Building a team for 2014

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MichaelJohn, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    North America
    Since Brazil is the host in 2014 and the host team automatically qualifies, will the team still play CONMEBOL qualifying matches? We know there's going to be a new coach, and it seems reasonable to assume that there will be new players and new tactics. So, if the team does not play qualifying matches, how will the players get experience playing together in competitive games?

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: World Cup 2014 General Progress

The same way any other host does - tons of friendlies, the continental championship and the Confederations Cup.

3. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

Another record for the books - Brazil is the only country who qualified for ALL the world cups since day one!!!

I propose that Brasil always qualifies for all future world cups, as an honored country.... the only "seeded" forever country.

4. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

Lets build a "youth" team... Neymar, Ganso, Thiago Silva, etc
    and forget about Gilberto Silva, etc...

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

well its no good to have all the oldies at this point. Gilberto will be like 37? Kaka will be into his 30s...and doubt he will be half the player he is now.

the only players worth keeping...probably Robinho and Ramires. Elano and Melo...would have to see how they do next season and Fabiano...he'd be 32?? or so. no good.

time to give some of the local players chances. Elias, Hernanes, Mario Fernandes. etc.

6. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i do a team based on football manager lolololol

julio cesar

2-maicon
    3- rafael toloi
    4-thiago silva
    6- waiting for a star to shine
    5- ramires
    8- jucilei
    10-ganso
    11-neymar
    9- pato pipoca
    7 - alguem

o engracado eh que quando chega em 2014, nem metade dos que eu citei vai tar na copa. uahauahuhau

7. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

dunga did a great job as coach the past 4 years. he had a winning team that won the copa america, confed cup and finished atop the qualifiers and had a solid group stage performance and won convincingly against chile.

unfortunately, today was not brasil's day. simple as that. it's a waste of energy to play the "dunga should have called XYZ to the NT instead of ABC" but unfortunately, elano's injury was a big factor in my eyes (he was my favorite player on the NT the past 4 years).

holland played well today and capitalized on their opportunities - brasil put up a good fight despite being down a player, but like i said before the world cup - if brasil didn't win the tournament, the reason would be simply that the winning team played better on that given day.

there should be no regrets about this team - the right group of players went to South africa.

no shame in losing to holland....

9. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

His minor trophies and winning streaks don't mean anything unless he won the World Cup.

btw Holland werent any good, but calculated approach destroyed Brazil. Theres always shame, just like it was losing to France four years ago (and they were much better than this Holland side)

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I've separated this into a new thread because Alex's intent with 2014 General Progress was to focus on cities and infrastructure.

This thread can be dedicated to talking about things on the field.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I've been preparing a blog post on this and saving it for after the World Cup.

I think for 2010-2011 as we start to build and bring in new players the following core should be what we build around:

Julio Cesar; Maicon, Elano, Robinho

I wouldn't keep Lucio and Juan automatically only because of age. However I'd keep them in the picture overall. Melo and Gilberto Silva are out, for different reasons which I don't need to go over here. Kaka would, like Lucio and Juan, be in the picture.

Obviously though that's not much to build around - the key is Elano and Robinho though. The move to a 4-2-3-1 for Brazil has been very good. Now we need more versatile midfielders in the "2" position. Let's continue moving away from 2 pure defensive midfielders. Yes, if we have full-backs like Maicon they need protection, but we also need alternatives - the full-back should be able to work with the d-mid while Elano stays back, just as Elano works with the full-back and the d-mid stays back. More importantly, better (more versatile) d-mids, provide runs from deep, something we desperately need I think.

Left-back remains a big question mark and introducing a player like David Luiz would probably give us the option of a 3-5-2 if needed, while using Marcelo for example would force us further into the 4-4-2 problems.

Finally, I think there's potential if we play without a true center-forward, or at least make that an option - someone like Robinho on the right would be very interesting.

