Burnley vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Dec 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2018.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think we're starting to see what Keita can deliver for us. he was very unlucky not to score last night and posed a constant threat bringing the ball forward.

and Alisson imo won the game for us, both with saves and quick thinking / great distribution. he gives the back 4 so much confidence, and for their goal - his reaction save was excellent but was unlucky with the bounce.

EruditeHobo and Red Bird repped this.
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #152 Suss, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    We are all of a sudden 8 points ahead of Chelsea. Spurs are now third, 6 points behind us. We are starting to see some separation in the table, and if it wasn’t for Liverpool, City would have won the league already.

It will be interesting to see what happens when City go to Stamford Bridge on Saturday. We dropped points there, so it would be huge for City if they get 3 points. Chelsea were impressive against Liverpool. They played good football and weren’t afraid to pass it out of the back against our press. I hope they have a go at City. Last season Chelsea’s performance against City was embarrassing. While down 1-0 Chelsea’s players could be seen walking while City passed the ball around. Chelsea were happy to lose by only one goal. They are a different side under Sari. Liverpool (and now Lyon) have shown that the best approach against City is to attack them, and Chelsea is one of the few teams in the league that have the players to do it.

We will also have rhe opportunity to play before them, which doesn’t seem to happen very often. If we beat Bournemouth, we will be top of the table when the game kicks off at the Bridge. The pressure will be on. It’s crucial that we take care of business in our match.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Take that, Burnley. It's such a fall from grace that the only way Burnley though it could hurt us was literally hurt us. And, I was glad it was still 0-0 because Liverpool had been so pedestrian and plodding. Klopp must have lit a rocket at half-time because the second-half performance, even before the substitutions and despite the goal, significantly stepped up.

So saying, I'm seriously worried about Henderson's so obvious lack of confidence with or without the bal-- has he developed the footballing equivalent of the yips? The forwards and the defenders seem similarly frustrated with him. I hope Klopp sits him down and finds what ails him.

usscouse repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #154 usscouse, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    I used it back when I was coaching kids. There were some nervous looks from kids at first.
    The keeper liked it though. He saw the ball earlier and was fast to come out for it if needed. Then he didn't have those scary angled balls that just needed a touch close in to beat him.
    The reason I had to give it up and modify it was the sorry state of ARs we had in the kids game, not understanding the offside law.

EruditeHobo and Suss repped this.
  5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Klopp's halftime instructions were "stop kicking it over Naby's head and give him the ball.":)

RE: Henderson, I think there are a couple things going on 1) he's feeling the pressure of competition for his place and 2) he's playing similar to how he always has, its just more people are starting to notice his weaknesses.

6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't notice the work Salah put in on this goal.

B.A. and Suss repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the guy is super-cool. that's twice in recent games we've almost conceded and he's launched killer attacks while the oppo is collectively having a WTF moment. :)

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    eh?? what's that about???

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hobo was describing that in this game thread yesterday - so I had pre-imagined it. But the highlight reel blew me away.... amazing...
    Brilliant goal (4 one-touches of the hand/ foot (excluding Danny's chest down to his foot)
    Becker - Sturridge-Salah-Shaq - BOOM!! That is how to play football.....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yep - best goal of the season so far. Mane has the 2nd best one IMO....

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wouldn't do it against Arsenal ....or against Napoli next week.....

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    when I saw th eGoalzone yesterday I knew it wasn't an ankle like they initially said, and I had the vague thought that it might be a lower leg fracture ... the guy wrapped himself around him. ....
    Sometimes (when Sam isn't involved) I hate being right!!

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly don't they do it during set pieces? You wouldn't use it on set pieces against Napoli?

I don't think I've often seen them play a high line when defending from the run of play this season... wouldn't suggest that against Arse or Napoli, for sure.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a complete xenophobe.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

That was all mostly on display in the first game he played, but Klopp was being cautious this year.
    For my money in all tough games one of Keita or Shaq should play with two of hendo, Fab, GW, Milner

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    thnx --
    I just did a little research ....
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...league-most-interesting-project-a8124456.html
    he certainly looks th epart.. ;) Stormtroopers Uber Alles.....

I didn't know anything about this because by and large I find football managers dull as ditch-water .... and cannot stomach listening to either the post-match inane repetitive questions or these tunnel visioned men's lethally boring answers ...

Klopp, Jose M, Old Red Gob, Angry Arsense and a scant few others excepted......

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I think that's the most balanced. But currently, wouldn't mind seeing Keita and Shaq, since Keita can comfortably tackle and play deeper.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well, i meant more in open play - not to hold a high line...

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    how about this against Napoli

alisson
    trent Lovren VVD Andy
    ...shaq Keita GW
    salah ... firmino....mane

unlikely but might be worth a shot....

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If they had done that last week at the same time against PSG I'd be dead now - having accidentally leapt out the window in mad excitement!!!
    ;)
    Two positively GREATTT LFC moments in 4 days....

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    strange one, that is - because last year everything was ticking through him....

22. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's too attacking, I'd be thinking more like Keita, Fabinho, Gini in mid personally. Wouldn't be shocked to see Hendo, Fabinho, Shaq/Keita for Napoli either?

Much of this depends on B'mouth selections.

dcc134 repped this.
  24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And remember that "oh so nearly " season? He was, together with Gerrard, the central hub through which we launched attacks.

25. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nothing wrong with brexit booby