CAFF Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jun 9, 2014.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's going to happen...so a general news thread here

The Congress further approved the proposal of the IR Iran Football Federation regarding the in-principle creation of a “Central” zone (Afghanistan, IR Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) which shall be recognised in the AFC Statutes. As a result, the “South & Central” zone shall be split into two zones

http://www.the-afc.com/en/about-afc...y-prevails-at-afc-extraordinary-congress.html

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  2. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    So its nearly there, 6 nations will form the Central Asian Football Federation. So question is, what are the benefits of forming this, will we get to see some regional tournements..

Afghanistan
    Iran
    Tajikistan
    Turkmenistan
    Kyrgystan
    Uzbekistan

3. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I think it is a great move, and definitely will benefit Afghanistan. Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan were not part of a regional federation so it is obvious they could not participate in the regional tournaments. With CAFF, I think every nation will participate so you will see some quality football.

Compared to SAFF, CAFF nations have better quality in their football. Particularly, the quality of football in Iran and Uzbekistan should benefit the other teams.

In terms of climate, Afghanistan was always struggling in the hot and humid weather of Pakistan, Maldives, Sri Lanka and India. CAFF nations have very similar climate.

Traveling also helps Afghanistan. We can travel by bus to Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. We should be able to do the same to Kyrgyzstan through Tajikistan.

Afghanistan, Iran and Tajikistan all speak in Farsi. This would also help in trainings, communications, etc.

druryfire and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  4. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Great news for all nations especially for Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan since they will be having what they have needed matches and in Afghanistan's case matches vs top tier nations. I think it would be a really good idea if some former soviet nations like Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, or Kazakhstan were invited to the tournament since they are all kinda near the rest of the CAFF countries. I think we will see all six nations (except maybe Kyrgyzstan) in the 2019 Asian cup which would be a great success.

5. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    So is there any news on a possible CAFF championship.

6. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I think it might be for youth players but for first time, I dont think it will happen.

And with the revised AFC Qualification for WC/AC, there wont be many fifa dates to play regional tournements.

I personally prefer regional Cups to be for youth teams to give match exposure, and national teams focus more on qualification campaigns..

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    What happened I the 2014 Tajik League?

In 2013 Ravshan won it won't losing a single game, in 2014 they came bottom losing 13!!
    Anyone know much about the Tajik league?

8. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  9. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    So it is official CAFF has been formed.

Iran
    Uzbekistan
    Tajikistan
    Turkmenistan
    Afghanistan
    Kyrgyzstan

From a regional tournement perspective, I feel that CAFF will follow a similar path to the East Asian Cup and have a 4 team final round, with Iran and Uzbekistan already qualifying for the main event and the rest of the 4 nations battle it out for the remaining 2 spots.

the main round will be 4 teams, all play each other once, top team wins the CAFF Cup.

10. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I know it is financially not easy, but I really prefer a round robin system with a finale between the two best teams.

11. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    That would be the best scenario, but I dont think Iran and Uzbekistan would accept...

12. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Invite two teams from outside SAFF. There is certainly precedence for it.

13. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Holy shit Kyrgyzstan u21 just beat russia's u21!!!!

sshah repped this.
  14. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Looking forward in watching them in the AFC U22 qualifiers!

15. Liquid Sword

Liquid Sword Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I would like to see a tournament set up for our new confederation and as has been stated before we can invite outside teams to play in it. Teams like Turkey and Russia would be obvious choices due to the Turkic and Soviet connections. Even if they don't send their A team and only send a domestic team it would still be a very good standard.

16. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    all depends on Iran pretty much, as it seems they will have the power of this confederation.

I don’t think they will invite other confeds, the only thing they can do and I said this in a post before, similar to the EAFF Cup where the top 2 (Iran and Uzbekistan) are guaranteed to the final group, the remaining 4 nations play for the 2 spots, to make it a 4 team 1 round play off, top side wins the Cup.

17. Navid1337

Navid1337 Member

Villarreal
    Oct 29, 2014
    Athens
    The real question is, are we going to see any tournaments from this confederation?

edrees repped this.
  18. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    good question! lol

and more so, there havent been any news from CAFF about anything...

Navid1337 repped this.
  19. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    CAFF better have a tournament. Tournament points are huge in the rankings.

20. PersianLegion

PersianLegion Member

Jan 26, 2015
    #20 PersianLegion, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    We need to invite some neighboring nations to make the competition more interesting. Specially some team like Turkey, Russia, Belarus or even China can challenge Iran and Uzbekistan. I wonder if Kurdistan will join this confederation in future or not!

21. Liquid Sword

Liquid Sword Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, definitely would be good to get other strong regional teams to come and participate. Similar to how Copa America invites countries from other confederations to play.

22. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not in this case. Unless they act as qualification for continental finals, regional tournaments such as this are treated as friendlies.

23. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    From article about Afghanistan's new coach:

Afghanistan is due to play several Central Asian teams, ahead of qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup.

"We will be facing countries like Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan for the first time, thus we need to re-evaluate our football," AFF head Keramuddin Karim said.

So either this means we will be facing CAFF teams in friendlies or there will be CAFF Championship before the 2nd round of the World Cup Qualifiers.

Navid1337 repped this.
  24. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I think it will be mainly friendlies.... Kyrgystan organised on 31-3, probably Tajikistan will be another friendly.

I doubt Iran will give Afghanistan a friendly at this stage...

25. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I agree it seems unlikely we will have a caff championship after no news about it at all