Byu

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Revolt, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an interesting piece on BYU - aired as part of a USL show on FSC. I had not realized they play exclusively in the PDL - and not in the NCAA. Are there any threads on this; its a pretty interesting situation.

2. Sccrfan

Sccrfan Member

Feb 8, 2003
    From their website:
    B.Y.U. is committed to providing the best opportunity to improve and showcase the skills of our Student Athletes. B.Y.U. competes in the Premier Development Leagues Western Division. This league has proven to be more competitive than the traditional college soccer league, the NCAA. This league, combined with our International travel allows our student athletes to represent our Church at the very highest level possible. Over the last 5 years we have competed against Professional clubs in Spain, (FC Barcelona), Holland, (VV Sittard), Mexico, (Pachuca, Monterrey) and Costa Rica (Saprissa).

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple fo thoughts/questions to throw out there.

1. I would imagine BYU can schedule a higher level - and more - competition than is allowed in the NCAAs.

2. BYU can pay the kids - at least some stipend. That beats what MLS can offer.

3. The BYU players get three-day contracts occassionally with RSL. Probably when RSL needs some practice players.

3. The coach said he is able to recruit better caliber players since going to the PDL.

4. Are any other universities doing this?

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jarom Jordan‏ @jaromjordan Sep 14
    BYU men's soccer team...after 14 years as a semi-pro team in the PDL the Cougars are returning to the College Club scene.

I apologize for the bump...

5. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... sadly as a club team and not intercollegiate ...fun experiment in PDL that really had little long term chance to succeed given that no students in school during the summer months.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    BYU's women's side is very competitive in NCAA DI, BYU's big men's sports do ok despite players' off-campus obligations, and I am aware of several male soccer athletes who have returned to spots on their colleges' rosters after completing their missions. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    They are competitive in most sports because they can have 24-25 year olds playing with a red shirt and mission trip.