Buddle traveling to Germany to sign with FC Ingolstadt [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by HouseHead78, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we allowed to get excited about German grammar and spelling...or is it that we should be prepared to be disappointed by German grammar and spelling?

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested "FrankEdson's Monster Year" in the last thread. Don't know how good it is.

3. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any case, we should have endless discussions about it, hoping that actual football news regarding Edson doesn't get in the way.

Kein Mensch muss müssen.

4. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Just to bring this distraction to an end:
    There hasn't been something like an official German standard spelling for ages, everyone wrote just how he thought it looked good. Luther's bible was very important to start something like a standard German; the brothers Grimm set some standards in the early 19th century. Official German orthography just started in 1901. You can't say "something was written like XY earlier", because there haven't been any official rules how to write anything.

ß vs ss: It's quite simple today.
    Short vowel before the s-sound: ss.
    Long vowel before the s-sound: ß
    "Kuss" like "kiss"
    "Fuß" (foot) like "booze".

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, I know that (except the Germans pronounce it "Zah-shuh".

In its original, Sasha (much like Aleck or Sanya) is a diminutive of Russian Alexander (or Aleksandr) much like Nadia is short for Nadezhda or Tanya is short for Tatyana.

Howdy with an Audi.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edson Buddle transforms into a Monster at Ingolstadt?

[​IMG]

7. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was visiting a friend in Düsseldorf once and asked her jokingly what was this Düssel thing was that has a major European city named after it. Lucky me, it ran right behind her dad's house where we were staying at the time, so she walked me out through the backyard to see it. Much to my naive amazement, it wasn't a massive river...I wouldn't even call it a stream....it was barely a creek. I could've walked through this thing and hardly gotten my ankles wet.

I was rather disillusioned.

I don't think there was a point to this, but...yay, go Buddle, score a hat-trick.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle at Ingolstadt -- No ß or Umlauts to worry about

:D

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wasn't there a reformation of the language in the 60's?

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "No, Doctor, it's Eyengolstadt": Buddle in Germany.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, it's pretty dinky. On the other hand, that place is rather large for being a "Dorf."

12. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There have been more recent ones than that, 1996 being the most recent, I think. Some traditionalists rail against it (Loriot is one of its most famous opponents), but at the same time, they're really advocating adhering to a convention that itself hadn't existed that long, relatively speaking.

13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    To post something Buddle-related - yesterday's results didn't really go Ingolstadt's way. A win against Düsseldorf would be important for them, especially if KSC win their game too.

Although I'd rather see Ingolstadt relegated than any other team in the league too, of course ;). As bland as a club can get.

But it wasn't really as chaotic as this may sound. People based their spelling on what they read themselves, so while their may not have been official spellings in most cases you have common ones. I have read over 200 German language books from the 16th to 19th century in the original printing, probably (very rough estimate) - and while you find some spellings that stand out as really odd from time to time, generally the differences aren't that great between books from the same period (although this is much more true for the late 18th and 19th century - 16th century German can be pretty weird).

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingolstadt are losing 3-1 at Düsseldorf. I turned on a stream just in time to see Buddle be substituted off in the 65th minute. The commentator said Edson had been very disappointing today, especially when compared to last week "when he had been so strong."

15. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Ingolstadt are 1-3 down after an hour at Düsseldorf, Buddle got the start, and just left the field. I've seen something like 1/3 of the game in the simulcast. Buddle didn't look very good today, as far as I can tell. Seemed to be a pretty bad game with lots of sloppy passes. Buddle wasn't involved very much when Ingolstadt tried patient build-up play, and had some bad touches when they tried to counterattack.

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lowenboy, you were right . . .

Please come back . . . .

17. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Turned on the tv to see him substituted, commentator said he didn't do much.

[​IMG]

18. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    He didn't... he tried to involve himself in the attack a couple of times but he just wasn't able to linkup very well. He had one or two reallllly bad touches especially one where Cauiby played him inside where he should have had a nice scoring opportunity but couldn't hang on to it... oh well for those of us who have followed Buddle these past several years we are aware he can pull out games like this every once in a while.

19. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    ^^^ The Big Soccer expectations just got to be too much. :p Hopefully he comes back strong in the next game. Unlike some other YAs looking for a game, if things don't get better he will be playing in a 3rd Division.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, if that's his team's level, that's where he'll play.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He got a "5", which, from game transcripts, is what he deserved.

22. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I watched the entire match... it was deserved. He simply didn't play very well and it wasn't for a lack of service.

23. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone has a stinker every now and then. He just needs to put his head down and make sure this doesn't happen again.

24. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sucks, just plain terrible. He needs to see if he can earn playing time with the 5th division team that Adu was going to be sent to.:eek:

25. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

???????

What's up with that?