Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really talked about CCV much being an American Tottenham fan.

*Caution, pretty long....

The one thing Spurs have typically done well with is homegrown CBs. CCV did get a bit fortunate that Milos went to Middlesborough, so he got the opportunity to step in, when/if he comes back he they might start together. Milos most would argue is the clubs best prospect on the defensive side of the ball right now.

Actually some people were annoyed that he was loaned in the first place. With the injuries in defense and players having to play out of position in some matches, I think the majority of fans would prefer Milos over Vlad who may not ever cut it. On tour in America he was our best performing defender (though Vert was on break). Middlesborough only took him on loan for depth, not sure what good this loan will do.

CCV looks like he could be a fantastic prospect. Tottenham had a pretty good group of Under-21 players not too long ago, a few are with the first team like Kane, Bentaleb and Mason and some are out on loan right now trying to impress like Pritchard or Coulthirst. A few players from that cycle could be playing with him right now. Actually, I saw the Liverpool roster and I think at least 3 of their U21 squad used to play for Spurs U21 that cycle and followed Inglethorpe up to Liverpool.

The current U21 group CCV is playing with is pretty young. There's a few prospects that I would say are tweeners between the last good group and the group CCV should be playing with, a lot of players in that age group don't have the same buzz as the groups before or after them, good example are guys like Akindayini or Winks. Thus far they haven't jumped out at me, but they are highly rated by some.

CCV's peers though seem to be pretty good, that cycle and I guess you can say the one under him are pretty highly touted - there's guys like Edwards (the kid who scored the free kick when our U15's hammered England 5-1) Azzaoui, Loft, Maghoma, Kyle Walker-Peters to name a few and the group he could be playing with (I think) just won a U17 tournament.

[​IMG]

I expect the results to be a little up and down for awhile. People should remember that the team is one in transition because the most recent cycle aren't really that talented and have been gutted of all the better players for one reason or another. I expect the results to pick up once some of these guys start to mature and be pretty damn good. Better than the team that could have been in the NextGen final if not for a technicality.

The players I mentioned might see some time with the U21s as well moving forward, Azzaoui is one of the better prospects we have, people are saying Edwards can be very special, Kyle Walker-Peters might be better than the other one (and he plays LB so there is a chance that two Kyle Walkers will be on the flanks at some point).

I could see CCV playing maybe a couple seasons in the U21s before going on loan somewhere, I think the club might want to keep him with that team for awhile, get coached and play with some of his peers.

I hope he sticks with the USMNT but honestly I can't see why England wouldn't come for him soon and I'm not sure how strong his connection is to the USA. I just don't see why a player who is impressing at Tottenham on youth levels would get overlooked by England, though it did take them awhile to start calling up Pritchard but I think that might be a Pearce thing.

The USA getting there first may have some bearing on a potential decision. Then of course Klinsmann is well respected around those parts. Also I wouldn't put it past Levy being for him playing for the USA for marketing purposes, pushing him in that direction.

wixson7, BostonRed, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    4" taller that 5-8 is 6-0, not 6-2. That's about right in the highlights and pictures I've seen.
    Pineda is listed at 6-1 so CCV looks alittle shorter 6-0 for a 16 yr old.
    [​IMG]

LouisZ repped this.
  3. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    #78 Namdynamo, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    If you are judging their height from that picture, CCV is taller than Pineda. Look at the straight line on the ceiling, the top of CCV head is in line with it while Pineda head is lower. It's all about perspective.

Pineda has fluffy hair as well.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    OK, I thought I read somewhere Pineda was listed as 6-1 and CCV at 6-0. No big deal either way. Not going to look for it now.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

He's #6. Got beat for speed on the first play in the highlights by an incredibly fast player, but didn't result in a goal. On another sequence, a long pass split him and the LB. Seemed to be positioned poorly. Not at fault for either goal. Like most highlights, it doesn't give you a real idea of how he played. He could have been horrible or great, and we wouldn't know without watching the game.

