Camarillo Eagles "contract"

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by espola, Oct 20, 2017.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    According to posters in the Socalsoccer.com website, the Camarillo Eagles club has emailed all female DPL players and parents a demand that they sign a new contract mid-season, with a threat of suspension from the team if they refuse.

http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/mid-season-eagles-dpl-contract.4421/

Has anything like this been proposed before in other places? I served several years on the Board of a different club, but no one that I knew there would ever have gone this far.

2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    And now parents are reporting that Eagles are carrying out their threat and some players have been kicked off the team for refusing to sign.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where is a good lawyer when you need one. Sue baby sue that will stop this fast. You can not kick off a player during the season for refusing to sign something during the season.

4. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a breach of contract.

5. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Wouldn’t touch this club with a 10 foot pole...

6. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the kids play. Contracts are for pros.

7. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    I'm pretty much speechless. The Eagles used to be a reputable club. What the hell happened? Regardless, I find it hard to believe anyone would sign this mid season. I mean, why? It's illegal and unethical and pompous.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not really shocked that most signed…especially being mid-season…

Parents talk a good game (and I include myself in this), but when push comes to shove, this is a pretty fear-driven industry…fear in the sense that parent are afraid their kids will be “left behind” or “miss out”….while those fear can be little vague, they can be very powerful…

Most parents aren’t here to fix this or other problems; they are just trying make it through with the least pain possible…and if signing this turd of contract is less painful than not, most will sign…

9. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    You may be right. I'm looking at this from some older eyes. My boys are adults and played in college as well as club and high school, and I never saw anything like this. The closest thing I can recall is a club coach "insisting" my son not play high school baseball (didn't work = son pushed back immediately). Anyway, I think very few parents 15 or so years ago would have signed that contract, and certainly not mid season.