Rumor: Cabrera fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by zolafan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Google Translate - "The Houston Dynamo has ended its relationship with technical director Wilmer Cabrera. A source close to the coach, has confirmed to Total Sports USA that the Colombian is no longer the Forever Orange coach. News in development. Soon it will be official."

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    arnaud is interim.

4. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    It's on the team website now.

I find this quote from Jordan hilarious:
    "At this time, we as a club believe the team will benefit from a fresh perspective as we enter the final third of our season and make a push to qualify for the playoffs."

5. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Why is Jordan still employed?

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he’s figured out how to keep putting people in front of him to take bullets at the same time telling the owners he’s done a good enough job at player acquisition on their limited budget to win in MLS. I mean he’s never actually led a team that won anything in MLS (oh sorry, 2017 Western finalist!!).

Jordan figured out that the easiest way to stay employed is to keep tell the owners that their business strategy of being cheap can work. They like hearing that validation. He’ll be the last one to go

TX Bill, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  7. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Before Cincy, I was on the fence. Was Wilmer a poor coach or was he doing the best anyone could ask with what he had. After that debacle of a first half in Cincy, I was on the poor coach side. Seriously, what was that first half in Cincy?

Anyway, I'm happy, I hope we get a good coach.

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Seems like a nice guy and I hate to see people lose their jobs. But as a loyal “Dynamo 366 Member” I’m happy for the change. Maybe if they had taken this decision in early July they’d be in a better position.

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    always business, never personal.

ok maybe Coyle, that was personal for me because his son called out some of us on facebook.

TX Bill, ElNaranja, nbrooks503 and 5 others repped this.
  10. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cmon you’d defend your dad too. He’s actually a really nice kid in person

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Nah, he doesn’t get a pass from me. You come to the Americas and insinuate we don’t know football? Meanwhile your pops has relegated how many teams?

TX Bill and CeltTexan repped this.
  12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because his only real talent is avoiding responsibility for the disaster that is always where he is.

Varus, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 Westside Cosmo, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    I’m gonna post this in both “Cabrera fired” threads - all of you need to get the Glenn Davis podcast of his 10 minute interview with Matt Jordan tonight. It’s a separate 10 minute podcast or file from the show they posted on ITunes.

After listening to Jordan talk about how the firing decision came about and what he thinks of the roster, I will predict the following:

1) the Dynamo will only be able to hire a retread coach or a cheap young one. It’s clear that Jordan likely pushed Cabrera onto the train tracks with ownership (he mentioned an ownership board meeting yesterday that clearly didn’t include Cabrera). No established good manager in MLS or elsewhere is going to take this job knowing Jordan will slit your throat to save his own job because everyone is afraid to tell ownership what they need to spend and he’s gonna tell ownership he got enough talent to win and it’s the coach’s fault.

2) This move is probably mostly about Jordan saving his own job. He’s still saying things Iike “we are only 6 points out of the playoffs” - true, 6 points behind FCD for 7th but ignoring they are 4 points behind Portland in 8th and they have 2 games in hand and also 10 of 11 games remaining at home. Also claiming all of the transfer window moves can help vault them to playoffs - “Jose Bizama is a Chilean National Team player!” (He’s got 3 caps with Chile as a sub). And my favorite to show everyone how much talent he acquired - “Glenn, we got off to the best start in team history with this group!!” (Paraphrasing). As if a front-loaded home schedule against several weaker teams is going to be the whole year of scheduling.

3) We still haven’t hit rock bottom. I expect a bit of a bump from the switch but I don’t know how Jordan can go on about the playoffs and then sell anyone before all of the other league windows close in early September. Is he saying these things to try and sell tickets for Star Wars Night? Talking up Arnaud then selling some of his best players with 6 games left?

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm listening to this Matt Jordan interview by Davis now. I'm having to hold down the vomit.

I think Westie is correct here. When will Jordan ever be held accountable? (something is wrong with this universe I need to see if I can cross over to JuvieChelsea's universe.)

Bizama is a Chilean National Team member to the same extent that Will Bruin is a member of the USMNT. He was called into the Chilean equivalent of the USMNT's January camp cup cake when no European based players were around.

I'm not running down Bizama. I have great hopes and expectations for him. But Jordan selling him as a Chilean UNTr is him once again treating us all as if we are stupid.

I will defend Jordan on the "playoffs" comment. Glenn Davis made that happen with his question. What else could Jordan have said?

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have been fine with a generic “we still have a shot, have to win some games and we will be right back in the thick of it”. But the “we’re only 6 points back!!” came so quick it was like a bulleted talking point he had ready for ownership and wanted to reuse. Another “fact” that lacks context.

On the Bizama Chile caps, I was gonna say something similar and reference ERob’s 1 cap but I thought that would be unfair as ERob was a legitimate all MLS Best 11 player

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  16. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Until Jordan and Ownership go away, it's as the song says about old and new bosses.

17. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Overall I appreciate what Glenn does for the Houston soccer scene, but he never presses the tough questions on Jordan. I realize those are likely the rules of engagement, otherwise Jordan may not agree to be interviewed.

The new coach tiene que hablar español... otherwise he won’t be able to communicate with the Hondurans, Colombians, Argentinians, Salvadoran and Chilean on the team. Is the Olympia coach available? Probably the top candidate on Jordan’s list. ‍♂️

I don’t think we have hit rock bottom yet.

18. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Seriously Brener, if you want to save money axe the GM position and replace Jordan with a cap nerd (I assume we already have one of these). Use those savings to hire a coach and dangle the notion that the coach is 100% in charge of everything soccer related.

DonJuego, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Dom is that you?

DNez2001 and CeltTexan repped this.
  20. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    This is a dumb criteria for a coach. Everyone understands soccer and theres plenty of translators on staff, or the new coach can hire his own. This is as dumb an idea as USSF saying their coach must speak English.

I dont care if they only speak Swahili, so long as they can develop players and set up tactics to win some trophies.

7seven7, Dynamo_Forever and CeltTexan repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing I forgot to mention: how backasswards is it to make all the of the transfer window changes or non-changes (like keeping Elis) then fire the coach? Did Cabrera have a say in this window? So you’ve hamstrung the next coach for no good reason

22. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think this has got run out it deserves, but Almeyda apparently wanted to coach the Dynamo, but we turned him down to extend Cabrera.

This is up there with Dom supposedly nixing the acquisition of Dempsey in terms of organizational stupidity.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Jordan is the Rick Smith of the Dynamo. No matter what job he does as a player evaluator and GM, the owner will stick with him.