same will be true for Evergrande.

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

playing in AFC is a tricky and weird league
    evergrande might need to travel as far to indonesia to play a game, then once they qualified out of group stage, they would have west asian teams waiting for them. the distance would add hugeass amount of fatigue to the players.

and when there are west asian teams with west asian refs, you know how challenging it would be for east asian team. ;)

adding on to ruazn's argument, i agree that money can't buy title. an asian example would be bunyodkor of uzbekistan, they got rivaldo and plenty of players that are good. they never won the asian champions league title (despite being close to it).

7. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I think your comments about refs don't make much sense man. East Asia has dominated the ACL in the past few years. I refuse to believe there is a refereeing bias against Chinese clubs.

8. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Agreed, The fact is Chinese clubs simply haven´t been good enough.
    I think we all are looking forward to see how Guangzhou will fare in next years campaign.

9. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I think Guangzhou have got a good chance next year. The gap between Chinese teams and the Korean/Japanese sides is not that big. Here's hoping Guangzhou can put Chinese football on the continental map. If Guangzhou can win the ACL, it will bring more crowds back to the CSL in general.

10. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

My thoughts exactly, and Guangzhou will be the strongest team (atleast on paper) to represent China in recent years in the ACL.

11. bebo

bebo Red Card

Nov 7, 2011
    I think they can

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    The simple answer is yes. A decade? Of course. It will take the right club and to some extent it will require de-emphasizing domestic results, but yes.

I think one of the major factors is that Chinese clubs put little importance on doing well in Asia. The fans could care less about the competition and clubs put even less significance in it. It appears Guangzhou will be the first to really focus on it.

13. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    what is the reason for the empathy? is it because the clubs cannot make as much money off the tourney?