Cable, Streaming or Satellite?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    This is do not dispute.

Aaron d repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why so many?

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    1 smaller TV in the kitchen (wife's choice)
    1 smaller TV in the office
    1 smaller TV in the "sitting room" as my wife calls it (guest bedroom with no bed)
    1 medium TV in the fitness room
    1 medium TV in one half of the basement
    1 projector in the media room half of the basement

Again, admittedly ridiculous but each one is convenient.

4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s it? How do watch when sitting on the toilet? And where the master bedroom one?

Flyer Fan repped this.
  5. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you! I have three TV's and it would be a pain to set up a streaming option for all three and hope my internet is not struggling when i want to watch. By the time you have decent internet and an acceptable streaming package for live sports, It does not justify the change. I know cord cutting is the new "hip" thing to do but most people i know still have cable or satellite.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy part is, everyone gets multiple services. And some stuff you still might have to pay for on top of that. I just dont think the difference in price (if there is any) outweighs the superior quality of cable and actual hardware.

Note: i dont have cable. I have a few services: E+ ($5), Netflix ($12 or something, its for the Mrs., i could do without it), and Hulu ($1, got special black friday deal).

Also, I pirate the shit out of everything. I would have no problem paying, but only under circumstances that wont realistically be available anytime soon. End of the day though, who watches non-sports TV live anymore? Once you let go of that ball and chain, and you know where to go to find high quality sports streams, cable doesnt justify the price.

That being said, for those who arent cool with pirating, I’d recommend cable honestly. People claim they wanna cut the cord, but when you add Netflix, Hulu, E+, and Sling/DirecTV Now, HBO, etc., arent you just paying for cable in a different form?

Tobias C repped this.
  7. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I was paying $50/mo for cable and they were going to increase it to over $80/mo. I did the same math, and break-even for me on my first streaming box was less than 6 months. The amount of money I save every month by not paying for cable or other subscriptions is well worth the few extra minutes it takes to toggle between apps.

8. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the hidden fees that Spectrum nail you with is why I went to streaming. I may not get everything I want but at least I know what I'll be paying from the get go.

ColumbusFTW repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have att U-verse and watch all Crew and Buckeye games ( streamed crew preseason games and a few buckeye basketball games vrs trash teams) otherwise i miss some Bengals games and I’m ok with that. The yahoo sports app is free and i can stream any Bengals game on CBS so i rarely miss them play. It’s not often the the Bengals and Browns are both on fox.

I hope we get a good TV deal for the Crew and this year I can’t afford season tickets but hope to get them once we get our new stadium. I can not miss any games so whatever Cable companies have all Crew games will be my only option

My opinion is Cable is still the best for live sports .
    I think you can but Sunday ticket without direct tv and plug your phone to your Tv but if any game i want is unavailable going to Roosters or Bdubs etc... seems the best choice.

All that streaming stuff seems complicated and I prefer convience , I’ll pay money for what i want if it fits my budget.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cut the cord 5 years ago. I roku everything now. I pay for Netflix and ESPN+. I share those with a brother who gives me access to his Amazon Prime account and I stream shows off that platform.

Anything else I end up at a bar or a friends place.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

U-Verse.

The Friday before the first NFL regular season Sunday, I call their billing office and am able to get HD Premium free for one month.

I'm then able to watch the entire season of RedZone for about $20 plus it includes the out-of-market RSNs (blackouts apply) and a few other channels.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorta like this.

I think the point, for me, is that this isn't just about sports. I've largely stopped watching live sports at home, unless I've purchased some sort of specific package in order to do so. I hate college football, and haven't watched an NFL game in 20 years. Opinions to the contrary, there are other things to watch besides sports, and for me, Roku plus Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime (I also donate to WOSU and so have "passport" access to older PBS programming) have totally transformed the way I (and my wife) watch television. I've found some amazing programs that I'm sure I'd never have unearthed had I been stuck viewing through the standard shitty cable channel lineup portal.

Regarding sports, and the upcoming MLS season, who knows? The rules change year to year regarding who carries what leagues and teams. I'll figure out what to do (if anything) closer to the season. I do like the ease with which I can buy a specialized package like the NBC Sports Cycling Pass which provides coverage of a ton of international races (like the Spring Classics). That's not going to be included in a cable package without an additional purchase of some sort.

13. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Okay so I’m a recent cord cutter. As most Crew games are on the CW, I was hoping to grab an antenna and a DVR. Anybody have any suggestions for this?

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most games were on the CW last year. We know absolutely zero about TV for this year.

Also, keep in mind that many cord-cutters in Clintonville and areas north complained of CW reception problems.

the_rickler repped this.
  15. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I'm in Powell and have a 50 mile antenna in my window of my first floor living room and it works decently as long as the weather isn't blowing or raining hard. Wind affects it as I'm towards the end of the service area but it's done well enough. You can use this to get an idea of what kind of antenna would work best for you for your own address: https://antennaweb.org/Address

the_rickler repped this.
  16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I use Tablo for my over-the-air DVR. I've had good success with it. I'm sure there are better options, especially if you're interested in and capable of a DIY option, but it's served me well.

the_rickler repped this.
  17. TomB

TomB Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    If the games are on CW this year, I used Plex Server to record the games which worked out well last year.

18. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the short north and can confirm the CW does not exist according to my antenna.

19. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Get your antenna as high as possible. Outside is better, but in an attic is very good (as mine is).

I'm just north of Cheshire road in Delaware county. I point my antenna towards the 53 tower...which is almost a straight line with 10/4/28/6. I added an amp in the basement and run all the signal through a splitter to the lines used for cable.

This is the amp I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BOJTS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The negative reviews are from people who probably don't need an amp.

I get 3 out of 4 signal strength on 53. PBS + the other 4 networks all come in clear.

It's just something you have to experiment with. Once you get it set the way you like it, you only have issues during weather events.

Minnman and crew2112 repped this.
  20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea if the Crew will be on the CW this season but DirecTV Now just added the local CW channel in Columbus. This is great news since my antenna has a hell of a time picking up the channel.

21. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just be careful with this. I tried to do a free trial of Youtube TV because my streaming platform of choice doesn't carry the CW, and it does not exist according to my antenna in Westerville.

I clicked to watch the Crew game, and it said it was unavailable to watch due to streaming rights or something or another.

22. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good to know. Thank you

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Any news on a tv deal yet it’s 1mth till Crewsmas

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Clintonville and get the CW with no problem using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNJZ58M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, as others have said, you need to mount the antenna as high as possible (mine's in the attic), and pay attention to the direction it's pointed. Since the CW is the most distant broadcast location, I'm zeroed in on that location. Since closer channels have a much stronger signal than the more distant CW, I get them with no problem.

Note, too, that the CW is a UHF HD channel. I had an older attic HD antenna that was only built to pull in VHF HD channels, and I couldn't get a hint of the CW with it. I swapped it out (mounted in the same location) in 2017 for the VHF/UHF model antenna and it totally took care of the problem (plus, I get a ton more over the air channels that I did with the older antenna).

CrewSchmack repped this.
  25. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d hate to do this because I know he retired buuuuuut hey @GoCrew1996 any insight on a tv/distribution deal new ownership may be working on?