Camp Cupcake, Jan 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 18, 2013.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    This is the big one - last chance to impress Jurgen and sneak onto the roster. Only 4-5 players from this Camp will probably end up on the roster. The others will have to wait until post-WC to get their chance.

Here's an early guess, based on how the MLS season has been going:

G (3): Rimando, Hamid, Johnson, Hall.
    No surprises here. Steve Clark from Norway has an outside chance.

CB (5): Gonzalez, Besler, Goodson, John, Okugo.
    The first three have a legit shot at making the roster. I don't think we'll see Boca here though, his time has passed.

FB (5): Evans, Yedlin, Farrell, Williams, Ashe.
    Can one of these guys play LB? Weak pickings here. Very low chances any of them will make WC.

CM (5): Diskeruud, Beckerman, Feilhaber, McCarty, O'Brien.
    Probably none of them make WC roster. But they need to be ready in case of injury.
    Outside looking in: Rico Clark, Duka, Powers, Jacobson, Farfan, Gil.

W (4): Donovan, Zusi, Davis, Nguyen.
    Really think Lee should get a shot, he draws a lot of fouls and has creativity. Also commits a lot of fouls though.
    Outside looking in: Mapp, Pontius, Rogers, Salinas, Alexander, Avila, Rowe

F (4): Wondow, Agudelo, EJ, McInerney
    There's going to be a battle for striker places. Any of them could make it, but not all.
    Outside looking in: Magee, Bruin, Casey, Gordon, Buddle, Findley, Cooper, Zardes

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I would hope and think Luis Gil would get called up, if for anything some experience.

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Normally I would agree with you, but this is the last Camp Cupcake before the World Cup. I think the focus should be on players who could plausibly make the 2014 World Cup team. I like Gil, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet. That being said if he did end making the squad, it would make way more sense that Conor Lade did last year!

Wessoman repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure if Bruin is scoring he's a lock for the Camp call-up though has no shot of making the WC roster. Magee deserves to be called up, but maybe too old. Casey, Buddle, Gordon definitely too old. Findley/Cooper no chance.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    GK: Sean Johnson, Nick Rimando, Bill Hamid

RB: Andrew Farrell, DeAndre Yedlin, Sheanon Williams

CB: Amobi Okugo, George John, Carlos Bocanegra, Matt Hedges, Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Shane O'Neill

LB: Chris Klute and Corey Ashe

CM: Mix Diskerud, Dax McCarty, Kyle Beckerman, Conor O'Brien, Brad Evans

AM's: Luis Gil, Kelyn Rowe, Landon Donovan

Wingers: Nick DeLeon, Graham Zusi, Justin Mapp, Chris Pontius

Forwards: Juan Agudelo, Jack McInerney, Eddie Johnson, Mike Magee

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good list, might include Klute at LB

Id like to think Rowe stands a stronger chance he's been phenomenal this season.

I hope John and/or Okugo are brought in for a chance.....

And maybe i rate the chances of a right back MLS breakthrough higher than others. I really, really think there is an outstanding chance one of Yedlin or Farrell makes the brazil roster. Old broke down Dolo, Parky getting no PT with his club, and Chandler being Chandler. If there is a youth breakout donovan/beasley 2002 style, its right back, and we are ripe for it.

SJB repped this.
  7. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Add Chris Klute to the list as the LB and add me to the list of people that wouldn't be totally surprised to see one of the young RBs go, not a high percentage chance but given what we have to choose from...
    As a Revs fan I would vote for Rowe ahead of Nguyen but I could see others going the other way. I don't see either as this cycle guys and I only see Rowe as a potential next cycle guy.

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, people refer to this camp as Camp Strudel.

Though, I was thinking maybe it should be called Kamp Konditore, since Klinsmann was a baker, or possibly Camp Black Forest Cake (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte).

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

I'm a purist - I prefer cupcake. A cupcake is a soft player who needs to be toughened up. But a Strudel is just a pastry.

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agudelo is almost certainly going to be in another league in January. I am pretty certain his contract is set to expire and he's planning on going elsewhere. So he probably won't be available. Same might be true for Omar Gonzalez, depending upon how contract negotiations go with the Galaxy.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adu should be included here. I don't see the harm in bringing him in.

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he ever gets normal playing time then I wouldn't mind it but until then....NO.

YankBastard and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think the 2014 Camp Cupcake only features an all MLS/Scandinavian lineup of players who are going to help us in Brazil. As it is a camp, I picked 23 players to work together for a few weeks during the long MLS break.

