Burn get Garlick

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burn just got Garlick for a 2005 2nd rounder.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Does this imply that DJ is on his way out??

I sure hope not..

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he doesn't pitch a fit if DJ beats him out for the starting spot here like he did in Colorado.

Still, he's a pretty good keeper.

4. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well maybe not if all we gave up was a 2nd rounder.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion depends entirely on what we'd get for DJ in a trade. If we were to get some real swag in exchange for DJ, then I could live with it. But short of that, I don't think I'd want to see him traded.

6. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Is there anyone in MLS who DJ would be worth trading for?

Bearing in mind he didn't exactly have the best of years last year.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i cannot imagine so...

dallas needs a good quality back-up with DJ no doubt missing some time this upcoming season with the u23 squad.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not too bad of a deal. Certainly not as bad as it seemed. We'll be needing a goalkeeper for the month that Countess is in Athens, and Cassar isn't really an adequate MLS keeper.

Garlick's maybe worth a second rounder (the second round picks in last year's draft were amazing, though), at least we're not radically overpaying like it seemed.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Columbus could put together a nice little package for him with minimal effort.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not. By my thinking, most every team in the league is set at starting GK:

Colorado - Cannon
    San Jose - Onstad
    LA - Hartman
    Kansas City - Meola
    Chicago - Thornton
    Columbus - Busch
    DC United - Rimando
    Metros - Walker
    New England - Brown

And given that no one really needs a starting GK, no one would give up very much to get DJ. About the only team I could see being interested in DJ would be San Jose if Onstad retires. (He is 37, after all.)

Maybe Columbus, but I thought that they were pretty happy with Jon Busch.

11. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Columbus seems to be the only team that really should be looking to upgrade their starting GK spot (i find it hard to believe theyd be so set on Busch as a competent starter)...but i'm not sure why you guys are so anxious to get rid of DJ, even if there were flaws in his game last season despite the team he played for, the potential in him in addition to the fact that he is not at all a bad GK (just young and still raw) makes his value very high...plus, how long would you guys really want garlick to be your starter for??...once he leaves, you'd be in the market for a starting GK again, why not just suffer through DJ's growing pains so you can enjoy his success in the near future..

12. hartley

hartley Member

You could say we are set in KC with Meola. But some of us KC fans would love to see some competition for Tony.

So, what could KC offer Dallas if we were interested in DJ?

13. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    We're not anxious to get rid of him. We're just wondering what Clarke might be looking at.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know of too many Burn fans who want to get rid of DJ. Frankly, it's the one position that sucked least in 2003.

It's the reason why I said that if DJ is gone, we damn well better be getting something good for him.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that DJ is staying P-40 next year. That increases his value.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Remember that teams will also start looking at who they can protect, and who they're likely to lose next winter when the expansion draft hits. Having two #1 keepers might not be such a bad thing.

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BURN ACQUIRES VETERAN GOALKEEPER
    SCOTT GARLICK FROM COLORADO

DALLAS - The Dallas Burn announced today that the team has acquired veteran goalkeeper Scott Garlick from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for the Burn's natural second round pick in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft.
    "We're very excited and happy to be able to add a player with Scott's experience, ability and leadership," said Burn Head Coach Colin Clarke. "Acquiring Scott gives us great options and depth at the goalkeeper position. This move enables us to create depth throughout the squad and competition at all positions. When we became aware of Scott's availability and his interest in joining the Burn, we immediately jumped at the opportunity to add him to our squad."
    Garlick, an MLS All-Star selection in 2000, currently ranks second all-time in league history in saves (763) and is third all-time in wins with 81 and minutes (14,901). He has played for Colorado for the last two-plus years after joining the Rapids from Tampa Bay in 2001 in exchange for Adin Brown and Scott Vermillion. Prior to joining the Mutiny, Garlick, 31, spent the 1997 and '98 seasons with DC United and was the starting goalkeeper in United's 2-1 victory over Colorado in MLS Cup '97.
    "I'm extremely excited to be coming to Dallas," said Garlick. "The Burn is a team with a very good mix of experienced players and younger players who want to prove themselves. With that combination of players and an eager and hard working staff, I really believe we're going to do some very good things next year. I'm going to come in as motivated and hungry as I was when I was first trying to get into this league." In his seven years in the league, Garlick has played in 166 matches with a 1.58 goals-against average and 34 shutouts, the fourth most shutouts in league history. He finished the 2003 season tied for first in shutouts with nine.

