Bundesliga Players of the Past II

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Please continue

2. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Answer To Squid From the Last Thread

So far I don't plan on watching Eurowhatever unless a VERY compelling reason comes along. I have gotten so used to things that are interactive that I watch very little television anymore. Additionally, soccer at the national team level is more boring to me than at the club level as the NT coaches seem more preoccupied with not losing than with finding ways to win. Following Germany in particular seems like an exercise in frustration as the German NT too often over the years has looked like nothing but a waste of talent. That's just how I feel.

3. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Carsten Hallman

[​IMG]

Hallmann played 30 games in goal for Saarbruecken in 1985-86 picking up a yellow card during the season. For a goalkeeper he was fairly big but not as much as a number of others we have seen so far.

4. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Jan-Halvor Halvorsen

[​IMG]

Norwegian defender Halvorsen played 28 games for Hertha Berlin in 1990-91. He did not score and picked up 9(yellow)cards that Bundesliga season. He was what I would consider seriously tall but several kgs underweight for his height.

5. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Matthias Hamann

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Matthias Hamann played in midfield and defense(he started out as a striker who had a roster spot with Bayern in 1988-89 prior to a transfer in midseason to second division Fortuna Cologne)for Kaiserslautern from 1994 to late 1995 and for 1860 Munich from approximately early February of 1996 to 1998. Of his 4 complete seasons that he spent in the Bundesliga he played 4 as a fulltime player, 1 as a parttimer and 1 as a reserve in action in only a few games. When all was said and done Hamann played in 59 contests in the BL scoring twice and getting booked 19 times(all of the yellow card variety). He was quite tall but here again he should have been about a half dozen kgs heavier for his considerable height.

6. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Matthias Hamann, Part Deux

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

For all Matthias Hamann fans out there here are some more pics of your hero.

7. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    A Parting Shot of Matthias Hamann

[​IMG]

This is a pic of Mr. Hamann that didn't make it into either of the first 2 Hamann posts so better late than never.

8. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    A Bjarne Goldbaek Pic That Almost Got Away

[​IMG]

This pic was too good to pass up, especially since I already posted about Goldbaek and I hadn't yet found this gem. I hope you agree.

9. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    I Knew This Was Imminent...

...I just didn't know how imminent. The thread title is fine. Of course, I should have properly done this as soon as this thread was started so, still, no harm done, I think.

10. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Re: I Knew This Was Imminent...

Right around 500 posts is a good time to start a new one.

11. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    The 500 Post Per Thread Limit

Why, exactly, does the 500 post per thread limit exist? Does it have something to do with bandwidth? Or is it just plain space considerations? My only hope in this case is that the thread would contain not less than the magic number of 500 messages before you shut it down. I must admit, this is my first experience with threads filling up enough to have to be shut down and new ones started in continuation. Interesting situation, this one.

12. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Stefan Hampl

[​IMG]

Hampl played striker for Freiburg from 1998 to 2000. He participated in all of 6 games total in the Bundesliga(4 the first season and 2 the second)and picked up neither goals nor bookings in his league career in miniature. I've said this to the point of exhaustion, no doubt, but it wouldn't have hurt him to have weighed maybe 5 more kgs for his considerable height.

13. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Re: The 500 Post Per Thread Limit

If I remember correctly..it has do deal with bandwidth.

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Answer To Squid From the Last Thread

since when do you reckon it has looked like "nothing but a waste of talent"?

They have been playing well for the last 3 years though so this one might be worth watching...

15. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Klaus-Peter Hanisch

[​IMG]

Hanisch played in defense for Hertha Berlin from 1972 to 1974 and for Hertha's crosstown rivals Tennis Borussia Berlin in 1976-77. He was a reserve the whole way through totaling only 19 career Bundesliga appearances in which he failed to generate any in-game statistics, either positive or negative.

16. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    My Current Lack of Interest in the German NT

Okay, let's see...Spain 1982...Mexico 1986...USA 1994... France 1998...etc., etc., etc. Even when the German NT gets close it gets to the point where one mistake or one bad spell blows the whole deal. In the last WC - just as one example - it took a late goal to subdue Poland which should have been an easier opponent, especially at home. I haven't even been paying that much attention in these last 3 years; like I said, I don't watch much television of any sort anymore. I guess I have been spoiled by too many arcade-style soccer simulations. More power to you if you want to watch(and to the NT).

17. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Stephan Hanke

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hank played in midfield for Leverkusen in 1993-94(1 match)after spending the previous 2 seasons on the club's roster without getting in any GPs and for St. Pauli from 1995 to 1997. With the Paulianers he was a regular in the lineup putting in 61 performances while there. In those 61 games he scored once and collected 16 total cards(13 yellow and 3 yellow/red). He was, simply put, just too thin for his barely adequate(for inside positions)height.

18. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    More of Stephan Hanke Illustrated

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here are a couple more pics of the much-beloved Stephan Hanke.

19. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Christoph Hanses

[​IMG]

Midfielder/striker Hanses played all of 4 career Bundesliga games in 1986-87(3 games)and 1988-89(1 game) for Bremen(and was on the Werder roster with no GPs in 1989-90)without picking up any goals or bookings. He was on the shorter side(and still a bit underweight for that)so he would have been wise to avoid the middle(except coming out of midfield).

20. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hapal was a midfielder form Czechoslovakia/the Czech Republic who played as a fulltimer each season from 1992 to 1995 for Leverkusen. The stats for his brief career in the Bundesliga were as follows: 86 games played, 13 goals, 14 yellow cards and 2 yellow/red cards.

21. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Michael Harforth

[​IMG]

Harforth played midfield in the Bundesliga for Karlsruhe in 1981-82, 1984-85 and 1987 to 1992. He played 6 seasons as a fulltime player and 1 other as a parttimer. In 181 league games he scored 14 goals and picked up 25 total cards of which 24 were yellow and 1 was red. With his smaller build it only would have made good sense for him to play outside.

22. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Uwe Hartenberger

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hartenberger played in 3 matches at striker and scored once with a yellow card picked up for Uerdingen in the 1992-93 Bundesliga season; that was the sum total of his entire career in the league. He was big enough to play centerforward but another kg or 2 wouldn't have hurt him.

23. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Hans-Werner Hartl

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hartl played striker and, at the end of his time in the Bundesliga, in midfield for Bochum from 1971 to 1973 and for Dortmund from 1976 to the late summer/autumn of 1977. He played for 2 seasons as a fulltimer and 2 others as a reserve who wasn't called upon very often(the latter included the 1977-78 season when he transferred from Dortmund to second division Union Solingen after only 2 GPs with Borussia that season). In 68 career league matches he scored 20 goals(of which 10 came in 1971-72 in Bochum's first season in the BL)while staying out of trouble and not getting booked once.

24. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Bernhard Hartmann

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hartmann was a goalkeeper who played in the Bundesliga for 1860 Munich in 1977-78 and for Nuernberg from 1980 to 1982(and was on the FCN roster in 1982-83 with out getting in any GPs). With 1860 he was the clear number 1 in goal with 32 GPs in his only season with the club at the top level but with Nuernberg he only made 16 appearances in 3 seasons there as he was unable to get more playing time with Rudi Kargus the established starter. When he did get to play he was a gentleman with no bookings against his name.

25. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Frank Hartmann

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There were 2 players in the Bundesliga named Frank Hartmann. This Frank Hartmann was a striker who played for Bayern from 1985 to August/September of 1986 and for Hannover 96 in 1987-1988(and in 1988-89 on the club's roster but did not play that season). Both of his complete seasons in the league were played as a parttime forward; in his other season he transferred early - 1 GP - to Hannover which was then in the second division. In 32 BL contests he scored 5 times and got whistled down for 3 yellow cards. He was a little small to have played centerforward.