Byron Moreno strikes again....

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by JRedknapp11, Sep 11, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What was he supposed to learn from Italy vs. Korea? That refs/linesmen make mistakes, sometimes serious ones? Or that Italy doesn't know how to finish off a weaker team anymore?

Cause I sure as hell can't see him learning a lesson about corruption from it just because some Italian fans like to whine.

At least here there's a motive even if it's still speculation as to whether he was bribed or not.

3. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Italy got what was coming to them. All Vieri had to do was convert a sitter, and the game Italy goes through. Plus Totti was diving all game. Moreno could have sent him off earlier on a pathetic attempt to act like he was elbowed in the face.

He and the linesmen made poor decisions, but Italy should have advanced anyway.

4. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    i haven't found a link in english,but there's a japanese newspaper who's investigated on mr. Moreno: after the World Cup,he bought himself a nice sportcar (Ford Camaro? i don't remember exactly),made a luxury cruise in the caribbean and HAD ALL HIS DEBTS EXTINGUISHED...
    he credits that to the astronomic $ 35.000 reward for refereing in the WC

somehow,calculations don't match

he also wants to make political career,and boy,does he have a talent for that! Quito is the city where he's presenting his candidacy to be elected...

5. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    You guys were screwed to bad calls in the Croatia match. I have to say that was the best match in the world cup in terms of entertainment.

I will say though that the calls made in that match were horrible and probably subject to the worst calls in all of the World Cup.

6. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    that link you provided doesn't say Byron Moreno has been suspended for 20 matches and is under investigation for FALSIFYING THE OFFICIAL MATCH REPORT,where he recorded a 6th minutes extratime instead of the 12 minutes he truly allowed (after signalling 6 to the 4th man...)

in italian

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I saw the story, too, bestianera and didn't post it. I'd be much happier if everybody would just let it die and move on.

8. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    Apparently FIFA doesn't want it to just die.

http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2002/0913/1431312.html

Whatever happened to Italy at the World Cup, happened and forget about it. But, if this ref is corrupt, then it deserves further investigation. If the refs are corrupt, or all of the players contracts are owned by the league, then we might as well switch to WWE.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    What I meant wasn't that this new situation should be ignored, but that Italians need to realize that, no matter what comes out of any such investigations or reforms, Brazil won the World Cup, and the results from J/K will never change.

10. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    what are you suggesting Sue? throwing the whole thing down the toilet?

done!

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was at the Italy - Korea game in person. It was clear to me throughout that the referee was paid off or "influenced" by Korean organized crime figures. There are some things you just "know", and being of Italian descent it is pretty obvious to me when someone has been "approached" by shady suspects.

12. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    dont forget KOWOC also paid Viery during half time.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yes, boy, there's a thought we haven't heard. :rolleyes: Like I said, why rehash this same old ************ all over again.

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because our genes are Italian, dammit, and we just cannot fathom anyone being better than us at anything!!! We have the best food, the best women, the best art, the best actors, the best fashion, the best beaches, and the best looking people on earth!!!! It only stands to reason that we are the best at soccer!!! Somebody must've cheated!!!! ;)

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Glad to see you posting here again, Ian.

16. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    If a referee that was used in a FIFA World Cup match is suspected of bribery, or anything along those lines than he should be investegated fully. It won't change the results of the CUp but it will shed light on what happened and why. If a team is found to have been cheating then we can't have someone like that on the world stage. I a not saying that Korea cheated but they are suspect in a number of games with poor officiating, why is that? Then when the referee is found doing other suspitious activities on the field then somewhere you have to see if two and two make four. I belive that the fans around the world deserve that, not to mention the teams that had there hopes dashed by men who's sole purpose in the game is to keep things fare!

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never understood why some Italians are angry with Moreno. In my opinion, I think the only bad call was the offside on Tomassi. Yes, absolutely no question that this was a bad call, but it was a mistake of the LINESMAN (assistant referee), NOT Moreno. Moreno could not judge from his position and he has to rely on his linesman. It is possible that this cost Italy one goal. However, Vieri still had an easy chance to draw even and he screwed it up. These things are part of soccer. Italy may have beaten Korea with a different call, but they never displayed superiority.

For me, Brazil and Germany and Turkey were superior to Italy and South Korea, and the results bear this out.

If Moreno is corrupt, I don't think you can look for answers at the World Cup. There may be something to his corruption in Ecaudor, however. 12 minutes of stoppage time? Hmmm. :(

18. sccerchek

sccerchek New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Gulf Coast
    Check This past Game Of Moreno and His Crap !!

http://www.gabrielbatistuta.net/argentina/afa_chile/news03302000.html

Its a past Argentina and Chile game in 2000 got World Cup Qualifying, Moreno was the Referee and Guess what Sorry A$$ calls that caused Chile a chance at winning. S Blatter was also at the game !!

Moreno Is Likely a Corrupt Figure !!

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    12 min???? End of career.

20. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    True a lot of Italians are irate with Moreno for the calls he made against them. Myself I am not Italian but I am a fan of the azzurri and to be knocked out by a team that didn't play better than you and to see your leading player sent off on a call that should have gone the other way is just shameful. The FIFA rules state that you should not send a player off without sufficient visual evidence to the fact. If Moreno felt so strongly that he would send a player off for diving that he had better have seen it clearly. Yet from every angle imaginable it shows that Totti was tripped and he did not simulate anything, that is the call I take offence at!

But football can be that way sometimes and you can't really do much about it. Investigating it will not give Italy back their World Cup hopes but it will bring to light what happened and why. It is like someone being murdered (though not that serious) even though finding the killer won't bring the victim back. It will though let the family and friends see why I happened and can rest easy that something has been done to make sure this kind of thing won't happen again.

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Good posts, tom. Welcome to the boards. And congratulations on that Super Bowl victory!! :)

22. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Wrong Tom Brady!!!

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    oh... sorry. ;)

24. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    No problems. You can imagine I get that alot! I think I will just change the name on this if it's ok.

25. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    never mind, I can't!