Anyways, I would look to build on a starting line-up of:

Julio Cesar; Maicon, Thiago Silva, Miranda, David Luiz; Hernanes, Sandro; Elano, Ganso, Robinho; Pato

and see which way it takes me (as well as who develops to fight for those spots).

12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

while he has been a world beater for the national team the past 4 years, will the next coach continue to call on elano? at 29 - he is no spring chicken. but i guess his style of play may allow him to play at an older age as effective...

as much as i love watching him play (my favorite player on the NT the past 4 years), i only wonder how much longer can he last. i can see him playing through the copa america, but like kaka, i can see elano sticking around but paving the road for players like hernanes, ganso, douglas costa, coutinho, etc. etc.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I would just use him for now, to start the cycle, and expect to bring in new talent to back him up in Copa America and take his spot before 2012/2013.

14. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    The team should not be built around players who will be above 32+ in 2014..
    apart from Maicon and Julio cesar nobody else should be there ...I don't like KAKA being in the team just for being KAKA ..He will be 32 by 2014 and I don't see him providing any good for NT..
    next coach will have more pressure of winning it especially at home..It's better not to select anyone based on past perfomances with NT..
    I would like to see David Luiz,T.Silva,Filepe ,Maicon at the back ..May be captain's armband should go to Maicon or Julio cesor .

15. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Coutinho should be getting a call up to the National team by 2012 at the latest depending on how he is performing at Inter. He has that creativity that we lacked apart from Robinho, plus he is a incredible passer.

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i imagine we'll see coutinho play in the u20 world cup next year and olympics in 2012 before he gets his first senior cap (assuming things progress for him at the club level)

i've only seen him play at the u15 level and on a few occasions for VDG and he's got some good potential.

i would like to see some of those shaktar donetsk players get some caps - douglas costa and luiz adriano.

it will be interesting to see how players like carlos eduardo, ganso, hernanes, douglas costa and coutinho compete for playing time. seems like there are plenty of options of the new breed for attacking midfielders.

17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It mandatory to have a few vets b/c the youngster are nowhere near ready. The only players from this team that should remain are J. Cesar, Ramires, Elano, Robinho, Maicon and Alves. Everybody depends on evaluations. Juan, G. Silva and Lucio might as well retire b/c they will be too old.

The midfield needs the biggest makeover.

18. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    when is the friendly against USA scheduled? Is it in August?

19. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I think is is Tuesday August 10, in the new Meadowlands (NY Giants/Jets) stadium in New Jersey.

Who knows who the new coach and players will be for this game...

20. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Ombak

Dani Alves will surely be on the team if nothing weird happens.

21. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    What about Leonardo.....maybe he should be the new coach?

22. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    I don't know if he can take the pressure to win in 2014. It is going to be considered a guarantee.

23. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte

I wouldn't completely rule out Kaka' staying for 2014, but things have to improve tremendously for him to stick around. I think he was to undergo an operation for his pubalgia which some speculated he delayed to be able to play the WC. He will still be under contract with Madrid and hopefully will be regularly playing. If he has great seasons and begins to regain confidence things could work. He's been plagued by injury for the past 2 years, so he's clearly not been 100% physically or mentally. The names you listed might be to green then, but it might be too early to speak about it now, so we'll see.

Personally I'm not that impressed with Ganso. On the other hand, I really like Coutinho and am excited for him. He'll probably get loaned out and it'll probably be another 2 years until he has a chance to get incoporated into the Inter side, but time is on his side. I hope I'm wrong.

24. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    How good is Neymar? I'm looking at his statistics and it says as a 17 year old he scored 14 goals with Santos, and this past year as a 18 year old he scored 27 goals in 29 appearances. That's pretty sick.

25. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I also like Coutinho very much. I saw him live in Gavea about one and a half year ago against Flamengo when he was still playing with youth team.

He was completely sick, the biggest talent I ever seen live and he didn't even play that well that game according to my friend that have seen him many times.

But of course it's totally different at a professional level and it will take some time for him to adapt in Italy.