Build Out Lines

Discussion in 'Referee' started by NOVA Ref, Nov 22, 2019.

1. NOVA Ref

NOVA Ref New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I have a few questions for U9/U10 Build out lines:

1. Say the GK catches a shot and has the ball in his hands. The opponents must drop back behind the build out line. The GK is not allowed to punt or drop kick the ball. What if the GK drops the ball to his feet to pass it forward? What if he dribbles it up a little before making a pass? Are the opponents allowed to pressure as soon as the GK puts the ball on the ground?

2. Let's say accidental header in the penalty area. For U9/U10s, an accidental header is a drop ball. Any drop ball in the penalty area is a drop ball to that GK. Do the opponents need to drop back to the build out line on a drop ball? Is the GK allowed to pick up the dropped ball? I assume that if he could, then the opponents have to drop back behind the build out line.

3. If the defending team deliberately heads the ball, the result is a direct kick. So if a defender deliberately heads the ball in the penalty area, is that a PK?

Anything else out of the ordinary that people have encountered?

Thanks

2. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Per new guidance from AYSO and although USSF have not updated their website....

1. Players behind the build out line can "pressure" (cross the BOL) as soon as the ball is in play. That is...as soon as the keeper releases the ball, including dropping ball to his feet to start to dribble or pass.
    2. In AYSO, an accidental header is "play on" provided there is no injury. If player is injured or you stop play because you think there is an injury, then all dropped ball restarts apply. (including dropping to the keeper)
    3. Deliberately heading the ball is an IFK. (in AYSO). The logic is that it is playing in a dangerous manner. Doing it many times does not count for P.I.

socal lurker repped this.
  3. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    When the goal keeper releases the ball from their hands putting it into play, they can cross to BOL. Granted, a number of players think it's *after* they make the distribution (pass/throw) and still wait for that to occur, but that's not the rule.

Unless there is some local modification adding to the PDI rules, "accidental" heading is not an offense.

No, deliberate heading under USSF for U11 and down is an INDIRECT free kick. I think it's technically considered a form of "dangerous play" IFK, not something like handling which is DFK.

You didn't say under which sanctioning body your games are being played, so there could be some other modifications that govern your games.

4. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    As soon as the keeper releases the ball, it is in play. So opponents are allowed to pressure once the ball is released.

Assuming the ROC is a drop ball for an accidental header, and the accidental header happens in the PA, then it is a drop ball to the keeper. If the keeper picks the ball up, opponents have to retreat behind the BOL.

I can't imagine a ROC making a deliberate header a DFK. I would defer to your ROC.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Why should play stop if there is no injury and no safety offense?

(I don't think the AYSO offense is really PIADM--if it were it would count to PI. I think it is simply a safety rule, and since it a safety rule violation rather than a LOTG violation it doesn't go towards PI. But that's all semantics anyway.)

7. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Because that is a state rule. In Georgia, an accidental heading is an indirect kick for the other team. But in Alabama, as long as there is no injury, it is play on. Also in Georgia, there is no heading at U11 and younger. But in Alabama there is no heading at all small sided youth games. These differences makes me have to think where I am when I do these games.

8. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    It was in an entirely different context, and because of that I'm revising a portion of the statement to make it fit this context. "It always amazes me how hazards and the possible injuries can change when one crosses political boundaries."

voiceoflg repped this.
  9. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I have found that in the games I've done with build out lines, the players knew what was expected of them and there was little I needed to do to manage the build out line rules.

I am curious whether this is typical...

10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    depends. There is a lot of gamesmanship involved BY THE COACHES!

voiceoflg repped this.
  11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else had the experience that all the “no heading” has accomplished is making kids want to Bruce Lee kick the ball at head height? Thus creating more danger.

Barciur and fischietto repped this.
  12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I don't recall a lot of heading at or below U-10. I don't think they get the ball high enough very often, and they tend to shy away from it when they do. Mostly, they try to control it with body or more likely low feet.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The biggest impact of no heading I’ve seen is that by 12U the players are more skilled at playing balls in the air with parts of their body other than their heads. (And once they are permitted to head, the head less and control with the body more.)

voiceoflg repped this.
  14. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    Yes. U12B in a tournament final a couple weeks ago. Kid gets his boot up high and catches an opponent in the face. Yellow card. (At an older age group & a higher skill level I'd have given red for SFP, of course.)

Now that I think about it, it would probably help if our U11-U12 leagues banned punting.

voiceoflg repped this.
  15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Around here when the "no heading" was first implemented, there were a lot more dangerous play calls for high kicks. However, that has gone down considerably and kids are using other parts of their body (like their chests) to control balls in the air.

voiceoflg repped this.
  16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    U11 and below. By mandate, ball hitting the head is considered an injury. It's generally not a bad thing.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically it does say it’s only a stoppage of deliberate. For the most part I call it any time it hits a head but there are instances where play should continue. Technically.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Them that makes the rules can make whatever rules they want . . . but that to me is either just pointless or based on a complete lack of faith in referees. (Which in some places may be warranted . . . my nephews and niece play in a police athletic league that apparently claims to be USSF sanctioned, but uses untrained refs--while they have a no heading rule, players routinely head the ball and referees routinely ignore it. And they don't use a BOL.)

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think he is referring to a local rule, not the USSF mandate. (AYSO is clear that it only applies to deliberate, but of course if there is an injury concern the referee would stop for that, but not automatically.)