Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't call that a small scuffle, at least not what Carter-Vickers did. CCV could have seriously hurt Arellano. He sucker punched him. If you want to say the majority of it was pushing and shoving, then I'd agree with you but one of the players that you can't say was just pushing and shoving was Carter-Vickers. If this some sort of league game, he probably gets suspended at least a few games, maybe more.

2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    nah he pushed him. fighting on concrete and grass there is a huge difference in risk(the main reason people get injured is usually hitting there head on the ground). Also If youve seen enough soccer scuffles you'd know that they tend to exaggerate any bit of contact.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think is an exaggeration. He didn't "absolutely deck" or "sucker punch" him. I ran into him. Somewhere between a shoulder charge and a hip check. I'm not sure he gets a red card for it. As I mentioned in the YNT forum, number six for the US had the most egregious foul. CV responded to the multiple US fouls and defended his teammates. I'm sure all of the players look forward to having an enforcer like him on their team.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are still recruiting this kid (CCV) no need to give him bad blood wearing our national colors.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I believe the correct term would be a forearm shiver.

bballshawn repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Is there a reason you quoted my post? I was claiming that CCV's contact was less than the poster had described and that his role was no different than many others in the altercation. This whole thing is a nonevent and not sure why anyone would blow this up into anything more.

Hard to tell from the camera angle. It could have been a shoulder or a forearm. Given where he grew up, it's unlikely he has had much chance to perfect a forearm shiver.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are right about the "sucker punch" comment. It might not have been a sucker punch, it might have been a sucker tackle.

Either way, whatever language you want to use to describe it, CCV comes charging from behind and flattens Arellano. This punch/tackle/charge/hit was what escalated the brawl.

I'm not going to get down on him as a player because of it, but its inexcusable behavior and it was way out of line.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Why are you singling CCV out? Because he is so much bigger than the other guy? Why aren't you saying the same thing about number 6 who pushed the forward to the ground from behind or cute little Zendejas who got more shoves in than anyone, including one to the back of the goalkeeper.

He was protecting his teammates. His forward had been fouled, pulled to the ground and then shoved from behind. His initial contact was excessive, but as a fan or coach, it shows intelligence that it was with his body and not fist, foot or head. Personally I don't ever like this, but it is part of sports.

Nothing really escalated after this. People ran on the field and shoving match continued.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not saying he's the only one who did it, but unless any of those other Tottenham players are American, what they do in a brawl doesn't really concern me, as long as they aren't seriously harming any of our players.

I'm also not saying he shouldn't defend his teammates, but I'd much rather see him trying to break up the fight and pulling people away from it than being one of the biggest parts of it.

Its not the biggest deal in the world because it seems like everyone is okay, but he could have seriously harmed Arellano. He's a lot bigger and stronger than him and he's blindsiding him with a punch/tackle/hit. I just hope next time that things get a little heated when he's on the field, he can show some leadership and try to solve the problem rather than making it worse.

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Mods,. Please start a "CCV is a bully" thread. Thx

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know a lot of people are excited about the possibility of Zelalem, but I think Carter-Vickers could be just as good. He's really good already and he's a day from being eligible to play for our U-17's. For some perspective, he's a day younger than Joe Gallardo. He also is about to sign a professional contract and one of the knowledgeable posters about Tottenham's academy on one of the Spurs boards was saying he might be the best youth CB in all of England. I just hope he stays with the USA and doesn't switch over to England. Would he be provisionally cap-tied if he played in U-20 WCQ?

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. He would have to file to switch.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And actually the only outrageous thing about the brawl was incompetence of our coaches unable to control the bench.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he would be provisionally cap-tied AND would have to file a switch to move to another FA.

justinpaul10 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Hopefully he does. He's English not American.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that is what I said :)

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the question and what you said:

Would he be provisionally cap-tied if he played in U-20 WCQ?

Nope. He would have to file to switch.

So, yes, he would be provisionally cap-tied. Gotta make sure the semantics are correct. :)

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.

BostonRed repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I don't even know who Joe Gallardo is. I'm going to guess Ex-Chivas USA.... or hmmm Pachuca..!?

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Monterrey. He's a member of the U-17 residency team that many people are really excited about, and with good reason. It just shows how far ahead that CCV is of other players his age that a comparison between these two of who's better is laughable, although they are only one day apart and Gallardo is thought of very highly.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  22. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV makes the US U20 CONCACAF Championship roster. This goes a long way in keeping him playing for the US as he'll have to make a one time switch if he were to play for England once he debuts for the US.

bballshawn and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central defense duo of Cameron Carter-Vickers and Matt Miazga interviewed ahead of tonight's U20 game

Link here

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You down with CCV? Yeah you know me. You down with CCV? Yeah you know me. You down with CCV? Yeah you know me.

Who's down with CCV?