Caleb Stanko at PAS Lamia (Greece)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, injuries pushed Caleb into central defense and he responded well.
    Freiburg have also made an offer for Kaiserslautern's Robin Koch to sure up the position

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/f...ld.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sakibomb523 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShaftBrewer repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    adam tash, sakibomb523, Hobo and 3 others repped this.
  4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Caleb is on the bench for the match.

Gorky, ChuckMe92 and Hobo repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't play as Freiburg won 1-0.

6. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the Freiburg 18 for Europa League action today.

edcrocker repped this.
  8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freiburg crashed out of the EL seemingly as soon as it started.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsky22, TxEx, BostonRed and 2 others repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/caleb-stanko-ready-to-shine-for-freiburg-456642.jsp
    Caleb Stanko ready to shine for Freiburg

American defender Caleb Stanko is gearing up for what he is hoping will be a breakthrough year at Freiburg.

The 24-year-old, who has been at the Black Forest club since 2011 after impressing on a three-month trial from Vardar Soccer Club in Detroit, is a defensive midfielder by trade but has been filling in at centre-back during pre-season owing to injuries to Manuel Gulde and Georg Niedermeier.

He played the full 90 minutes of Freiburg's last friendly before the Bundesliga re-start, a 2-1 defeat to FC Torino, and has played in the position regularly this summer. Stanko lined up against Feyenoord, Atiker Konyaspor, Sandhausen and Lörrach in central defence, demonstrating his versatility having previously featured in midfield in tests against Schutterwald and Freiburger FC in early July.

"It's definitely an advantage for a player to be flexible," the Michigan native told Kicker magazine. "I just want to play, that's the important thing for me."

Stanko made a handful of first-team appearances for Freiburg in their promotion-winning 2015/16 campaign in Bundesliga 2 and was even handed his first full international cap by former USMNT head coach Jürgen Klinsmann in September last year.

He was loaned to FC Vaduz last season with a view to gaining more playing time and experience. It was a successful stint, and he made 26 outings in the Swiss Super League and has returned eager to take his chance in Christian Streich's side.

Competition is fierce at Freiburg, with Caglar Söyüncü, Marc-Oliver Kempf and Real Madrid loanee Philipp Lienhardt all vying for berths at centre-back, while Amir Abrashi and Nicolas Höfler are Streich's preferred midfield pairing.

And although Stanko is shorter than most modern central defenders - he stands at 1.80 metres (5'11") – that has not dulled his confidence: "I've got a good leap and get a lot of cover from the two defensive midfielders."

All of which has given him faith he can be a factor in his coach's planning this term: "We're all fighting for a place and it's tight. I had a good pre-season, I've trained well and I believe in myself."

12. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Stanko developing into a GCam-lite utility guy over the next couple years would be a pleasant surprise

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Take it as being true then. Transfermarkt's player valuations aren't much use, but they're pretty accurate about other things. It's part of the Axel Springer publishing house, which includes Bild, which is a rag tabloid but takes its football seriously.

I doubt they'd get something like this wrong.

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New kicker article:

(in German): http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...kel_stanko-setzt-auf-seine-flexibilitaet.html

Stanko relies on its flexibility

In the last test match against FC Torino, Caleb Stanko has played as a right-wing defending champion, as has often been the case in previous friendships. The position unfamiliar to the American could offer him a new chance at SC Freiburg. After his one-year loan to FC Vaduz, the 24-year-old was actually considered a candidate for another loan or a change.

In this position, however, the competition at SC Freiburg is currently much larger than in the internal defense, where two players, Manuel Gulde and Georg Niedermeier, have failed since the training start with back problems. Not only that, Stanko sees chances of coming into the Bundesliga, even if he has "not so much experience as others". "We're all fighting for a place and I think it's tight," says the 24-year-old, "I had a good preparation, I was well trained and believe in myself."

adam tash, Hobo, ChuckMe92 and 5 others repped this.
  16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the squad for their BL opener.

18. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Caleb played 87' for Freiburg II in Regionalliga today in a 0 - 1 loss to Ulm

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Stanko feature:

"I'm really focusing on Europe; I believe I can make it here," said Stanko, who is taking online courses at Liberty University. "I believe I am close.

“MLS is a league I believe that is getting better and better each year and it's very attractive, but my dream is to first play in the Bundesliga, in a top league in Europe, and I want to achieve that dream before I move back to the U.S. Not to say anything negative about MLS, but first dream is to play here."
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...leb-stanko-forges-path-german-game/106641248/

TxEx, sakibomb523, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I hope he starts making the bench, at least. I thought he would have a higher standing with the first team based on his preseason.

22. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes his Bundesliga debut as he lines up in a back 3 against Weston McKennie and Schalke.

[​IMG]

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  24. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanko has waited a long time to play in a Bundesliga game. Good for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.