Bundesliga Players of the Past IX

Discussion in 'Germany' started by noone23, Nov 17, 2009.

1. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    A Response(Meager Though It Might Be)

Well, Gregoriak, it looks like you have taken over(from Squidward)as my personal cheerleader. Yes, I will at some point get back to the Bundesliga players from the past(which as I said several hundred posts ago include the late Robert Enke). I'm still trying to figure out how far to go with this Enke tribute. It seems that once I started using Sportbild.de as my info and pic source that I found myself in the position of a reporter trying to cover the Enke suicide story from all possible angles. At this point continuing is awkward and stopping is also awkward so I have a decision to make.

I've been wanting to get back here to post something ever since I last did so(on the last day of 2009)but the time I want to do what I want here has been very elusive. Among other things, it hasn't helped that we here have had the snowiest winter on record so during that period I have had to spend a number of days clearing all the snow out of our driveway so people can get in and out of here. Fortunately that appears to be behind us now so I can at least park myself in front of the PC some more.

It's good to see that this thread(as has least one of the others like it)has been getting a lot of views even though I haven't added anything to it in two and a half months. I had thought that might happen when I was actually adding to it but what do I know?

It's also good to see Hannover 96 get back to winning a couple of matches and stopping the club's freefall. They seem to have taken a long time to recover from the death of their star goalkeeper. Interesting that Slomka(who coached previously at Schalke and who attended the Enke memorial service in the Niedersachsenstadion(I'm using the old stadium name, of course)now runs H96. Let's see if he can keep the club on the path out of the relegation zone.

Thanks, Gregoriak, for your continued support(in case such thanks weren't implied earlier here).

2. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    A Minor Decision on My Part

For now I think I'll keep going with this Enke tribute, as I think this story still has something left. Blame Sportbild.de if there is any blame to be assigned; I think I got this way of thinking from there. The other Bundesliga players from the league's past will still be waiting for me when I decide to get back to them.

3. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 329

[​IMG]

Back to VfB Stuttgart vs. Unirea Urziceni: Christian Traesch celebrates the goal that gave VfB a 2:0 lead.

[​IMG]

Sami Khedira gets in on the Stuttgart celebrations.

[​IMG]

Stuttgart trainer Christian Gross(who once played for VfL Bochum) looks pleased with the way things are going for his team so far.

This is part 329 of my Robert Enke tribute.

4. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 330

[​IMG]

Pawel Pogrebnjak has just scored to further extend Stuttgart's lead to 3:0.

[​IMG]

Clearly Urziceni goalkeeper Giedrius Arlauskis did not have a good evening.

[​IMG]

Now the Stuttgart fans do some celebrating of their own.

This is part 330 of my Robert Enke tribute.

5. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 331

[​IMG]

Stuttgart's trainer Christian Gross paces nervously in front of his club's bench.

[​IMG]

A few VfB fans display greetings for ex-trainer Markus Babbel.

[​IMG]

Gross and Horst Heldt have good reason to be satisfied.

This is part 331 of my Robert Enke tribute.

6. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 332

[​IMG]

Pablo Brandan of Urziceni is the man on the ground here.

[​IMG]

Stuttgart goalscorer Marica battles for the ball with Urziceni's Ersin Mehmedovic.

[​IMG]

Christian Gross, with six league titles and five cup titles in Switzerland to his credit, has been one of the most successful Swiss coaches.

This is part 332 of my Robert Enke tribute.

7. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 333

[​IMG]

Just to reiterate, Christian Gross replaced the in the end luckless Markus Babbel as Vfb Stuttgart trainer.

[​IMG]

Gross played for Swiss clubs Grasshoppers Zurich, Lausanne Sports, Xamax Neuchatel, FC St. Gallen and FC Lugano.

[​IMG]

Between 1980 and 1982 Gross played in 29 matches for VfL Bochum.

This is part 333 of my Robert Enke tribute.

8. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 334

[​IMG]

Christian Gross began his coaching career with Grasshoppers Zurich who he led to two league championships and a cup title between 1993 and 1997.

[​IMG]

Gross also had a year at the helm of English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspurs.

[​IMG]

Gross coached FC Basel from 1999 to 2009 winning four league titles and four cups in that time.

This is part 334 of my Robert Enke tribute.

9. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 335

[​IMG]

FC Basel player David Degen gets instructions from Christian Gross.

[​IMG]

Basel finished third in the Swiss league and had a disastrous Champions League performance in Gross' last season there.

[​IMG]

Gross had to witness his FC Basel club's consecutive 0:5 home defeats to Barcelona and Schactor Donetsk.

This is part 335 of my Robert Enke tribute.

10. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 336

[​IMG]

In the first leg of their Champions League matchup Unirea Urziceni and VfB Stuttgart played to a 1:1 result. Stuttgart's trainer(at the time)Markus Babbel apparently wasn't pleased with that result.

[​IMG]

Serdar Tasci was happy(and showed it)over his goal against the Roumanians.

[​IMG]

Urziceni goalscorer Dacian Varga and teammate George Galamaz are the happy ones this time.

This is part 336 of my Robert Enke tribute.

11. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 337

[​IMG]

The Urziceni bench gets in on the goal celebration.

[​IMG]

Urziceni's Vasile Mafte and Stuttgart striker Pawel Pogrebnjak are shown here in a header duel.

[​IMG]

To the Roumanian Marica of VfB Stuttgart the match at Urziceni was like a home contest.

This is part 337 of my Robert Enke tribute.

12. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 338

[​IMG]

Thomas Hitzlsperger gets attention here from Dacian Varga. Varga played with a lot of dedication and passion.

