Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he gets an offer in the C'ship, though it might be a lower placed side who needs cheap reinforcements. Whatevs, the guy ain't the answer to the US' defensive frailties anyway.

WheezingUSASupport and largegarlic repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he that bad or simply not at the level of the likes of Miazga and Brooks?

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Miazga's on a lower placed Championship side and not even playing currently.

5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone that pays 4m for him is signing up for buyers remorse.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't think he's bad. At all.

Tom Collingsworth and scholes181818 repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Reading is 11 pts. above Stoke.

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    My bad if that's what @ttrevett meant (lower placed was his term) - I read it as generally low level of the Championsip not necessarily lower than Stoke (seems like Reading has climbed up further than I realized lately as well though).

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like CCV quite a bit. But the guy needs to find a team where he can grow. The loan army thing has run its corse since it's all been to the same level of teams. He's actually played a ton of soccer for his age (22 today) but he's been nothing more than a stopgap option for very average to bad Championship teams. Any player is going to stagnate in that path

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what do you mean that any player will stagnate at that level? Because he’s temporary for each team or that teams at that level can’t develop defenders? Or something else?

thanks.

striker repped this.
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This season, it seem like everyone is 11 points above Stoke.

The club's in freefall and it looks like one of those cases where it doesn't matter who is in charge (and O'Neill has a very impressive track record) or in the squad, the process will just have to play/ burn itself out

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't think @bshredder was making a point about the Championship per se, but the kinds of teams that are taking him and/or the basis on which they're taking him. So far he's landed in not very good ones that are on the way down, or have no investment in him and therefore won't work much on improving him or adjusting their game or new recruitment to bring the best out of him.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    According to the Guardian Rumour Mill, Spurs are set to recall CCV due to insufficient PT with another loan in the offing. Derby was the destination mentioned

Winoman repped this.
  14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    #2164 PaulGascoigne, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe, maybe not

his previous stint at Ipswich for the second half of the 2017/18 season went well and the club has tried to bring him back before - they actually wanted him to stay but couldn’t come to terms with another loan or transfer

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Going down to League One has done wonders for Gooch. He looks much better than he did in the Championship. I don't see why it can't help CCV.

edcrocker repped this.
  17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't tell if serious or tongue in cheek. League One would probably feel like a slap in the face for him. Gooch had to get relegated down to League One to end up there. CCV would have to choose to go...

Deeneaus and largegarlic repped this.
  18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I've been skeptical about CCV's upside for a while. By that I mean I never thought he would make it at a club the level of Spurs but might instead end up a Championship/EPL tweener like Ream. I didn't think he'd fall as low as being a League One/Championship tweener.

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think CCV could be a decent Championship level defender - maybe higher. But his past is cause for some concern.

The problem is that his resume consists of four different loans to the Championship, none of them were to a promotional contender, and two of them were terminated early due to him getting benched.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We're not here to worry, though, we're here to push - and ideally, move - product. We need you to stay positive during this critical moment.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm in R&D though, not PR. We get paid to find out stuff and be brutally honest about it. The people who receive our info decide what to do with it, though: cover it in makeup, never disclose it, be honest, or just lie.

I follow the same procedure here: I watch, I tell what I see, and if it doesn't look good, I'm honest about it. I doubt CCV has much of a future anywhere higher than the Championship, and that excluding the best teams seeking promotion.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There's no place to go but up!

Edit: or down, as the case may be.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Cue heroic music for dramatic season turn-around!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kind of hoping for a loan to the Houston Dynamo since he’s worked so well with Tab and would actually have a manager who likes him a lot

Tom Collingsworth and ChicagoVT repped this.