C. Ronaldo, best WF of all-time?

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Perú FC, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Involved in a project that I've some time ago I've been doing short positional rankings that sometimes generates me interesting dilemmas. One of them is the position of Cristiano Ronaldo among the best WG/WF's of all-time.

Of course, I've had disputes over whether Ronaldo should be considered WF or SS, but assuming this is his best location, is it possible to consider him ahead of 2 "sacred monsters", Garrincha and Best?

Garrincha is popularly included in top 10's of all-time and is often compared in late 50's and early 60's with Pelé in terms of dimension. Best is another iconic figure, considered by many as the best British player of all-time, at his best certainly had supreme technical skills. Both are the most renowned in the category by sure but analyzing consistency there are some serious cases against them that point to a short peak of performance.

On the other hand, Cristiano Ronaldo is near the base 3 and has built a remarkable career in this topic being arguably the best European player of the last 7 years and having passed through a sucessful transition from an exceptional gifted WG to a superb scorer WF/SS with great level in physical terms.

The question is... do you think Cristiano Ronaldo has passed them in a historical analysis? (try not to pigeonhole only in World Cups but complete careers), or maybe there's something that missing him?

Obviously we also could include in the discussion to Stanley Matthews, Dragan Dzajic, Francisco Gento... perhaps Jairzinho? Actually, it would be also interesting to read opinion about the position of the Brazilian, apparently great between 1967 and 1972 but difficult to analyze in detail about his early career in Botafogo.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    CR7 was like between Jairzinho (AM to wide FW) to Garrincha/Best (winger to wide FW) in term of position and role a forward to wide forward and verstile to play as SS or CF

Gento, Mathews and Dzajic were true wingers (or traditional one) like Giggs Overmars ...

3. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah me agrees..

matthews, gento and dzajic where different.. they where typical wingers..

george best is hard to rank...

based on talent alone best is in the top 10 all tiem for sure..
    but ofcourse we all know his career was really short (at least his prime was) due to his lifestyle..

personally i rank best above c. ronaldo.

as for garincha...?? different kinda player but what he has in common with c. ronaldo is that he is a fysical phenomenon..
    ronaldo has great fysique is build very good is powerfull etc etc.. garincha not but garincha ws also a phenomenon because he could do things with those strange legs that not many could do..
    so totally differetn players but both fysical phenomenons..

as for pure talent i rate garincha higher as ronaldo...

both best and garincha where heavy drinkers and did not live for their sport...
    c. ronaldo is a pure athlete he lives and eats healthy etc etc..

imagine how good best and garincha would have been and what they could have achieved if they lived for their sport like a real proffesionnal ????

4. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you were going to rank CR7 among the wide forwards I would say he has a very good claim to being the best ever in terms of accomplishment. Best and Garrincha both only had 2-3 club seasons where they were in consideration for the best player in the world and performing at an all time great level. CR7 has about seven seasons at that level.

I would say Best and Garrincha's club peaks are not clearly superior either. Best was amazing in 67-68 leading Man U to the champions league and from what I have read decisive in almost every round. In 07-08 CR7 led United to the Champions League EPL double, where Best's United failed to win the double in his best season. Both were top scorer and had similar roles at this point in their careers, a left forward with free license to pop up anywhere and interchange with other attackers.

Garrincha's 62 is famous leading Botofogo to multiple titles but I would not say that is clearly better that CR7 scoring 60 in 55 games and leading Real to the title over Barcelona and 11-12. Garrincha obviously has the great World Cup performance on his side that CR7 does not, but other than that he did not have that same type of career for Brazil as an undisputed starter and important player the way some of his contemporaries did (Didi, Pele, Santos, Santos etc).

verde-rubro and Perú FC repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes CR7 will be among the very top all time wide forward no doubt

1- CR7 got the longevity and number of trophies to back him up against Best - arguably and dependently on criteria one set.

2- CR7 looked better than Garrincha at club level but Garrincha left one of the best individual WC62 + WC58 among the all time there. No way CR7 would surpass Garrincha.

3- Same as Garrincha (WC performance) there were many other greats wide forwards i.e. Lato, Stoitchkov, Cantona or even Ronaldinho Rivaldo ... (for their Barca and some Brazil NT in same position as wide left) they are very very comparable and at least equal in talent as CR7

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #6 JamesBH11, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Let's take a few greats and place them in wing or wide FW: ( I might have missed some names though)

1- Winger:
    Garrincha Best Mathews Czibor Dzajic Gento Jairzinho Figo Stoitchkov Lato CR7 Giggs Ressenbrink Lawton Cantona Overmars Rivaldo Nedved Beckham Ronaldinho Pires Robben Ribery ...

