Building out of the back Animated Video (for coaches)

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Kai Werring, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Kai Werring

Kai Werring New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Here is a 12 drill animated video I made in regards to building out of the back with possession. Typically stage 2/3 drills for U.S Soccer. All based postionally for u11 and up.

Thanks

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Kai, I appreciate and value what you are doing. Here are my comments.

The drills are focused on 11v11 team tactics which I don't think should be a topic of training before soccer age 13.

The use of quotations appears to be in some cases just name dropping. Some of the meaning seems lost in translation. Rather than impress or inform, I think you will just confuse people with them. I like to quote people too. I don't have anything against quoting famous people.

While everyone has their own view of the game, I don't get yours. Why is drill 4 not drill 1? I don't see any value in teaching team tactics in drill 1 that involve short, presumably on-the-ground passing to maintain possession in the six yard box. The idea of tactical speed is a fundamental and not limited to any particular area of the field or position.

Hope this feedback helps.

3. Kai Werring

Kai Werring New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Really appreciate it!

I believe teaching 'shape' can be introduced earlier. Without the use of shape, a lot of coaches only become cheerleaders on the sidelines. Telling their players what they did right or wrong or what they should have done. I mean think about it...Players will make mistakes no matter what, which is absolutely fine by me.. but why can't I teach them to at least be in the correct positions of the field to perhaps reduce these mistakes by giving them more time and space? Once a player realizes 'why' he is doing these actions and 'opening up' he begins to see a different part of the game. But I'm fortunate as I coach my teams 4 times a week, and can integrate these ideas and drills without neglecting their skills and technical work.

I just re-read all my quotes. I actually think their pretty relatable. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit with one or two, but most of them tie into the drills seamlessly.

The drills are really in no particular order. I always vary my dimensions depending on skill level and what I want to achieve. But typically I start very tight to introduce the importance of utilizing the GK, and even more so of keeping the ball 'high' in the grid. Drill 1 is definitely just a positional rondo to introduce the center-backs, the #6, and GK to my style of training, the importance of working together, and getting out of the tight situations.

Long story short. Instead of rondos, I would much rather have them do everything in their positions in tight areas. The forwards are learning to press together without me even working with them yet, and the defense begins building an understanding of what I want and why its beneficial to them as individuals and as a team as a whole.

But yes, everyone has their own views on every single thing, coaching included. I love hearing these things so I can change, learn, and grow. I appreciate your feedback tremendously.

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Your approach is certainly in step with USSF doctrine.

Regarding "shape", I like to talk about the same topic as "space." It is semantics, but either way we are talking about fundamentals, the principles of play. I think a novice starts out "seeing" the ball and the other players. I think my job is to teach them to see the space that is and will be coming. The space is determined by the movements of the players and the ball, but I want them to focus on seeing space over time. So I talk about space instead of positions.

Kai Werring repped this.
  5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love it.

These are basic games, esp 1 and 2. I could play these with my u8s-just tweak it so the coaching points are age appropriate.

#1 is a simple 4v2 rondo-can make it directional by letting them play across the top of penalty area for a point.

#2 can teach shape and how we form shape and again it's build up oriented

Kai Werring repped this.