Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sounds like damage control TBH.

2. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Hamburg already cleared the air and clarified the director's statement within 24 hours of the original newspaper article being published, well before any damage had actually been done. They didn't know the shit storm that was about to start, probably had no idea there was a small subset of individuals who already had their torches and pitchforks out.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So Green wasn't specifically demoted to the U23's, meaning he wasn't now training with them instead of the first team. He was asked to play with them. Did he then play with them? Are there other quotes from him at the time?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But his actions at HSV didn't seem to do a whole to affect his standing at BM. He was at best a fringe player, went on loan, came back a fringe player. Got a sniff in the fringes and got sold. Pretty much was his most-likely-trajectory anyway. Not sure a lot of folks were expecting him to be a Bayern regular starter any time soon.

The post was more whether his bit of diva-ness (whether real or rumored) hurt him professionally. Seems to me it had no effect either way.

5. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just did a triple take when I saw this is the CCV thread.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The point in theory was to do so well with HSV, he'd become part of the Bayern rotation, even if for garbage minutes.

So by failing to do that, it did affect him. He could be in a BuLi team now, even if a bottom-feeder, instead of with a 2.BuLi team that may or may not get promoted.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Mods, this thread has gone off the tracks.

Gacm32 and blackdeathFC repped this.
  8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He wasn't demoted to the reserves but he clearly was asked to play for the reserves and refused to do so, both things can be true at once. You're moving the goalposts. Let's look at the quote I posted again:

Even in the article you linked the sporting director is saying:

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And you know that he would have gotten a B1 transfer exactly how? His good minutes for the Hamburg U23's would have gotten him to BM's first team? He still got a few garbage minutes for BM. He continued to get minutes and scored for the US. And he made a transfer that is arguably as good if not better move than Hamburg.

The point is, whether CCV or Green or Wood, if you have the game and can produce on the field, you will, unless you are really a gigantic tool (and even then, paging Joey Barton) you'll get a chance or two. Small issues like miscommunication/misunderstanding/minor petulance is unlikely to derail a talented young players chances, but at some point you have to figure out a way to play to move up the ladder. CCV making the bench is great, but at some point he'll need to decide if he needs to move.

10. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1010 chrome_vapors, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    No he didn't clearly refuse to play with the reserves. I'm not moving the goal post, you must not understand what I said. I gave a recap of the events leading up to the meeting between Green and Hamburg.

The entire thing blew up into something else entirely. At one point you had, Julian Green, Hamburg's Director, a Hamburg press officer, and Bayern Munich making public comments on the issue without anyone having spoken to each other. All over a quote originally from Hamburg's Director that by his own admission, he wasn't prepared to give and didn't provide appropriate context for.

The article you posted is from March. Garbage reports were already being recycled for weeks that Green had refused to play with the reserves with no basis. Even the article you posted reeks of much of the same bad journalism. It was posted weeks later and still gets facts wrong and sources other articles that get the facts wrong.

The source of the specific quote you're pointing to is literally, "the paper," with no other mention of what paper its referring to. Like I said before the media acted an ass on this.

There was never any credible basis for the accusations that Green refused to play with the reserves. It did fit with bitter attitudes and some common frustrations towards Green at the time.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Same people every time.

superdave repped this.
  13. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Game should be watchable.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if Aston Villa is playing in it!
    Hey-o

15. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Good performance today from CCV. Got some compliments from the match commentators.

Tom Collingsworth, Mt Stone@ and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  17. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was solid. Aston Villa defended most of the game until they went behind but even then didn't really threaten to score. CCV did get into the box and had a chance at a header but wasn't close to goal. Solid/good outing and considering he's 19 it's definitely encouraging. They played 3 in the back with CCV on right side.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this doesnt seem to be one of those cases a la green lletget or zelalem where the path to the first team seems unlikely.

he is making the 18 consistnently, getting praise from the manager in the press, still very young, and most importantly showing well when given the chance.

the question is when not if. he should stick it out...and will get EPL minutes soon, imo.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  19. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion as a Spurs' fan is that no, he won't be getting any EPL minutes soon, but that's because we're competing for top 4 and have four other very good centerbacks. However, we are still in the Europa League and if Pochettino continues to play a 343, I could see Carter-Vickers getting some time, which would be valuable experience.

Also, to give my thoughts on his performance today, I thought he was good, not great, but he didn't have to be because of how insipid Villa were. They essentially bunkered and hoofed balls to Agbonlahor.

freisland repped this.
  20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been meaning to ask, is the shift key on your keyboard broken?

Chance and TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    BostonRed, Winoman and ebbro repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry, no. I mean, Sorry, no.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Hold up... they're still employing this strategy? No wonder they've fallen so far down the ladder of relevance. I remember that being a thing in like... fifa 11!

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32 repped this.
  25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, for a not so tall individual, pretty dominant in the air. He has such a wide base that he takes up a ton of real estate in the box and puts people off their normal jump to the ball. He looked pretty good other than a few errant passes out of the back and some hesitancy to play balls in behind the defense to runners. No major errors.

butters59 repped this.