Camp Cupcake: Jan 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. Horvath, Hamid and Gonzalez and I'm happy.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really wish we could have gotten like a Dutch B-team or Norway or maybe some Asian/African sides to play us out here. Just something different to test our boys against.

3. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    LOL at this.

The Dodgers have the option to trade for another right fielder. The USMNT cant go get a Colombian striker to play if the current one is bad. just a really poor comparison here.

Marko72 repped this.
  4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don't think you can compare play and goals against lower competition as you can with someone playing at much higher speeds. It's apples and oranges in any sport.

5. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    San Jose already reported Lima called into camp. Already looking forward to the camp list

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you can; it's more like comparing oranges to other types of oranges. Otherwise, scouts would never be able to predict how a player at a lower level can contribute at a higher one. This is the fallacy associated with "league quality / speed", good players don't play down to the level around them.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'll never forget bball's reactions when I put Polster on my call up list some years ago : "I don't know what I'll do if Matt Polster is called up to USMNT".

Anyway, he's out of contract in Chicago and on trial with Rangers. Have to wonder how fit he is after being injured almost the entire 2018 season.

Gerrard was familiar with Polster from his time playing in MLS with the Galaxy. Connection was made and he brought him over. Polster is out of contract at the end of the year.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...fire-duo-trial-scottish-powerhouse-rangers-fc

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Not sure why we still have January camp. Its a relic from the time when half the team played in MLS. Money could be better invested elsewhere.

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Traditionally it was for fringe players, so I don’t think the ROI has changed.

WrmBrnr and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #135 TimB4Last, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Quite possibly, but remember we've got money to burn.

Perhaps, but last year at this time the MNT moved all in ... on Bitcoin.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah, woah, woah... there’s a lot wrong with this.

One, as a fan, how could we be opposed to more soccer?

Two, the camp has always been a good way to introduce fringe players into the fold. If all we ever do is play the best XI over and over again, we end up with another 2018 failure.

Three, it’s a good way to get players match fit when the MLS offseason is too long.

Four, it helps build chemistry as this is an extended period players can play together.

Five, I fail to see any cons that would somehow offset these top four.

The only thing is maybe play elsewhere in the Southwest or Southeast; as LA fans don’t seem to want to show up for these games.

TCS35, Magikfute, largegarlic and 4 others repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Should be mentioned that the players get PAID to go to January camp. And for some players that don't make much money in MLS, this is needed income. This was particularly true in the past when a player like Stuart Holden was making 40k a year in MLS. Reggie Cannon makes what right now? 65k a year?

Klinsmann turned it into a pseudo-U23 camp one year. I wouldn't mind seeing it become a U23 camp with a couple of older guys just breaking thru. And in a U23 type camp you co want a couple of veteran leaders to show the kids what being a USMNTer is all about.

I study what Uruguay does a lot, because they perform miracles at the national team level (based on their limited population, poor health of their domestic league, etc). The vast majority of their national team is based abroad. HOWEVER, they have domestic camps in Uruguay with a lot of the youngsters. So they know what being a Uruguayan national teamer is all about before they head abroad. They understand the culture, are integrated into the groupo, etc. from an early age.

This is why January camp is so important for the USMNT. In a few years many of these guys like Cannon, Steffen, etc. are going to be scattered around the world. We have this built in opportunity for them to all spend a fairly long time getting to know each other. Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of it?

[I'm not sure previous coaching regimes did take advantage of it.]

Guinho, KUSA77, #8or#6 and 5 others repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps I was unclear in my meaning and therefore you took it literally.

Simply looking at goals scored at a lower level isn't a particularly reliable predictor of who can score goals against higher competition. There are plenty of minor and college all-stars in every sport who can fill up a highlight reel yet can't make the jump to the next level.

For every LD, there are dozens of Wondo level players (which is not meant as an insult btw) who excel in the lower leagues but can't play when the game speeds up.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    10 MLS players were on the roster for the Copa America Centerio, the last major tournament the team played.

Guinho and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    TimB4Last repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...smnt-2019-january-camp-chula-vista-california

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati; 10/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0)

FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)

Guinho, Eleven Bravo and largegarlic repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I didn't do the math, but per US Soccer, just 6/27 are 2020 age-eligible ...

"Six players are age-eligible for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo: Cannon, Ebobisse, Glad, McKenzie, Mihailovic and Trusty."

18. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its to be expected given the time of year.

Alex Blanton repped this.
  19. Alex Blanton

Alex Blanton Member

Queens Park Rangers
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    I think that this is a pretty good roster lots of young guys. I wish that there was no Bradley and that they had brought the Scandinavians, but more or less what I expected. This roster, the matches, and the new manager actually makes me a little excited for this camp.

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    there is absolutely no reason not to bring in both Amon and Gall.

22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess Mike needs the money?

I would think the Euro guys get some time to recoup but get back to work not long after. And at this point, that is more important for them. When we need them, they will be that much better. Just hope Berhalter does not lose focus.

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our forward pool is horrible.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked. I believe 6 is right. @bshredder said 7 on Twitter, but I think it is just 6.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Trusty but verify?

Guinho repped this.
  26. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014