SCOTT GARLICK
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 195
    Position: Goalkeeper
    Born: 5-29-72 in Phoenix, Arizona
    Hometown: Phoenix, Arizona
    Citizenship: USA

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I like this trade simply because it allows us to write funny thread subject lines like "The Cotton Bowl stinks of Garlick"

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a statement I certainly agree with.

If DJ goes somewhere it better be for someone real hot. Otherwise I want DJ staying.

20. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great deal. We keep DJ and get Garlick for essentially a throw away draft pick.

I may be undervaluing the draft, but much like the NBA, I think any pick after the 1st round is a longshot at best.

21. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

The trade we were all talking about, the one that so worried us, is half way done. Garlick will be in Dallas next year. The other half is trading DJ. Many of us have disagreed with that part of it. It would seem to me that only Columbus and New England might want another 'keeper enough to offer something substantial.

The first half of the rumored trade is good. It is the second (if, indeed, there is more to this) that worries me.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Finally! I thought this thing would drag out forever. Garlick is a good, cheap pickup. He can cover for Dallas while DJ is away and can help DJ to become a better keeper. Plus, if DJ were to get hurt, Dallas has a more than adequate and proven backup.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Damn, look at that list.

Cannon, Onstad, Hartman, Meola and Thornton are all former MLS 'Keepers of the Year.

Meola has been on three World Cup teams and played in two of them.

Onstad is a Canadian international with loads of experience.

Cannon, Hartman, Rimando and Thornton have all been capped by the senior team. Brown has been called in several times and was the backup on the Gold Cup team but hasn't been capped.

Walker is a veteran of the Copa Libertadores and currently in the national team camp.

Busch is the only one who isn't that accomplished but he has been a regular starter the past two years and has loads of A-League experience. (Like Onstand, he was an A-League GK of the Year.)

In otherwords, every team seems set in goal. Sure, they could all use a great young roster-exempt backup like DJ, but so too could the Burn and of all the GKs, Garlick and Busch are the least accomplished so if he's gonna back up one of them, he might as well stay in Big D.

More importatnly, while DJ would be a nice assett for another team, he would be a luxury and wouldn't bring much in return.

Certainly, DJ's value is greater to Dallas.

At the same time, DJ got benched by Clarke soon after he took over and that's pretty telling. So, I would guess that Colin didn't trade for Garlick just to hear his snappy come backs like Joe Bazooka.

Me thinks Clarke didn't rate DJ as highly as Jeffries did and wanted a more veteran presence in goal.

I also can't see DJ taking a benching well and figure that the club may think it's better off without him if he's going to be unhappy at being a backup.

We shall see but I think Dallas isn't going to get as much for DJ as he's worth because of the glut in the GK market.

24. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    "We shall see but I think Dallas isn't going to get
    as much for DJ as he's worth because of the glut
    in the GK market."

Which is exactly why DJ won't be moved
    unless it's part of a package that helps to
    unlock DJ's "real market" value. I had hoped
    something could have been put together that
    sent DJ + others/picks to Colorado for Maestro
    + Garlick.

How do Colin and GE rate DJ, Garlick & Cassar?
    Some combination of that equation equals
    a need for more GK cover during the Olympics.

Garlick for a second round pick?
    Good trade. Second round picks
    rarely deliver starter-level impact.

-bs

ADDENDUM:
    That list of "top notch" keepers may not stay
    intact through the January transfer window.
    I think it's likely that 2 or 3 european teams
    come in for some of the current "top flite"
    keepers in MLS. Thus, further unlocking
    DJ's "real market" value.

25. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Any chance that Junior Steve Cronin would be available in this year's draft? I could definitely give a thumbs up to trading DJ for talent, if we could land Cronin. Garlick as a starter and allowing Cronin to gradually break in to the starting role would work for me.