Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right but you won't have an incentive to play a borderline player with the hope he will improve down the line for a loanee. And that precisely describes the developmental situation for many young players.

2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is a borderline player for a team like Tottenham, but proving he is a star in the championship. I get the development argument, but if there is a player that can help and the coach sees it, then whose player he is next season doesn't really matter.

I get your side of the discussion but I ardently believe that high level footy is a meritocracy. The best players for the most part play. Certainly there are deviations from the rule but the exceptions do not alter the generalization.

You earn minutes on the pitch during training. A player that is good enough will get a shot, and he has to take the chance. Most of the time when a player doesn't get minutes on the pitch it is simply because they are not better than the guy in front of them. CCV has shown he is a solid championship player.

He really doesn't need to make a fuss, Spurs are watching over their investment. If spurs don't see a spot for him they will sell him on. If they don't shop him it will be because they still think he might be a player for them. It worked out okay for DY and it will be fine for CCV.

3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV is one of the best young CB prospects in Europe, people thinking they know his level at this point are idiots. Has anyone seen John Stones, the supposed hope of England play? Dude is 5 years older and is a complete bonehead, making multiple major errors per game, at 19 he was playing for Barnsley and now he plays for the best team in the EPL by a wide margin.

There are very few good center backs in the world right now and most of them are very old and CCV is as good a bet as almost any 19 year old to be among the best in time. Dude is an animal and we are lucky to have him.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Switch out John Stones for any one of England's great hopes in the last 10 years and you get the same answer. "Yes, and woof he's awful."

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called up for the US match- senior side.

6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I think Alli is very good, at least.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  8. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Wrong end of a penalty in the 20th minute. Down 1-0 as a result.

Winoman repped this.
  9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying CCV committed the foul that caused the penalty?

10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yes

comoesa repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for those of us who don't follow the Championship, how good is he? I'm always worried our bias might effectively declare every US player to have such a high potential.

I want to know what his club thinks of his performances or how he ranks in comparison to other defenders in his division.

12. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really follow the C'ship closely either but he was loaned to Ipswich on Jan. 19th and started a game on the 20th and has started and gone 90 in all 12 games they have played since. So I would say they think highly of his performance.

sXeWesley and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    We also should be considering the team that he was loaned to for the first half of the year let him go back to spurs due to thinking they would not play him much, maybe he's somewhere in the middle.

striker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1714 VBCity72, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    You could say that but he was a regular starter for Sheffield for most of the first half of the season if I remember correctly. He had a few bad games and his confidence was shook. Instead of letting him regain his confidence they decided since he was only on loan to not bother, cut their loses and let Spurs figure out what to do with him. I think it was a good choice honestly.

Edit: Played in a total of 17 league games: Started 17, Subbed out 4; 58, 68, 69 and 31 mins.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He did well enough for Ipswich coach Mick McCarthy to go on record as saying that he'd like to put a bid in for CCV for next season, on loan, obviously. Since McCarthy and the club have agreed to part ways at the end of the season, it's not going to happen at Ipswich, but he's a well-respected coach, especially at this level, and is unlikely to be out of a job for long. It wouldn't surprise me to see him playing for Mick at another club next season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
  18. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some insight on CCV next season from a Spurs Q&A
    Will Poch look to buy a replacement centre-back or is there still future hope for Carter-Vickers? (if Alderweireld departs)

If anyone’s got a chance, it’s him. I wouldn’t be surprised though to see Poch try to get him another loan next season at either a promoted Premier League side or a Championship one fighting for promotion

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/live-spurs-toby-alderweireld-truth-14496138

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan, Namdynamo and DeCoverley repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lost 1-0. (PK for foul by Knudsen) Post-game with CC-V

HartwickFan, Winoman and Streaky Bacon repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan and Winoman repped this.
  22. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Went 90' in a 1-0 win

The Ipswich manager quit after the game

Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jazzy Altidore and TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire