Buddle traveling to Germany to sign with FC Ingolstadt [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by HouseHead78, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He got fine service in matches I watched.

His problem was wasting those chances.

But, at least, he's been getting into dangerous positions.

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly agree, making the most of his chances has been his major concern.

3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We got to 1000 posts. Time for a new thread? Let the naming begin

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle, Buddle, Toil and Trouble: Edson @ FC Ingolstadt .

1 person likes this.
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Eh, it's the end of the season.

Let this roll.

Getting back to the club, they're 7 points ahead of the 17th place Rot Weiss Oberhousen, making the straight relegation a virtual impossibility.

FCI does however need to maintain the form to avoid the relegation play-offs, where they are 4 points ahead of the 16th place Osnabrück.

6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No dig at Buddle but, personally, I hope that Osnabruck make up the 4 points. Enochs deserves it.

7. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can have it both ways. If Osnabruck FC leaps over Karlsruhe(only 2 points behind) then they are in the safety zone at 15th. 2.B 17th and 18th go down automatically, 16th goes to a playoff with the third place team in 3rd Liga.

8. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then Luis Robles gets relegated with Karlsruher (correct spelling of the club). I think we are all going to have to come to grips with the fact that one Yank is going to do down.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong about this, but I think Robles was just signed for this season, so if Karlsruher get relegated he'll likely be gone anyway.

10. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you are not quite correct. It is only Karlsruher when SC follows it. Otherwise it is Karlsruhe when it it stands alone. And kicker usually refers to them as KSC.
    As an another example you don't ever see Hamburger written unless SV follows it. Without the SV, it is Hamburg. Like with KSC, HSV is mostly used when referring to the club.

the -(e)r ending has do with the C in SC meaning Club and the V in SV meaning Vereing. Both words are masculine (der Club und der Verein), which leads to the adjective ending of -(e)r.

2 people repped this.
  11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Postcard from Europe: Buddle helping the cause

A snippet:
    "The German league is a bit more physical," he said. "In the US, we have good athletes, but the Germans are more tactically aware in how they play. We just haven't developed as much with tactics. It's what they stress here, in how they build up and defend collectively."
    Of course, he concedes, those German minds are never forced to think the game in the muggy Dallas smolder of mid-August. "It does make a difference," he stated, giving MLS players a degree-of-difficulty point. "You have to manage your body and keep the ball. Maybe their tactics would change [in American summer heat]."

1 person likes this.
  12. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it ended today Osnabruck would be in the playoff to stay up. So if they won that, then all three would stay up.

13. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingolstadt host 2nd place Bochum tomorrow. Buddle tweaked a thigh in practice on Wednesday, so it is questionable whether he will start.
    The article also explains that
    Möhlman likes start Buddle in home games because "dangerous in front of goal and a good distributor." In away game Moritz Hartmann is preferred because he works more in the defense and has a better motor.

http://www.donaukurier.de/sport/fus...cher--Das-Kommen-lohnt-sich-;art19158,2405351

Kickoff is noon eastern.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    "Ein bier. Zwei bier. Und ein bratwurst. Und große Lederhosen für vier Füße".

BTW, my question is this, Why couldn't he go to a store, pick up what he sees and likes and pay for it with either cash or a credit card?

How difficult is that, even if you don't speak the language?

15. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever been to a pharmacy in Japan looking for aspirin? That's some scary shit! "Is this aspirin, or Immodium AD, or estrogen supplements?"

16. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle's on the bench to start the match with Bochum today.

17. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Ingolstadt is in Japan?

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No. But I have been in a German speaking country (Austria) and an Italian speaking country (Italy) having almost no knowledge of either language and got along got enough to buy food, get on the right train, etc.

And that was before the Euros were the singular currency everywhere (Austrian schillings were something like 14 to a $1).

I insist that that is not as difficult for the majority of common household and grocery items.

PS. As to the Japanese - I've been to McDonald's in Hawaii where the Japanese tourists just pointed at the picture of an item and bought it without speaking any English.

19. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be the slightest bit contrary, aspirin is probably not the best example used. You know because of BAYER.

We've been speaking German with that one for some time now. ;)

20. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple things that got me were trying to figure out nutritional info (which could be important to a pro athlete) and for certain items trying to determine which flavor variety I was buying.

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Buddle today. Ingolstadt were up 3-0 after 60 minutes, so there was no reason to push a player out there who was carrying a slight thigh injury.
    The three points pushes Ingolstadt further and further away from the relegation zone. They now have 34 points and are 7 points above 16th place Enochs and Co., who play league leaders Berlin tomorrow on the road.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He probably eats at the club anyway.

That's how most clubs control the proper food mix of their players (unless, after the workout, Edson stops off at a local ice cream parlor)

Huge win for FCI against a promotion hopeful Bochum with only 4 matchdays to go.

Considering Osnabrück averages fewer than a point a game (27 off 29), today's win pretty much guarantees FCI a stay up in BL II.

As the schedule would have it, FCI also hosts Joe Enochs' boys on the last matchday of the season.

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the introduction of the Euro have to do with anything (other than a chance for you to show off your wiki skills by citing the dollar/schilling exchange rate from back in the late 90's)? Edson didn't say he was confused by the prices, he just said there were times he wasn't sure exactly what he was buying.

Back to your first point, I've done the same, but managing your way around a country as a tourist is a different animal to actually living in a place. Looking at my own, rather extensive grocery list, I am quite confident that if I were actually living and doing my shopping in Ingolstadt there are plenty of products that I'd need some help with (ie google translate) to make sure I was getting the right thing (different flavors, nutritional info, etc.).

24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spot checked a few of the recent seasons, and it looks like 37 points, or one more victory, will definitely do it.

the remaining schedule:

@ Union Berlin 4/24
    Erzgebirge Aue 4/30
    @ 1860 Munich 5/08
    VfL Osnabrück 5/15

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team: