Camp Cupcake: Jan 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 12, 2018.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's Translate from Foxborese to English. Ecce Foxboro!
    [1]" You disagree with me, therefore you are stupid"
    [2] "You disagree with me, therefore you are blind to reality."
    [3] "As a starter, McNamara had a nice season. So it's a smart move to play that guy in garbage time."
    [4] "My peeps were shocked he played even in garbage time."
    [5] "Shelton sucks. If he plays well for KC then he doesn't play well for KC, cuz' my peeps roll their eyes so much does he suck."
    [6]" Lewis? Such an inconvenient truth....hmmm......The OverLords work in mysterious ways. All Hail the OverLords!"
    [7] "Americans are bitchy little girls. Suck it. "
    [8] "Don't worry, be happy! It's for the Children! The Future is Freakin' Radiant! "
    [9] "If you're going to argue, make sure you don't disagree with me. And remember, you may say Mix, you may say Dix, but, kerud, I say Shit."

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It was Patrick Vieira who sent Lewis down.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not worth going into but I didn't rate Lewis all that highly. Having said that I agree that Ramirez should be on the list.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vieira left in June.
    Lewis joined Louisville in September.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Zimmerman isnt close to making a first team roster. My starting XI includes 5 players that could play a form of enforcer. Miazga, Yedlin, Adams, Mckennie and Wood. Brooks is mild mannered, but could be imposing as well. Not sure why you would want Zimmerman after calling so many of our defenders Troncos. He is much less mobile than Brooks or Miazga.

I dont think it was the players but the attitude Arena created in the team. Altidore protected Pulisic against Mexico. See play from 2:50... Pulisic strips the ball away, gets free and then wacked by a mexican play. Altidore immediately ran that player over. Good thing he didnt make better contact.

appwrangler and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama targeted Pulisic and eventually took him out, which ended up hurting us in the fateful match at T&T because he was gimping around. He nutted up to score a goal but didn't do much else in the match. There was no leader on the field vying for him verbally to the ref, or disincentivizing with their own rough play in revenge (it has to be targeted though or it's just going to compel more rough play).

You could also say this cascades down from a lack of leadership at the top of USS because this was happening at the youth levels too. It's a referendum on CONCACAF but also the U.S.' lack of lobbying or taking proper action to change the culture. The US could decide to sit out the CONCACAF championships for example if other repeat offenders like Honduras and El Salvador weren't forced to. But that would mean a small profit loss now for a bigger profit gain later, and we've seen these guys can't accept the former so they end up missing the World Cup, Confed Cup, and Gold Cup Final. That's a lot more than they'd lose on a youth tourney.

TimB4Last and Suyuntuy repped this.
  7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter's 2 games have been against less than MLS talent (game 1) and average MLS talent (game 2). There are those here that weigh that info too heavily IMO.

I am a loner in the camp on this one but I've always liked Lichaj's potential too. And he's versatile on a backline. Maybe not a starter but a full camper to me over the guys like Zimmerman, Opara, etc.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    These games dont tell us anything about the team. This is just a free tryout for average players to show that they can raise their game and show that they might have potential to have an impact at the international level.

I cant help you with Lichaj. I like that he is a hardened professional, but talent is less than we need to make a step up as a team. I'm usually for giving younger players a shot over veterans, but most of who I think should be our main players are young and up and comers still need some time, so would have no problem with a guy like Lichaj playing a limited role.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to transition from 4 at the back on defence to 3 at the back on offense you could get away with playing a central defender at full-back because they're not going to get caught upfield.

10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Tyler Adams and "enforcer" don't belong in the same sentence together. Or Yedlin or McKennie for that matter. Miazga or even Bobby Wood can bring out the bad boy. Much of being an effective "enforcer" is perception. If you don't carry that aura, it ain't gonna take..

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The way CR played us, you could tell they had prepared by watching the Italy game of last November.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think you have watched Adams much. He is very good at getting in a hard foul with no repercussions. Maybe it is his baby face and big smile, but he rarely gets carded. But he does get stuck in. Altidore is the opposite, has no idea how to foul and gets carded without sending a message.