[​IMG]

Stuttgart's Ciprian Marica can't believe how he has just missed a goalscoring opportunity.

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel hugs goalscorer Zdravko Kuzmanovic during a 1:1 Champions League match against FC Sevilla.

This is part 338 of my Robert Enke tribute.

13. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 339

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel instructs his Stuttgart players during a training session.

[​IMG]

In Babbel's first season as Stuttgart trainer the club was in 14th place in the Bundesliga but he guided VfB to a place in the Champions League by the end of the season.

[​IMG]

Babbel's last chance in the Champions League came in a match against Glasgow Rangers.

This is part 339 of my Robert Enke tribute.

14. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 340

[​IMG]

Few believed in Stuttgart's chances for victory prior to the VfB-Glasgow Rangers match.

[​IMG]

Here Babbel shouts out instructions to his team during a tied game in Seville which was part of the Champions League group phase.

[​IMG]

Babbel appears in the same photograph with Louis van Gaal at a point where both trainers had their backs to the wall.

This is part 340 of my Robert Enke tribute.

15. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 341

[​IMG]

Markus Babel and the Stuttgart bench celebrate a 2:1 victory over Schalke.

[​IMG]

Babbel is shown here with his "better half" Silke.

[​IMG]

Babbel here is shown in his playing days with Bayern Muenchen going up against FC Koeln striker and future HSV trainer Bruno Labbadia.

This is part 341 of my Robert Enke tribute.

16. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 342

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel and Juergen Klinsmann celebrate Bayern's 1996 UEFA Cup final victory over Girondins Bordeaux.

[​IMG]

Babbel - obviously - has just sustained a serious head injury in this shot.

[​IMG]

Babbel is shown here playing for Liverpool in a match against Southampton.

This is part 342 of my Robert Enke tribute.

17. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 343

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel has a discussion with some VfB fans.

[​IMG]

Babbel appeases Stuttgart fans during a VfB match in Frankfurt.

[​IMG]

Babbel photographed in Autumn 2009.

This is part 343 of my Robert Enke tribute.

18. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 344

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel gets a show of support from fans of VfB Stuttgart in difficult times.

[​IMG]

Babbel manages a smile here but the question comes up as to how much longer he can hold on.

[​IMG]

Babbel is shown here at his first training session in charge of VfB Stuttgart.

This is part 344 of my Robert Enke tribute.

19. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 345

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel poses here with second wife Silke. They have two children together, named Giulia and Sienna, and he also has two children by his first wife, named Pia and Yannick.

[​IMG]

Babbel finished his profi career with VfB Stuttgart where he played from 1994 to 1997; Philipp Lahm was one of his teammates.

[​IMG]

Babbel began his playing career as a Bayern substitute who made twelve appearances for the club before transferring to Hamburg SV for whom he is shown here playing against Matthias Lindner of VfB Leipzig.

This is part 345 of my Robert Enke tribute.

20. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 346

[​IMG]

Markus Babbel is shown in the uniform of the German national team for which he played from 1995 to 2000 with one goal scored in that time.

[​IMG]

Babbel(on the left)poses on the Zugspitze with(left to right)Thomas Helmer, Hansi Mueller, Herbert Wimmer and Oliver Bierhoff.

[​IMG]

Posing here at the Munich Oktoberfest are Miroslav and Sylwia Klose.

This is part 346 of my Robert Enke tribute.

21. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 347

[​IMG]

Bastian Schweinsteiger and Sarah Brandner are photographed at a Munich beer garden.

[​IMG]

Schweinsteiger and Sarah are snapped again, this time at the Bayern 2007 year end party.

[​IMG]

Sarah has a kiss for her man at the Euro championships.

This is part 347 of my Robert Enke tribute.

22. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 348

[​IMG]

Arjen Robben and his wife Bernadine at their 2007 wedding.

[​IMG]

Martin Dimichelis holds his girl Evangelina in his arms.

[​IMG]

Do I have to explain what Martin and Evangelina are doing here?

This is part 348 of my Robert Enke tribute.

23. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 349

[​IMG]

Mr. and Mrs. Ballack are dressed all in black(obviously, I know)for this occasion.

[​IMG]

Michael and Simone Ballack at a party in Munich.

[​IMG]

Michael and Simone Ballack are beaming in this shot.

This is part 349 of my Robert Enke tribute.

24. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 350

[​IMG]

Simone Ballack wears the German NT shirt at Euro 2008.

[​IMG]

Thomas Mueller(Bayern)and his girlfriend Lisa with her nice smile are shown in this photo.

[​IMG]

Mueller is about to get a kiss from girlfriend Lisa after the match.

This is part 380 of my Robert Enke tribute.

25. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Robert Enke Tribute Part 351

First of all, the last post was Part 350 in this tribute. I don't know what possessed me to say Part 380(wishful thinking?). I hope I didn't confuse anyone too much with that; if so I apologize. With that said, now we can all move on.

[​IMG]

Here Simone Ballack is taking a recent break in Florida(Miami)with husband Michael still on crutches after his injury in the English FA Cup final.

[​IMG]

Manuel Neuer is here with his(since 2009)girlfriend Kathrin. She lives in Munich and appears in advertising campaigns even though Neuer doesn't like her appearing in public.

[​IMG]

Here we see Anna Maria Lagerblom(on the left, age 28), who has been the girlfriend of Mesut Oezil(age 21)since 2008 and is the sister of pop star Sarah Connor(on the right).

Now, this is part 351 of this Robert Enke tribute.