Sup Bro, wixson7 and Testudo repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

This game was on the 27th. CCV is #6. The highlights are long, but CCV looks very good in them. Highlights never tell the full picture of the game, but the highlights essentially make it seem like CCV marked Solanke out of the game. Thats so impressive if true, considering that Solanke is the best striker from his birth year in England and he might even be the best player from his birth year in England.

Tom Collingsworth, wixson7 and Testudo repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and (TxT) repped this.
  9. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History would show those first two year deals have an option in them which I believe is a club option. I think that's how we do contracts for players like him and I even think there's an option we can pick up that gives them significantly more years and a first team salary. I say this because of how as soon as a player breaks through on loan or in the first team he seems to get like a 4 year deal, every time like clockwork and you never hear the players talking about contract negotiations.

11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    CCV is currently in Florida with Spurs U18s. He scored a goal yesterday against Toluca and will play against the US U17s tomorrow.

wixson7 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he was born one day later, he could be playing with the US U-17's.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just amazed the kid can hold his own even when playing with the U23. The sky is the limit with this kid.

14. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should just follow in the steps of the legend Sol Campbell. He knew when to leave and play for the correct club in North Londong ;) Made quite the career for himself, I hear...

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I completely agree. Crazy to think that he's only one day older than Joe Gallardo. I know Gallardo's rated pretty highly for our U-17's, but certainly I don't think anyone would expect him to play for our U-23's at this point. Just shows how advanced and good that CCV is.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Hopefully he'll be in Florida in a little over a week from now for the U20 WCQ camp.

17. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #92 SoCalYid, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Thankfully he's not a scumbag like Judas.

Though him switching academies at his age wouldn't put him in his class. London clubs often swap players that are around his age. Throughout our history though it's been more Tottenham and West Ham because one of our more heavily active regions for youth football is right on the DMZ between Tottenham and West Ham, so there's a lot of crossover. Arsenal traditionally draw kids from West or South London, Tottenham from North and East London, also Essex.

18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV is from Southend by the way, which is in Essex. You can tell he's from by his accent. Which isn't as bad as some Essex accents, sometimes they can be like nails on a chalkboard.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know. Almost all English accents sound the same to me, but maybe I'm just not that familiar with them. The only one's that I can distinguish from the rest are Liverpool accents.

20. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, well I grew up in London (and Italy) so I can pick them out. Not always but sometimes you can tell what part of London someone is from by their accent. Italians have different accents as well, like Totti for example has a very distinctive Roman way of talking you might not pick up. Cannavaro has a southern accent, I lived in Naples and he sounds like so many of my friends.

There's loads of different English accents - scouse, manc, geordie, west country, bristolian, cockney, essex (which similar to cockney), etc. I always liked listening to Ian Holloway interviews, not just because of the absurd sh-t he says but he has a great West Country accent.

People with Essex accents where CCV is from have a reputation of being less intelligent, not really fairly. Similar to Southern accents in America. Then there are guys like Joey Essex who don't do that stereotype any favors.

Winoman repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure its just that I'm not that familiar with them. I didn't grew up in England like you did, so I'm really not as familiar. The Liverpool(scouse) accent really sticks out to me, so I can tell that apart from the rest, but thats pretty much it.

22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you were to spend some time there it would be pretty evident pretty quickly. we've the same, obviously-- new york vs california, minnesota vs. georgia for example. i think england is even more stratified, with london being split into several distinct accents, and they have a more evident accent for rich/educated vs poor/uneducated. i've always liked how you can't tell here how much money or schooling someone has had simply based on how they sound.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be a good example?

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Spurs U-18 got into a benches clearing brawl against the US U-17's today, which ended in the match being called.

The uncomfortable part of it is that Carter-Vickers was one of the main player that made it into a full-on benches clearing brawl. There was a little bit of pushing and shoving after a hard foul, but CCV ran like 40 yards to absolutely deck Hugo Arellano, which is the point where the brawl got a lot worse. I hope this doesn't make any U-20 camps uncomfortable for the next U-20 cycle.

He also scored against Toluca's U-18's in the same tournament yesterday.

(TxT) and wixson7 repped this.
  25. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Meh a small scuffle. No need to call the game. Sports has gotten soft post malice at the palace.