California Franchise

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by newsouth, Sep 26, 2011.

1. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I think it all has to do with what Houston does in 2015, if they manage to increase their numbers, even with the World Cup, there will probably be more MLS team owners wanting to get involved. If that does happen, and if the new LA team is interested, then it would be nice if they are able to make it work.

My only concern would be stadium location and the new ownerships ability to secure the financing for construction. You know the land will be very expensive, and the financing for the new stadium will, most likely, have to come from the private sector.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    LAFC ownership has already committed to privately financing their own $150 million stadium. Stadium location seems to be the biggest question. Many people are assuming it'll replace the LA Sports Arena (near the LA Coliseum, close to downtown, but not actually in it). But it is not a done deal by any matter, and they keep saying things like "the greater Los Angeles market" which would imply they are investigating places outside of LA (so they could end up in Orange County or the Inland Empire). So who knows. The major thing the Sports Arena has going for it is a single parcel already publicly owned and zoned for sports. They'll probably still have to do a EIR, but not nearly as extensive of one as if it were on land zoned for something else. So having only 2 years until launch the LAFC ownership might prefer it over something better that would take longer.

3. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I think for men's soccer the LA Sports arena would probably be fine. For the women, I think Orange County and the Inland Empire would be better for them

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

:thumbsdown:

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    holden repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Paired CA expansion would certainly be excellent - though I would be happy if a CA team "paired" with RSL as well. I'd kinda like to keep the league at an even number of teams, and if RSL is coming in, then two CA teams would necessitate a fourth team to come in with RSL... RSL's stadium issue is a problem, though.

The Earthquakes have had murmurs for years now, would be great to see if BC can get something actually moving. If Orlando can outdraw Houston in its first year, that will certainly help put existing gears in motion.

10. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    You know that problem might not be such a problem if Orlando does really well in attendance, even managing a 10,000+ game or two, and should there be a lot more MLS interest, that might just get them to decide they might be better off having them play at Rio Tinto.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I think it would only be two expansion teams for 2017 - San Jose & Salt Lake City. Maybe Los Angeles waits until 2018 with either Atlanta or Toronto.

12. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    #112 warh2os, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Once they reach 12, I could see them taking a break for a couple years and let things stabilize a bit while they try to take care of some of the problems some of the teams are having. After that, I could see the them adding a couple teams at time when they do it. Kind of like what MSL is doing. Regarding Atlanta, if you are talking about the independent investor group, I don't see it happening, especially if there are still MSL team owners interested. However, who knows, by then the new MLS Atlanta team may be interested.

13. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
    There has been no indication that the MLS group or any other independent group is interested in a NWSL team.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  15. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    That would play out really well for the NWSL to have RSL and SJE added in 2017. Since the league has expressed a desire to add two teams at a time, to keep things even, it would also allow them to go to a 22 game schedule, where each team plays a home and away game. It also fulfills the leagues need to add more teams in the West, which is another thing they have expressed wanting to due, plus now they will have a team in California.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Two teams coming in in 2017 will really be stretching the talent thin. Though the perfectionist in me thinks it will be nice for the league to get to 12 teams soon and stay there for a while.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't worry about talent. There's always more coming up through NCAA, and getting three more MLS teams on in two years (ORL, SJE, and RSL) means more spots to bring in international talent to add in as well - and, if those teams are bringing in more profits, likely a higher salary cap as well (it's been creeping upward each year anyway).

18. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    You beat me to it! I agree there is plenty talent. Ten years ago when North Carolina dominated with all the talent, that might of been the case, but now we are seeing a lot more quality teams with a lot more quality players.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:

Well let's hope those that wants to come in doesn't think the will get the Orlando treatment and demand certain players or else they want join.