Rumor: Cabrera fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by zolafan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Brener Sports Management LLC's right to transact business in Texas is forfeited. Someone missed a Franchise Tax deadline haha.

I imagine board is whatever owners or whoever their representatives are that are sitting on it. I've seen private companies with non-owner board representatives (typically family/friends, occasionally others).

TX Bill and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, definitely possible. From a voting perspective, it's basically the owners though as an employee of Brener Intl obviously only votes the way Brener tells them to.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I may end up regretting saying this, but I'm going to say no way are any FO staff on the board. There's no reason to have them there, complicates things. If there is anyone other than an owner on the board it will be what Westie said, someone that essentially acts as a proxy for an owner. A Brener Intl senior executive, for example.

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing about all of this is that the presser announcing Davy Arnaud mentioned ownership and the board. And the presser where Brener announced the hiring of Walker also mentioned the ownership group and the board. Evidently two separate entities. Glenn Davis is going to ask about it.

Dynam0 repped this.
  5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you had a Brener Intl senior executive on the board, which would be entirely reasonable, that would technically mean the board and ownership are two different entities.

6. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    From a legal perspective there are Shareholders (if its a Corporation) or Members (if its an LLC). A corporation is governed by the Board of Directors. An LLC can be governed either by its Members (owners) or Managers (essentially a director). The Board of Directors/Managers appoint the officers of the company.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my guess is if there is a board with more members than owners, it’s done in a manner to give the majority owner (Brener) more spots to equal his ownership stake. Would need to see the LLC operating agreement, which the likelihood of seeing is small

DynamoManiac repped this.
  8. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Christopher Hopkins is the Chief Operating Officer of Brener International Group, LLC. Concurrently, he is the Executive Vice President of Forever Orange, LLC, the parent company of the Houston Dynamo (MLS)andHouston Dash (NWSL). "

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this guy signs all of the documents that the lenders filed with Harris County.

I love “holding the Dynamo hostage since 2008”!!

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I know. I own a few LLCs both member managed and manager managed.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Do we seem like the sort of team that wants outside advice?

I would expect the name owners and/or their entity executives.

12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying they'll move the team for the better part of a year now...

...and it's because of ownership and how they've let this club run into the ground.

The excuse I'm getting is that there's a long term lease on BBVA. Let me tell you boys something. That's won't stop this team from moving, despite what you think the financial dynamics entail.

13. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck off you absolute grape.

14. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news. You aren't moderate. And the ammo quote actually gives you away.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...forgot about him. Rey bringing back some memories....circa 2007.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s not an additional city they could move to that MLS would allow them to because it takes a $250 million expansion fee off the table. And failing in Houston is not a good sign, it’s why the league pitched in to help the Chicago Fire out of Brodgeview. 10 years from now, different discussion.

17. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they don't move them, they'll fold. Just looking at the empty seats, it's so much worse than I thought. Someone in the game thread said probably around 5000 in actual attendance. They may not be far off.

18. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe someone wants to put a NISA team here.

Bottom rung MLS side, zero fan interest. Might actually be able to compete.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn very nearly lost his access for not lobbing up softies a few years back. The man's gotta eat.

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Plus he got fired from Fox women's World Cup coverage for being crap, so Dynamo all the more important.

21. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That lease agreement requires a $1million penalty for each year remaining on the 30 year lease so that would be lump sum of about $22 million. I guess they could probably renegotiate, but there's also the debt service on the stadium loan.

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago fire are paying something like $65m to terminate their lease with Bridgeview, IL.

23. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    To move back into Chicago though. I'm curious whether the league is helping to foot that bill in some way to try and salvage the team.

Though on that topic, I'm not sure how much stadium placement necessarily plays a part in things though. Philly's team is out on the boonies and I see that stadium packed now that they're competing.

Then again FC Dallas has had some legitimately great teams in Frisco play to empty stadiums. Hard to tell.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the league pitched in or backstopped the Fire lease buyout. I am with you, I think stadium location - while an important variable - is just one variable. Every market is a bit different. Houston is a good example. Downtown is a great central location for the team in this market, but was it worth the premium to get that site at the expense of a better stadium in a different location?

this past Saturday was a good example, that game could have been anywhere inside of Beltway 8 and it probably would have drawn the same crowd.

25. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Whoa, Philly hardly plays in the boonies, I've been there many, many times. I have a further drive living in Cypress. They play right under the Commodore bridge. It's not much of a drive, especially given the late start times of MLS.

CeltTexan repped this.