2- Wide FW:
    Garrincha Best Rivaldo Jairzinho Ronaldinho Stoichkov CR7 Lato Dzajic Czibor Cantona Gento Mathews Ressensbrink Lawton Robben Ribery Pires Figo Nedved Overmars Beckham

=====================================================
    Note that we do not consider Cruyff, Rivelino Kopa or Messi .. into the list

CR7 will move up the ladder closer to the top3 "wide FW" if we do not consider Rivaldo Ronaldinho or Jairzinho in that list

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    What I know is Lawton was a typical centreforward/striker.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You're right my bad :geek: ... I meant Tom Finney ( don't know why I wrote Lawton)

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Every time ... you never, ever mention Jimmy Johnstone in the wingers...

Also, am I getting the wrong end of the stick here or has Cantona been mentioned as a winger!??!

Are we talking about a different Cantona?

JamesBH11 and msioux75 repped this.
  10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very good call for Johnstone (another legendary winger/wide FW) - often forgotten for he played in Scottish league!

Yeah Eric Cantona was a FW but often he was playing on the left winge or of 4 3 3 or wide left behind striker (4 4 1 1 )

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The discussion is about the best, not the most talented. Unfortunately, although Ronaldinho was probably more talented than CR7, he sort of wasted some of his skill and couldn't maintain his effectiveness for long enough to warrant being mentioned in the same breath as CR7.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    1- the best player should have great (or best) talent to start with = YES
    2- the REAL question is that CR7 is good enough to be in SAME breadth as Ronaldinho or Rivaldo? NO
    3- Usain Bolt only needs less than 10 seconds to prove he is the best or fastest man on earth. It did NOT matter Raul/ Giggs had longer longevity to make them any better than Basten or G Best?

Gigg could prolong his time to another 5 years (so to speak) he will never reach BEST

13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    In order to extend into the theme these are all WG's/WF's that I considerated in evaluating:

ARG - Daniel Bertoni
    ARG - Omar Corbatta
    ARG - Enrique García
    ARG - René Houseman
    ARG - Félix Loustau
    ARG - Raimundo Orsi
    ARG - Carlos Peucelle
    BRA - Canhoteiro (José Ribamar de Oliveira)
    BRA - Edú (Jonas Eduardo Américo)
    BRA - Garrincha (Manuel Francisco dos Santos)
    BRA - Jair (da Costa)
    BRA - Jairzinho (Jair Ventura Filho)
    BRA - Julinho (Júlio Botelho)
    BRA - Pepe (José Macia)
    BUL - Ivan Kolev
    BUL - Hristo Stoichkov
    COL - Willington Ortiz
    CZE - Antonín Puc
    DEN - Karl Aage Praest
    ENG - John Barnes
    ENG - David Beckham
    ENG - Eric Brook
    ENG - Cliff Bastin
    ENG - Steve Coppell
    ENG - Tom Finney
    ENG - Stanley Matthews
    ENG - Chris Waddle
    FRA - David Ginola
    FRA - Robert Pires
    FRA - Franck Ribéry
    FRA - Jean Vincent
    GER - Pierre Littbarski
    GER - Helmut Rahn
    GER - Hans Schäfer
    HUN - Ferenc Bene
    HUN - Zoltán Czibor
    IRE - Patsy Gallacher
    ITA - Franco Causio
    ITA - Gino Colaussi
    ITA - Bruno Conti
    ITA - Mario Corso
    ITA - Roberto Donadoni
    ITA - Gigi Meroni
    NED - Piet Keizer
    NED - Coen Moulijn
    NED - Marc Overmars
    NED - Rob Rensenbrink
    NED - Johnny Rep
    NED - Arjen Robben
    NED - Sjaak Swart
    NIR - George Best
    PER - Juan Joya
    POL - Robert Gadocha
    POL - Grzegorz Lato
    POR - Fernando Chalana
    POR - Luís Figo
    POR - Paulo Futre
    POR - José Augusto (Pinto de Almeida)
    POR - Cristiano Ronaldo (dos Santos Aveiro)
    SCO - Jimmy Johnstone
    SCO - Bobby Lennox
    SCO - Billy Liddell
    SCO - Alan Morton
    SOV - Oleg Blokhin
    SOV - Mikheil Meskhi
    SPA - Amancio (Amaro)
    SPA - Estanislao Basora
    SPA - Enrique Collar
    SPA - Agustín Gaínza
    SPA - Francisco Gento
    SPA - Míchel (José Miguel González)
    SWE - Kurt Hamrin
    SWE - Lennart Skoglund
    URU - Luis Cubilla
    URU - Alcides Ghiggia
    WAL - Gareth Bale
    WAL - Ryan Giggs
    WAL - Cliff Jones
    WAL - Billy Meredith
    YUG - Dragan Dzajic
    YUG - Bora Kostic
    YUG - Milos Milutinovic

