Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never saw a transfer window he could pass up...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/35071/

TWTD understands former Blues Daryl Murphy and Cameron Carter-Vickers are on Paul Lambert’s lengthy list of potential January loan signings.

TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he should join Bolton or Wolverhampton then...

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the bench to start, subbed on in the 21st minute for Joe Rodon (presumably for injury).

0-0 at halftime v. Sheffield United

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Swansea win 1-0 on a McBurnie goal from a corner, and jump from 13th to 9th in the table.

6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chance that starts of the highlight video below begins with the player CCV is holding up flicking the ball of his body into the path of a runner and ends with the player he is marking getting off a point blank shot that the keeper makes a kick save on.

At 0:36 he deflects a cross right at his own keeper from inside the 6.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Didn't see the first half. The deflection didn't seem that bad, but I do wonder what he was doing on that first sequence. He looked solid in the second half.

My, how this guy has fallen. Less than 2 years ago, he was arguably our biggest young prospect behind CP. Now he'd have to be 6-7 at the very best. Of course, we have some guys who have really come on strong since then.

autobus39 repped this.
  8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Fallen? Name another American CB under the age of 21 almost 50 appearances in a league at or above Championship level?

For comparison purposes, Miazga had 34 when he got transferred at pretty much the exact age (even in months) that CCV is now. The real drop has been Erik Palmer-Brown. But CCV? He was never going to break into Tottenham. He either needs to move to the Championship or make like all the other English players and head to Germany.

Either way though, he's a CB and those are always going to take awhile longer to develop. It's simply more conducive to a team winning to have a flash of 10-15 minutes as an attacker and contribute to to a goal than it is to start a young defender who's going to have 15-20 bad minutes that leads to goals and points lost.

9. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I'm actually a big fan. The guy has lot of potential, and I've been cheering for him all along. But yes, I think it's clear that his standing relative to other young Americans has dropped a lot. CP was the only one clearly above him 2 years ago (in my opinion--there certainly were very few if any)--In terms of attention paid to them on BS. Today, McKennie, Sargent, Weah, (possibly--Miazga, Gooch, Wright, Adams), and at least 1 or 2 goalkeepers are getting more attention. And that's just in Europe. Several MLS kids are getting more attention as well.

As for the fact that he "was never going to make it" at Spurs. That's rubbish. He was receiving a lot of attention, and glowing comments from Spurs management. Go back a year and a half ago on BS and see if you can find some statements from posters saying he's never going to make it. If you were confident that was true, surely you posted it somewhere back then. You'll need some luck to find those posts.

Those top-end possibilities haven't materialized. The reason I wrote all of this was that I switched on the TV and there he was on the field. And on BS, no one seemed to care about it. He's definitely dropped down the "next big thing" list quite a bit on BS. He was a pretty big deal 2 years ago, but as I said, then again we've had a lot of really good prospects pop up recently.

Still think he's good enough to get a starting job somewhere. People need to learn that he's strictly a Central Defender. He's absolutely terrible outside. One problem is that you don't usually carry as many of those guys on your roster as you do more versatile guys. But I do think he's good enough to play and start on a bottom half of Premier League or equivalent team, maybe even better. He still needs to minimize his errors, but he can look very, very solid at times.

So, in short, I don't disagree with you. He has done pretty well. But that there are plenty of teams in the Premier League that aren't as good as Tottenham. He's English (mostly, aside from ancestry), so I couldn't blame him for wanting to stay in his home country. I'd agree that Spurs at this point isn't likely at all.

superdave, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finished 4-1 to Swansea. CCV played 90 and got a yellow card in the 13th minute. Swansea are in to the last 16 of the FA Cup.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the lineup and was pleasantly surprised!

15. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Rodon broke a bone in his foot and is expected to be out of action for around 6 weeks. CCV should get a good run of games now, up to him to take the opportunity.

TxEx and USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Ah good glad to see this loan back on track.

We need someone to challenge Miazga and provide cover for when Brooks is injured, aside from those improving in MLS.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He slotted in because of injury and they seem to be getting good results with him in. Have to take advantage of these opportunities, and he is. :thumbsup:

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    5th straight start in all competitions. :thumbsup:

largegarlic, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A late penalty cut the deficit to 2-1, but Swansea still lost. That result is probably a little better than expected, as it vaults Leeds to the top of the league.

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In another note, Jack Harrison scored the 2nd goal for Leeds. He's done very well this year in a real promotional race

wixson7 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Think he’s got a good chance of going on loan to a premier league side next season?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.