BWP on the heels of Lassiter and Wondolowski

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are still 6 league games left on the Red Bulls' schedule. Can BWP tie or maybe even break the MLS All Time Record for Scoring in a Season? He has scored 24 goals---the record stands at 27 goals in a season.

henryo repped this.
  2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Based on his current pace of goals per game, he'll get 27-28 for sure. He really only needs one more hot night to tie the record. He's been good for a goal in about 3 of every 4 games, but I'm sure he'd trade the record for an MLS Cup. This team has had tremendous individual players, not least of whom is Henry, and they've had great regular season's including last year's Supporter's Shield campaign. They've even been MLS Cup runner's up in a fluke year that highlights how much it means to get hot at the right time. But the MLS Cup has eluded this team since the league's inception. If he and the rest of the team aren't laser focused on post-season success, I don't know what they're thinking. If this team plays the way it should, he'll get the record with ease, but it should be just a preamble to the real goal this season.

henryo repped this.
  3. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    There were 5 games left then... 3 games left now, still at 24 goals.

Hope he does break the record, esp in the 2 remaining home games. ;)

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It sucks but last night was his real opportunity to pick up a few goals and things just didn't go his way. Can't even say he played badly, he put himself in the same great positions as always, finishing was just inches off on a few chances.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games in a row the finishing hasn't been there for him. I doubt he reaches it now. He could have had 2 last night.

What I'm more worried about is that this lack of finishing continues. He's been hot all season long. It would make sense if he went ice cold and obviously that would be terrible for us.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games left in which to score 2 goals to tie the all time record or 3 to break it.....

henryo repped this.
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Our guys are on a hot streak, playing at home against a team that we've smashed a few times recently. Its absolutely possible that BWP bags a brace or more in this next one.

henryo and Woodrow repped this.
  8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to BWP for tying the league scoring record on the last game of the regular season. He goes in the record book forever with Wondo and Lassiter.
    Interesting to note that 27 seems to have become some kind of hard psychological barrier-the first player to score 28 will have done something really special in this league.

kokoplus10 and henryo repped this.
  9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ah man I basically spent the last 20 minutes of the game with my hands on my head hoping he'd get the last one. Through on goal twice, Miller almost drawing a penalty, Bover with a chance to feed him, Dax playing a great pass to set him up in the box...

kokoplus10 repped this.
  10. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Congratulations anyway!!

If Assists were considered, would BWP be ahead of the other 2? ;)

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To think if he had converted just ONE more of those chances duing the regular season. ;)

Great job though and certainly something he can look back on his career and be proud of.

henryo repped this.
  12. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for comparison's sake,

The All Time League Scoring record for a single season in various leagues:

Top Euro Leagues
    EPL-- 34, Andy Cole, Alan Shearer (1993-94; 1994-95)
    La Liga-- 50, Lionel Messi (2011-12)
    Serie A-- 36, Gino Rossetti (1928-29)
    Bundesliga-- 40, Gerd Muller (1971-72)

Top American Leagues
    Liga MX-- 40, Roberto Aballay, Isidro Langara (1944-45; 1945-46)
    Argentine Primera Div.-- officially 47, Arsenio Erico (1937)
    * Manuel Seoanne scored 55 in 1922 but playing for a rival league (Asociacion Amateurs de Futbol)
    Brazilian Serie A--34, Washington (2004)

henryo repped this.
  13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but do any of those leagues have a salary cap?

14. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    What a goal to tie the record. BWP just wouldn't be denied.

Woodrow repped this.
  15. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Collin has about half a foot and 20 pounds on BWP, and he just got tossed aside like he wasn't there.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As any good wrestler will tell you it's about leverage.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Davies was great at this...and was a wrestler!

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    My uncle (and wrestling coach) once said it doesn't matter if you have Two Ton Tony on your back, so long you use proper leverage.

RedBullFootball and kokoplus10 repped this.
  19. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    #19 RedBullFootball, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    REPPED

I havn't heard Two Ton Tony referenced in over 30 years. You brought me back Woodrow.

20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chart was not meant to be a negative comment on MLS--I love our league. I just thought it would be interesting to see how our own records stack up to some other leagues. My conclusion was that given where we are in our development--27 is def not a bad number considering some of the other leagues like EPL have 34. i'm sure that given enough time one day we will have our own 40 or 50 goal scorer.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that wasn't your intent. I'm just bringing it up because I think it's going to be very hard in a salary cap league to get anywhere close to a ~35-50 goal scorer like many of the other leagues have seen. Oftentimes this is a result of a great player playing on a great team in a league where there are a host of bottom feeder clubs.

The salary cap is the great leveler.

RedBullFootball and tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's what I'm here for, references that are 30 years out of date:laugh:

kokoplus10 repped this.
  23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This is an interesting topic, while defense may provide stability, fans come to watch goals being scored.

I tend to think that MLS's style of play, which tends to be more physical, just doesn't lend itself to large, sexy goal scoring totals. Given the level of play, if you got a talented enough striker, it would seem certain that he could tear a hole in this league, but year by year that is less likely to happen. I could see someone going 30 goals, but even 35 is a stretch. The other thing to keep in mind is that Lassiter first set the record in 1996 in a 32 game season. The league was if anything more open back then.

FWIW, it is possible the league will eventually move to have more games, which again gives more opportunities to score. OTOH, as the league's profile continues to increase coaches will probably get more conservative and invest more money in elite defenders, too. What I expect to happen is that with more established players and tactics, you'll see several teams each year fielding strikers capable of hitting for 20-25 goals and fewer teams scoring by committee. A player reaching the 30 goal plateau will be rare, but not unheard of, maybe once every 2-3 years.

You might even see a player get hot for 2 or more seasons in his prime and post 20+ goals every year. That's when I'd expect to see the record get broken, much like when Jordan broke the NBA scoring record, everyone could see it coming because he was so dialed in with his own game and the team was working to get him the ball. Maybe next year Brad can try to prove the doubters wrong and have another great year. If he can score two in one game without Henry, then it certainly is possible for him to get 20-25 goals in a season so long as he's got good team support.

24. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanted to come over from the SJE forum to congratulate you guys on BWPs run. I'm a little upset for you guys because I don't feel like what he did is getting enough recognition from MLS. Regardless, both he and his team earned it and you guys should be proud.

So one thing that gets pointed out regularly is the difference in team talent in those leagues is much much greater than it is in MLS. You usually have 3-4 Harlem Globetrotter-esque teams in each league and the rest are the Washington General so it allows for really high goal totals from the best teams. That being said, I won't be surprised if we see someone break 30 goals in the next 5 years.

Anyway, congrats on the BWP record.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly, and feel free to drop in here anytime!