JamesBH11 repped this.
  14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Clearly, Garrincha, Best, Matthews, Stoichkov, and Ghiggia must be placed ahead of C Ronaldo.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #15 JamesBH11, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    I do not think Ghiggia deserved same breadth with Garrincha Best ... and CR7? just bd he scored the winner vs Brazil 50?

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    CR7 not good enough to be spoken of along with Rivaldo? That is an insane comment, even for you James.

17. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Ghiggia was pretty great but he was at no point considered the best player in the world or even the best player on his own team in my opinion.

Garrincha and Stoichkov could both be ranked ahead or CR7 if you place a very large value a performances in World Cups as they both have good ones where CR7 does not. CR7 has a significantly better club career though.

I would rate CR7 above all of them, but to me the discussion of kind of pointless as I would rate him as a forward.

18. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So you are championing Willy Dullens as the greatest dutch player ever?

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've bolded the ones that I think could be put into a wing forwards category (including himself). Maybe others like Amancio for example, but I'm not sure. The comparison to Littbarski would be imperfect as Littbarski would still have played more of a set-up role and C.Ronaldo is more focused on scoring (beyond this just being where their respective abilities lie the most).

Anyway, I think a minority of them could be in the same category even though teams did used to play with '5 forwards' hence the wingers being classed as forwards (they were still predominantly wide players I think - hard to tell with someone like Bastin though).

I suppose you could argue Garrincha could be in that category too considering his role in the 1962 World Cup, but I don't think it sits right overall.

Dzajic became an outright winger/wide midfielder when the team had 4 midfielders I think, but I thought in the 4-3-3 he just about qualifies for the categorisation, albeit I don't think he played in a similar way to C.Ronaldo.

Perú FC repped this.
  20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You could very easily add Bobby Lennox as a wing forward most certainly.

The only reason he didn't score more goals was due (so many believe) to the fact that linesman struggled to keep up with his pace off the mark and he was incorrectly called offside on numerous occasions.

Still, he is easily classified as a wing/forward moreso than a standard winger I'd say.

Perú FC repped this.
  21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Stoichkov was part of the Barcelona Dream Team, which won four consecutive La Ligas and the CL, not sure that C Ronaldo has a greater club career. Stoichkov is also a greater talent than CR7 and as you mentioned a greater WC player, which is all enough for me to place him ahead. As for Garrincha, he is almost always part of any top ten of all time lists, must be ranked ahead of CR7 without controversy.

22. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with you that the general consensus is on your side putting Garrincha ahead of CR7. I think Garrincha may be a bit overrated in the big picture because of his legendary world cup performances. He only had two great club seasons from what I can gather (61 and 62) and would have been very unlikely to have played a game in WC 58 if Julinho had not gone to Europe and may not have even overtaken Julinho for the 62 world cup first team spot. Julinho was the clear first team winger until he went to Italy, and even then he was still attempted to be recalled to the national team for the 58 World Cup, which he refused, and national teams back then never called players playing abroad. Overall I think Garrincha is very lucky Julinho decided to move abroad or his career would have been very similar to someone like Canhoteiro, as oppose to being rated as on of Brazil greatest players ever.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    ??? :thumbsdown:
    There is only one name : Cruyff in Dutch Football history

Football = talent + using talent on pitch (wherever) and win things
    Like many SA fans love Magico Gonzales (great technical), and even Maradona once said, this guys is even betetr than me, but he did not use his best properly

24. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Ghiggia?, why? :confused:

I'm not even sure if he was better than his countryman Cubilla.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I also consider him as FW. The category has more intention of placing him among other legends than placing him in his most accurate decisive role (especially about Garrincha and Best).