Beyond goon retaliation, which some will be needed, having more options in attack and more ways to attack would take the pressure off. "Hack A CP" worked because he was all we had. If 2-3 guys are around CP ready to foul him and meanwhile Sargent and Weah are combining for goals on the other side of the field, the opponent will either lose or pull guys away from CP.

Further, if CP thinks he isn't the only option he might get rid of the ball sooner and not try to dribble five guys with the last guy nailing him.

jnielsen and Marko72 repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very true.

14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Knowing WHEN and HOW to foul is a big part of being an effective competitor. If Adams has some of that savvy at still a young age, that's all to his credit.

The answer to taking the steam off of CP is to have enough legitimate offensive threats to render him one among many.

When push comes to shove, for several reasons, Adams is not the player you want sending the subtle messages.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    All three of those guys are athletic, intense, put in hard tackles and dont back down from anyone. Adams and McKennie are both leaders and would carry an aura if deployed correctly. McKennie has already sat out a game this season for yellow card accumulation.

btlove repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it because he's American you don't think he's got the tough enough to be a central midfielder?

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    What an odd question. Nationality has nothing to do with the premise.

We are discussing the idea of having some deterrent physicality in the lineup to where the opposition isn't going to get away with one-sided bullying of your skill guys.

Adams, McKennie and Yedlin are athletic and competitive. They may be able to impose their play on the pitch but imposing that physico-psychological edge is a whole different game within the game.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams was in this week's Bundesliga team of the week, so obviously he's doing something right.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What I take away from Camp Cupcake 2019: Let's continue the build up by calling in Pulisic and Sargent and Weah and leave Adams and McKennie in Germany for the March friendlies. Adams I would call for GC for sure. Wes, I'm not so sure.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Whatever your reasoning is for this, it doesn't sound like that is the way GB is going. They are building a culture. You are going to see the best players (with an eye on 2022), in GB's opinion, called in and play. You saw it with this camp. Unlike previous cupcakes, everyone wasn't played for showing up. The best guys got all the minutes. GB is trying to actually introduce competition and professionalism to the national team. Lip service has been made to it in the past, but we know it wasn't really followed.

Adams and McKennie will be there and Roldan will have to fight for his minutes with them. Like he did with Acosta and Delgado this camp.

Or it might be a European only camp with maybe Bradley/Trapp and Steffan. MLS players will be just starting their season. Aaron Long will probably have a CCL game the day after the Chile game.

MLS guys in January, Euro guys in March, and everyone in June. A possibility.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It is possible that the only things Stewart and Berhalter wanted to take out of this camp are:

1. Learn how to teach a system in as short a time as possible
    2. Decide whether it is Trapp or Bradley going forward.

The media is pretty sure Bradley won the competition. But why are they so sure? Bradley looked good passing against Panama, but Panama was a truly low level of competition. Much worse than Bolivia, Costa Rica, or even Bosnia. Trapp's second half against CR was as good. Trapp was played with the closest to the best 11. Trapp was played against the tougher opponent.

Trapp in the first half against CR was mind boggling bad on defense. Bradley was super passive on defense. It is possible that Trapp was being recklessly over aggressive because he saw Bradley was so passive and was trying to make an impression.

Trapp is younger than Bradley by far. Bradley would have to be much better to take minutes from him at this point in the cycle.

Bradley seemed calmer in possession, but again, I would have been calm on the ball with the time and space he had.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mystery solved as to why Glad was sent home. He's in really poor form, and apparently had another similar gaffe, that time he actually got away with.

He has to re-discover confidence or motivation. If anything he should have more of the latter now that MLS seems a little more willing to sell and the national team manager a lot more so to integrate.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True, but part of the problem is that CP is often more likely to beat 5 guys (well, maybe two) than he is to see his options early enough.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is amazing that he had 5 assists in the Hex. I really enjoyed the two he played to Dempsey against Honduras... he actually had quite a a few good passes in that game playing as a number 10.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should really just develop 3 more of that guy and play all 4 of them