Camp Cupcake, Jan 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, Henry did that to a lot of defenders this year. He's still deceptively quick.

Also, if you really meant "for Kreis sake," that's ****ing brilliant.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Combines are not football.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farrell isn't 'quite slow' in any permutation. Speed combined with a decent dribble is his game. It's not even up for debate. Weird.
    Google 'Andrew Farrell Getting Fouled'. He runs from the 18 to the midfield stripe in about 4.5 seconds. This is about 40 yards (NE's field is 115 yards long, so mid is 57.5). Never mind all that, you can simply watch him and see he is fast and not anywhere near 'quite slow'. You lose all credibility, Excellency. Either you have it in for Farrell or your judgement is terrible.

wsmaugham repped this.
  4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So JK just name checked Yedlin twice when asked by Twellmen on ESPNFC which youngsters looked good in camp. He said Yedlin looked very good and he was impressed. He also mentioned Gill.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    What else was he going to say, nobody?

Which other youngsters (besides GKs) are still in camp?

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He went out of his way to mention the young players that are playing well. He was just originally asked about players that have done well. He could have said Magee or someone else who is old.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    In an article on ESPNFC.com by Jeff Carlisle, Wilmer Cabrera was quoted as saying that he thinks Yedlin could be one of the best RB's in the world eventually. Wilmer Cabrera isn't an authority on RB's, but that is huge praise from an MLS coach for an opposing player.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I don't know about that but I don't think he's long for MLS sadly. One of his first games as a pro was against Tigres in CL and I was just blown away when he hit that golazo. He's a special player.

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Tierney takes free kicks so... what are the rest of his percentages/key pass stats? Where do you find them?

Like Dempsey having a low finishing percentage with Fulham you also have to take into account the ability to make chances. The ability to create more crossing chances, while maintaining accuracy, creates value. So if one player attempted more open play crosses than another, while maintaining a similar level of efficacy, that player created more value for his team. This case seems to clearly illustrate that. So does that make one player better in this area? To evaluate that you take into account system and teammate effects. Seeing as I actually watched nearly all of Seattle and Colorado's games last season I can assure you that these teams were pretty evenly matched, relative to their opponents, and that both of these fullbacks were given similar levels of freedom to move into attack. If anything Yedlin was given more freedom near the end of the season. Once you also factor in Klute's increased propensity to hit crosses with his "weak" foot clearly he has the edge in this department.

As far as Harrington's increased experience goes, it all came in MLS and he was outperformed by a near rookie who is largely superior to him on the intangibles, but soccer is a weak-link game. The thinking goes that a team's ideal weak-link player should be someone with an incredible work ethic, a good attitude, who believes that they can control their contribution to the side through their effort. I think we can all immediately think of a former USMNT fullback who fits this description to a t. Harrington is likely closer to filling that role than Klute, even though I think there's an outside chance Klute will grow into being a valuable asset at the international level by June. The question as a coach is when does that happen, what will it take, and am I falling into the common coaching trap of being risk adverse.

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    When Henry turns it on (and he does, smartly, pace himself these days) he's the fastest player I've ever seen.

That is all.

11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klute won't make it. Klinsmann saw something he didn't like. That or he completely played like crap against Sao Paulo FC.

12. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1687 drgonzo, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Remember when Mix got sent back home during a B squad friendly a while back? I wont read too much into it. He might still have a chance.

On a separate note, kudos to Robbie Keane who before the season started was praising Magee up and down. He called him a level DP player and how he wanted to see if he had any Irish blood in him so he can play for Ireland. I remember reading a lot of "Magee is good but he's not good enough to be a DP"and "Robbie you so crazy" talk on this forum. I can't lie and say I wasn't one of those people. So props to Keane.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also mentioned Shane O'Neill.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    World Cup: Graham Zusi vs. Landon Donovan on USMNT? Jurgen Klinsmann talks midfield

http://worldcupfootballnews.com/wor...van-on-usmnt-jurgen-klinsmann-talks-midfield/

15. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, years ago. Not anymore. He times his runs well so it looks like he's faster than his opponent. However, in a flat out sprint, there are plenty in MLS alone faster than him, much less the rest of the world.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  16. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    No I was talking about last season. Usually once a game or so, but it's there.

Getting to see him in person the past few years has been quite the treat.

17. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've loved to see him in his prime at Arsenal (live).

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Henry's gait is incredible. Catching him from behind is a nightmare.

Farrell otoh runs with a hitch and weird gait. His first step is good. I like him better as a midfielder where his first step can create passing chances.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since Harrington didn't make the 18 today I'm gonna guess that his possible inclusion in the WC squad is completely shot.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You should go see him now live. I did and enjoyed it. Watched O'Neill take him out in the box with a masterful tackle. Henry looked a little shocked afterwards., like wtf.....

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Same could very likely be said about Magee.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have to assume you have not seen much of Farrell! Dude has serious wheels. He may well have been faked out by Henry but he is a beast: strong and quite fast.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welllllll....... unfortunately none of the exciting subs really made an impact; benny f, yedlin, or gil. Looks like the later two are fixtures for next cycle and this cycle was a taster. Will say im a bit disappointed yedlin didnt get more of a chance, and 15 minutes is a bit much to show what you got.

Benny i sincerely wanted to see him grab it by the horns, but he was just a guy.

The biggest takeaways were stock of some peripheral guys; you would THINK that Davis and Evans stock is down after that peformance, and Wondows is up.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

man i hate mls refs! they really suck and ruin the game often. Farrell is a beast...he's better than yedlin from what i've seen.

25. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Magee was out with food poisoning. He may still well have thoroughly impressed JK. We just have no way of knowing.