Buffalo

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SammyP, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SammyP

SammyP Member

Nov 6, 2006
    OverseasView, fknbuflobo and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They just had a good season. Sad for the players. hoping they will be able to have worthwhile options in spite of the late news. Most squads' rosters are now complete....

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Once again, a harsh reminder that men's college soccer is a welfare sport and that unless it is revenue-neutral, at best, it exists at the generosity of the school and can be ended any time.

It sucks. But there's no right that forces a school to field a money-losing team. It's why I'm always calling out college coaches for not doing more to try and promote and grow the game.

4. dsm_lime

dsm_lime New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    they had just promoted a long-time assistant to head coach, too.

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. dsm_lime

dsm_lime New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    puts the MAC down to five schools, even with WVU as an affiliate.

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some ideas for survival:

Pull KY and maybe even Marshall (may still be bad blood from them leaving) from Conf. USA (would help both with travel).

Of merge with Missouri Valley's 7 teams or Horizon's 10 teams (could do two conferences East/West).

Or maybe target Dayton and/or St. Louis from A-10.

OverseasView repped this.
  7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Dayton and St. Louis are not leaving the A-10 for the MAC anything... A-10 is an upper mid-major basketball conference with multiple bid teams ...

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Obviously WVU has no allegiance to the MAC so they will go where they can be in a conference that gets them a bid. The AAC as a soccer-only member would make sense, as would CUSA.

That would leave Akron and the other 3 MAC soccer programs scrambling. If WVU and Akron approached the AAC or CUSA as a package deal for soccer, I can see that happening and being a win-win for both the programs and the conference.

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect MAC won't survive. I could see WVU and Akron going to same place -likely better conf. (Big East?). As I could see W. Mich and Bowling Green going to same place. Northern IL probably will go somewhere close - Missouri Valley. Or maybe the last 3 all join Horizon and they can have 2 divisions (13 teams) - geographically it works well.

I just hope we don't see any of those schools decide to drop men's soccer too.