Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full lineup:

2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ended 1-1

@bungadiri Cameron Carter-Vickers at Ipswich Town (On loan from Spurs)

3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's kind of crazy. Wasn't the loan just announced yesterday? Talk about a vote of confidence in a new signing...

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, my Yahoo Sports app had them in a 3-2-3-1 because CCV was probably not even listed as part of the team yet.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They Got a Panzer, We Got a Tractor: Carter-Vickers @ Ipswich Town.

PS: Ipswich are known as "The Tractor Boys," the area long being an agricultural & heavy duty agri-equipment hub.

ttrevett repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Skimming thru Ipswich fan forum, not getting much info from his performance..

-The new boys had their introductions. Cameron was ordinary.
    - CCV checked out his new team mates and started a lovely move with a cross-quadrant long ball that draws polite applause.
    - CCV looks a hell of a signing. He calms us on the ball and we've played ourselves out from the back when he's been involved.
    - CCV did well

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Usually, when the fans don't talk of a defender it means he did fine, but when they don't talk of an attacker it means he didn't do well.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CCV and the left back combine to lose the Bolton goal scorer (0:49).

@bungadiri Cameron Carter-Vickers at Ipswich Town (on loan from Spurs)

freisland repped this.
  9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1609 FirstStar, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Hmmm. We are ignoring the opportunity to double up on weapons here. Vickers manufactured a particularly effect machine gun used by the Brits in WWI (and prob still in early WWII, although I think it was widely replaced as a squad weapon by the Bren gun). On my phone, so harder to research. I’ll be back.

I’m back. Had the Vickers confused with the Lewis. Still mostly right, except the Vickers was a heavy (platoon level) tripod mounted machine gun used throughout WW1 and WW2. Was also mounted on early fighter aircraft (it’s the gun you see in movies that fire through the propeller- the closed bolt allowed it to be synchronized with the propeller blades).

So, Weston might be a little German tank, but Cameron is a heavy British machine gun. Cheers.

Winoman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    must we call him CCV? it strains my eyes. Can't we just call him Cam or THA CARTER?

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not sure he is saying that at all. It's an odd quote and the phrasing doesn't indicate an issue.

The full original article gives the reasons.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...talks-about-jamal-blackman-s-future-1-8975046

ebbro repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? CCV strains your eyes but THA CARTER doesn't?

LouisianaViking07/09 and ebbro repped this.
  15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    lmorin and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I am reading it that the keeper didn't complain, like CCV didn't.

If you replace the word like with unlike then I would read it as he was complaining.

freisland repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F****** English and their terrible English. C'mon we Yanks make more sense that that and it's YOUR language. :D

Seriously, I have no idea what to make of Chris Wilder's quotes. I've read them several times. It's a headscratcher for sure. Oh well...... CCV parlayed that into another loan and is going to seemingly continue to play. That's all that matters to me.

lmorin, Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    makes me think of a security code. and that confounds my noggin.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lil Wayne presents THA CARTER V

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That would be relevant. He is a Young Gun afterall. CCV sounds like a country western star

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    TBH I was being "cheeky" I think you guys call it... (cause, in truth all that separate Ips and SU is goals against. Ipswich need to tighten up the D and they'd be closer in the table.) But I appreciate the added backstory. I don't have much of a sense of CV's personality.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I read it like you did at first - that he was an "EPL pro" too who didn't sulk, but the other reading is more salacious and fun, so I went with that.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I get that. I think the SBI writer wants to work for the Sun by the way they took it completely out of context.

Gorky and freisland repped this.
  24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That's kind of how I read it (Cam didn't sulk either). But really the whole thing is a mess. I mean the part about the it may come as a shock to the GK that he never came to the coach, sulking and saying he didn't like something is kinda weird. I think the GK would know if he did that and not be shocked to hear the coach say so.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think the "him" there is the Chelsea person he talked to. They asked, "Is Jamal doing fine?" And Wilder said, "Not once he's sulked and come to me to complain." The Chelsea person was surprised by it, considering he's not playing league games.

And that's why he's stayed for the rest of the season.

In that reading, CCV is offered as in opposition to the Jamal Blackman situation, since he did go back to his club. That is, he did sulk and complain, the Tottenham guy asked, and when that was known over there, the parent club recalled him.