Burnley V. Spurs Better Late Than Never

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by BalanceUT, Dec 23, 2017.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, well... in the 78th minute the match thread! I don't think we don't care... I think we are a bit overwhelmed by the number of games and the fact that we've been so BLAH for the past month, at least in the League.

It appears we've done the job like professionals here. Good. 3-nil Kane Hattrick. Job done.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also that holiday thing were we pretend to keep an ultra clean home to please the relatives.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This game was reminiscent of APOEL away in some ways. It was clear that we had more quality but they just kept hanging around.

Of course in that game a Kane hat trick was the difference.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was at work. Will watch later, but couldn't wait for the result.

Obviously I would've enjoyed it more not knowing ... but I just couldn't bring myself to watch us lose to Burnley. So I had to know.

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the whole right side for Spurs was just awful in the first half. sanchez, sissoko, and aurier did very little right and gave the ball away so often

sissoko and aurier at least got better after about the 55 minute mark. sanchez was still terrible the whole match IMO

the only player that may have been worse was davies and his crosses to nowhere

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Sometimes it's not who you play but when you play them. We picked the right time to play the Clarets, with Tarkowski, Brady and Ward out and Wood having to leave the game early. And we also got a break with the weather - usually at this time of year nobody would fancy an evening fixture at Turf Moor, with wind, rain and snow usually on offer - but we got a mild evening, perfect playing conditions.

Loved Sean Dyche's press conference after the game. He praised us and then went on a rant about all the "decisions" that went against his team. He should have been saying how lucky he was to have only lost 3-0 - if Sissoko and Son had shown any degree of composure in front of goal, it would already have been a rout by the time Harry finished off his hat trick.

Southampton up next at Wembley, a lunch time fixture on Boxing Day, hopefully the atmosphere will be less soporific than usual, but with the supporters nursing their turkey hangovers, it could be one of those sleepy Wembley days that we have seen too often.

pookspur and soccernutter repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Austin is out, so good to Spurs.

I should also really say Happy Chanukah to you yids....but Merry Christmas.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I agree with everything about this post.

I was at Turf Moor for their 1-0 win over Newcastle in late October, and I was really worried about this one. They are very tight as a unit, and are almost impossible to break down, and the relevance of 'when we played them' isn't overstated. And, of course, the early goal helped a ton. It was a dead cert penalty to my mind ... but to theirs who clearly didn't see it that way, there's little doubt that it affected how they had to approach the following 75 minutes.

Dyche I thought was fair regarding the two big decisions, claiming they could've gone either way - which I suppose is technically true, but they weren't major complaints. I thought he was right on, too, when stating there was more to be aggrieved at by the later calls (after the game had been decided) ... Hugo deffo got lucky there. And of course, he was right that Kane is brilliant, we were better, and that's all that matters in the end.

If anyone wants to get a feel for what Burnley's doing right and why they're where they are, take a few minutes to listen to Dyche's full post-match commentary. Like Poch, he seems to understand that the 'accepted' narrative of having to strike while the iron is hot and taking the big jobs when they pop up is not necessarily the best way to go about it. Building something solid offers much better long term stability than taking the first big offer and putting your reputation at the mercy of the next six months.

and lastly, I'm pretty sure there are significantly fewer trains running on Christmas and Boxing Day, so getting to and from Wembley will be a bigger than usual challenge. Add that to the early kickoff/turkey hangover factor, and we could be looking at a fairly flat atmosphere.

Golara repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    oh, and merry Christmas, ya miserable bastards.