Furthermore, I want the opponent to be top notch competition. This year, we should try to aim for Japan. The J-League is in break from December to March usually. Japan has already qualified and will probably attempt to do the same thing was we will be--The last chance to try out domestic talent before the show in Brazil. Or maybe an African team, like Egypt, who perhaps qualified and are hungry, or a domestic South Korean squad, who will also have a break. The point is, Camp Cupcake makes no sense unless we play an opponent who is willingly trying to do the same thing as we are and will play with motivated, hungry players trying to crack their perspective rosters. Also, I would not mind a road game for the camp. A little winter trip to Asia (Especially Japan) would suit us fine.

So, my 23-man roster would be:

GK: S. Johnson, Hamid, Hartman
    DF: Besler, Gonzalez, Beltran, Oroszco, Parkhurst, Klute, John
    MF: Beckerman, Magee, Feilhaber, Diskerud, Zusi, Mapp, Pontius, E. Johnson, Evans
    FW: Donovan, MacInerney, Agudelo, Wondolowski

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games minimum for me.

Fine with your picks except for Mapp and Pontius, not much chance from my view.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am amazed at how little attention George John has gotten lately. FC Dallas was in first place until he got hurt and now they're in a freefall. He was playing great and yet no All-Star team and not even a mention on someone's list of who got snubbed. Maybe he should go play for Greece as it seems no one here thinks much of the guy.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greece feels the same way...

Not sure why exactly but no body seems to like him outside MLS.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ive probably been his staunchest rational minded defender, i really dont get it, the guy looks every bit the part. He makes Hedges look good lol

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Rimando, S.Johnson, Hamid
    CB: Besler, Gonzalez, John,O'Neill
    RB: Evans, Yedlin
    LB: Ashe, Klute
    CM: Beckerman, Mix, Gil, O'Brien/Okugo
    Wing: Zuzi, E. Johnson, Magee, Pontius/Nguyen
    FW: Donovan, Wondo, JMac, Bruin

Basically an MLS roster since we don't have many difference makers in the Scandinavian leagues at the moment (is this a good thing?).

As others have said, mainly a camp to help those last few guys get a roster spot for 2014.

I'm really hoping there is some sort of youth (U-23) camp as well.

19. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think with his injuries, jk might see it as too much of a gamble. but still, i'd like us to cap him so greece won't (not that i think they will, as they should be set at cb)

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him being out four games has shown he has made all the players around him better. Have to believe he is big reason why Zach Loyd hasn't looked as good while GJ is out. He is a beast this year (literally as during the San Jose game he was beating the crap out of San Jose's goons and they were complaining about it).

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually expect most MLS players on WC roster fringe to work out some loan deal to Europe to get ready. Like Landon used to do with Everton.

I think this camp will be for younger players to get a taste with a few veterans (Beckerman) tossed in for leadership, etc.

22SteveD repped this.
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ever since the beginning of the season i made a thing of focusing on him specifically this season because he was the consensus "next man up", i only knew him casually before and always thought him a good defender so i wanted to get a good solid look this year. And my god......it is a travesty he is not in the program. He could seriously be our best defender right now in the pool, Ive been saying that since day one. He is no worse than Besler, and i personally think he is better. Id go to battle with Besler and John in the middle and not lose a wink over it. I would not be concerned with ball watching like Gonzo and GCam.

and that San Jose game really drove it home to me. i wanted to see how he did against the bash brothers, and man did he stand up. He pushed right back, and got the best of them. Hes got that fight in him that Michael Bradley does, just a born leader. we are sorely missing that in the back.

23. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    With your handle, what is your take on the Gooch release and the Gonzalez recall? did Malaga reup Gooch in which case this return makes sense. But I have not heard that. You?

Matrim55 repped this.
  24. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll see guys who are projected to be Starting 11 or top 16 or so: Gonzo, Besler, Zusi, LD, EJ. If something happens to where their form drops off big time, maybe.

Converted54 and comoesa repped this.
  25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he should be given a serious look. He's on my roster.

I really don't think so. JK is going to use Camp Strudel as a way to give our MLS talent one or two matches in the long offseason outside FIFA dates. He will probably have a long camp to keep people in match shape and practice quite a bit. The important thing is that the vets play with the new guys and the guys on the verge. It shows that every spot is up for grabs, that there are no "True" starters. Everybody still has to fight for a spot until the final 23 is announced. And quite frankly, the vets will need the games.

If I could add two non-FIFA dates, I would like to have Japan or South Korea on the Road, and a home game against a Scandinavian team, maybe Sweden.