Can a Caribbean team win 2011 Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Gwadaboyz 72, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]
    2011 will be a good year for a Caribbean team? Caribbean champion Jamaica, the runner-up Guadeloupe, Cuba and Grenada who have finished on the podium, will they be crowned CONCACAF champion in June? The best record for a Caribbean team was the semi-finals stage. Jamaica (1993 and 1998), Trinidad and Tobago (2000) and Guadeloupe (2007).

2. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    No.Unfortunately it's too early for a Carribean nation to win this thing!The way the game is organized in the Carribean,it will take time for teams from that sub-region to be truly competitive.Central America has better chances overall because the game is better organized there...

3. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    If Guadeloupe actually gets all their elgible guys on the field then I wouldn't rule them out. There's some serious talent there.

4. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

i read your opinion but i disagree . Haiti won the '73 Confederations Tournament it's equal to the Gold Cup today . Although haiti hosted
    the tournament then teams like jamaica & guadeloupe have a huge
    amount of players in international leagues so they are capable to win it
    away . The problem with Concacaf Gold Cup is the officiating , alot
    of the calls made against caribbean teams are bias , the refs
    must realize soccer is a contact sport .

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To be honest I think a team like Jamaica or Guadeloupe could do it this tournament.

Of course the stars would have to align though. You have to hope a team like Honduras or Costa Rica takes out Mexico in the Knock out stages. The Final would have to be against the USA in the Rose Bowl (There would not be a hostile crowd in Pasadena, trust me.) in a smart cerebral slow paced game that goes into penalties or something like that. The USA would have to have a bad game and miss a lot of shots.

Against Mexico , forget about it.
    Caribbean teams crap the bed when they face El tri in front of 90,000 people or more.

My money is still on the USA though, but that is why they play the games.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

You mean American Football?

7. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    :confused: u r right football is not a contact sport cause have seen caribbean players especially jamaicans been sent off withouth no contact been made .

8. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Haiti's team(s) of the 1960s and 1970s is/are probably the best one(s) they've ever had in their footballing history.So,they won a tournament that they hosted,but that was almost 40 years ago!

Since the crook Jack Warner took over in the early 90s,he introduced the Gold Cup as we know it and since then,no team from the carribean as reached the final.Now,if the tournament had host rotation,just like other confederations have,I have no doubt that a carribean team would have probably won one edition by now.Let's not forget that CONCACAF is drooling for dollars bills,so with that said,a Mexico-US final is what is best for them.Eventhough a carribean team had what it takes to reach the final,CONCACAF would make sure that that team in particular won't reach the damn final because they won't be able to bring a lot of people from their community to the stadium...For CONCACAF,money is the priority. :eek: :(

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Haiti team actually went to back to back finals, losing to Mexico in 1971 before winning in 1973 over T&T.

I think Jamaica has a shot. Panama almost won in 2005. Canada did win in 2000. Anything can happen.

However, since there is a Confederations Cup berth at stake this time, I think it will be tougher.

I'd rate the chances of an underdog team winning it to be more likely when the Confed. Cup berth isn't on the line, and the USA/Mexico don't sent their full A squads (and neither will some of the other nations).

The USA can certainly have trouble scoring at times, and Mexico has more defensive lapses. Neither team is so strong they can't be beat. And the Caribbean team doesn't necessarily need to beat both. Maybe with some help from Honduras/Costa Rica/Panama to knock out one of the big teams, and then they nip the other. T&T has had some success vs. Mexico lately in qualifying.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US and Mexico are going to come into this thing with full A squads and 100% focus to win the thing, in order to get a Confederation Cup berth. Is it possible a Caribbean team could win? I suppose it's possible. But it'd be like Poland winning the World Cup.

11. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    won't happen

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    a simple..ney ney.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The question in the thread was CAN a Caribbean team win...

...yes they can.

Will they ? More than likely not. But stranger things have happend in soccer that is for sure.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    your telling me Grenada CAN win this :confused:

15. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    He didn't say ALL caribbean teams. He said A caribbean team. That doesn't necessarily mean Grenada. I certainly don't think Grenada can win it. However, I do think Guadeloupe or Jamaica can win it if they get every available player to suit up. Particularly Guadeloupe. They already made a semi in 2007 and took Mexico to the brink despite not having their best squad there. Guadeloupe has huge potential if their full selection of players actually shows up.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Exactly.

People thought it was crazy when a team like Denmark or Greece won the Euro Cups.

Heck, Canada won the gold cup for Pete's sake.

Crazy things happen in soccer.

NOW I AM NOT SAYING IT WILL HAPPEN.

I am saying it can happen. They just need the ball to bounce in their favor.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way somen pulls it off has been mentioned. Honduras or somebody knocks off Mexico or the US. Jamaica or whoever gets through the group stages gets a relatively conceivable upset over Canada or someone then plays the game of their lives against the remaining US or Mexico. Not likely but possible, like i said Poland or Chile winning the world cup possible but possible.

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No

Held in the U.S.(wow again!) only 2 teams have a realistic chance of winning it.

You put the Gold Cup in central america or the caribbean then the possibilities of more teams winning it increases.

19. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would almost like to see it, just to see the facial expressions of 90,000+ Mexico fans after losing to them in Pasadena... :p

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And then watch them throw 90,000+ beer cups unto the field. :p

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you're thinking Guadeloupe, Cuba, or Grenada have a chance of winning the competition.......you're beyond crazy. They have the ability to beat one of the big boys, but not win the whole thing.

So that just comes down to Jamaica...........who have had some decent results this past year. In 2010 they beat Canada, T&T, Costa Rica, etc. Do they have a chance? Yes. Not a good one, but they do.

I'll ask you guys this....................WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE US LOST TO A CARIBBEAN NATION ON US SOIL?

[You'll be thinking about that one for a long time, even if you're a huge US soccer fan.]

When was the last time a Caribbean nation made the final of the Gold Cup? Well..............never.

But in the pre-GC days of 1977, Haiti finished 2nd to Mexico in the CONCACAF championship table.

To be honest, I think the gap between the top 4 CONCACAF nations (US, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica) and the Caribbean nations has expanded since the last Gold Cup.

A lot of crazy things would have to happen for one of the Caribbean nations to win the whole thing.

22. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Guadeloupe or Jamaica can do it.

Nobody else comes close.

23. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Have you seen the list of potential players Guadeloupe could bring in??? It's more impressive than Jamaica's

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the list.

25. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you've surely seen that they were the best island team in the past 2 GCs.