Pre-match: CA 100: Brasil x Peru, 12/6/2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by fafaco, Jun 9, 2016.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes you're right. The second half was different although it seems like Peru lost some steam after the first 10-15 mins. The Miranda foul IMO was not his fault, it was Elias playing a stupid ball to Lucas Lima in the midfield with 2 Peruvians right on him. LL gave a heave touch and lost the ball giving Peru a quick turnover in our final 3rd. Miranda's foul saved a possible goal. Oh yeah, and Gil was bad too. Very unsure on the ball and almost screwed up big time a couple of times.

As much energy as we spent in the 1st half without scoring a goal, I was worried we'd suffer in the 2nd half.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This tournament has simply proven what a few of us have been saying all along about Dunga. His tactics to start the game are actually solid. We had good first halves vs Ecuador and Peru. However, in the second half, when the opposing coaches make adjustments, Dunga fails to adjust his game plan. I really do not know why he is so hesitant to make changes with personnel or tactically in the second half of games. I was hoping that he was starting to loosen up a bit with a couple of tweaks to the lineup before games, but that never carries over to the second half. As I mentioned before the game, I would have liked to seen Marquinhos. He was quick to protect Alisson after his blunder that wasn't correctly called, but threw Jefferson under the bus. I think we've seen enough from Elias to say he can't perform the role we need him to on the NT (and I'm an Elias fan at the club level).

Another thing to note that has been Dunga's Achilles heel since the his first stint -- we were emotionally unstable after they allowed Peru's goal. I can understand why the players were frustrated and upset, but once the call was finalized, you need to remain cool and chase the result. They showed they were capable of this vs Paraguay in the WCQ. Last night's game was yet another official game where we couldn't keep our composure (Colombia in last year's Copa).

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's be honest with subs though, do we really think Lucas or Ganso, both of which Dunga has really never worked with should have been subbed in ? It's a bit fo a desperation argument for those who are saying he should have used them.

I'd also like to comment that when we get into these desperate situations at the end of games, our players become stupid trying to solve everything by themselves.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't see how Lucas would have really helped. Sure, he'll take on some defenders, but I don't think that was the missing element we needed to breakdown Peru's defense. As for Ganso, I believe he would have been worth a shot. Lucas Lima wasn't playing well in the second half. Ganso has the passing skill to try to thread a few balls in and he has improved his long range shooting. I'm not saying he would have definitely made an impact, but I see the logic where bringing him on would have been worth trying.

Would you say that was true for a comeback draw vs Paraguay? It does seem to me that Dunga needs to extra work when we get the ball in the final third and when we are trailing. For all of the decent passing in the first half, we still rely too much on individual plays to breakdown the opponents. There aren't enough 1-2, players coming close to the ball to work "tabelinhas" and off the ball movement.

5. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Honestly, Dunga should of tried something. Only 1 sub??? It didn't necessarily have to be Ganso or Lucas Moura. Take off Elias and put in another forward. Do something to help change things. Horrible game management and tactics as usual.

I honestly would of yanked Lucas Lima (extremely underwhelming and justified Dunga decision to bench him in favor of RA) after he lose that ball cheaply leading to that dangerous free kick.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are you guys talking about the Cuevas FK that Alisson barely got to? Miranda was also turned inside out on the right side of the PK box and gave away a FK there too. I was underwhelmed by him in his ability to win 1v1.

7. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Yes, the free kick Alisson struggle with. I think Miranda had to foul but I have to see the play again. Lucas Lima did lose the ball very cheap.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If it's the one I am thinking off, I don't see what Miranda could have done differently. Elias and LL were responsible for giving the ball away in our side of the field in a dangerous position. It's the one Alisson cheated to his left and got to the ball comfortably.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm talking about a different FK during the second half. Miranda was turned and beat and gave away a foul at the edge of the box on our right.

The FK you guys are referencing was at the top of the box, off to our left some.

10. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Brazil are in an era worse than 1974-1990.

11. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I dont think this is a shocking result considering we were missing our 2 main forwards, and the fact that this current generation isnt head and shoulders above the rest of SA like we used to be. We were able to outplay everybody in the group. Still I expect CBF to typically wash their hands and fire Dunga so that they are exonerated from any responsibility two years from now (or one if we fail to qualify).

12. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    ????????? 1982 - 1986 the best football and the players I´ve ever seen.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Buddy remember from that period we only won 1 title and that was the 1989 Copa America, but from 2002 til now we have won 5 titles(Copa'04, 07; Confed Cup '05,'09,'13) so all is not doom and gloom and 2 of those were won under Dunga's 1st stint!!

14. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I still believe that period when Ronaldo went down from 99-2001 was the worst I have seen of Brazil.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And we had a much larger selection of pure no.9's at that time!!

16. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Dunga has been dismissed.

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Was Marquinhos injured? Why didn't he play this one?

18. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Simply a choice by tecnico - he was not injured.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fixed your post.