Buddle arrested for OVI

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by futballpunk, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure he wasn't rooming with Matt Kmosko? Didn't that guy have two DUI's before he mysteriously disappeared at the end of one season?

Other than Franklin County records, has there been any official statement from the news media or Crew front office?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could say "Well, i'm not driving this motorcycle, i'm riding it, so you can't arrest me for DUI."

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's the quote in the first post
    "Edson Buddle was arrested for OVI, fail to comply, reckless operation, unnecessary horn and a one-way violation"

I don't empathize with this idiot. This isn't some "harmless" two block trip from a party to his house. The idiot was drunk, driving recklessly, the wrong way on a one way street, at night. And apparently honked his horn unneccesarily (who knows when that happened though). That is specifically the type of drunk driving that results in innocent people being killed.

4. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    i don't empathize with him either, but i'm not going to jump on a bandwagon either way and defend or chastise him. he did something wrong, hopefully he'll face the music and not repeat it.

and hopefully he has to get rides to practices and games now. that would be quite a slice of humble pie.

5. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The good news is there was no serious accident or anyone injured. Plenty of athletes have been involved in much worse.

I'm not making excuses for Buddle as he has to take responsibility for his behavior. If the events described in the police report are accurate he should suffer significant public embarassment. Hopefully that will lead him to realize the error of his ways and correct his behavior.

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A little late there... :D

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've always liked Edson as a player and he seems like a nice kid who didn't have the greatest set of advice-givers when he was younger. (I mean, how does a player of his caliber start there college career at a JuCo then after a semester play in the A-League?)

But, I'm sorry, it looks like this is not an isolated incident. The guy has had other issues with the local constabulary. This is just the first time we heard about it. Not paying your condo dues? Please. Grow up. You're a pro athlete. Sure, you ain't livin' large, but if you can't afford the damn dues, live somewhere else.

Basically, it looks like he just has a pattern of making really bad choices. Hopefully this represents rock bottom and he realizes if he doesn't get his $hi+ together he'll be back at the RoughRiders.

Because, rest-assured, MLS will not look casually at this. The league struggles to get pub as it is, it can't afford to have the pub it does get be negative and this WILL be news, even with a pro-team reporter like CBC. And, if we've learned what we've learned about Edson ON LINE I'm guessing the local media might be able to did up that this ain't an isolated incident and that's not gonna make the league or team look good. MLS markets itself too heavily to families to risk having someone getting in trouble with the law for what we'll call an unfamily friendly offense.

So, if he's lucky, he'll only get suspended by the team and put on double secret probation. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if MLS - remember, this is still Single Entity - just cuts him loose altogether and no other team picks him up, at least for the rest of this year.

But maybe that will represent the rock bottom that Edson needs to hit to start the climb back towards realizing the vast potential we all know he has.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but in his defense (and I only offer this half-heartedly) the condo fees in that community are highway robbery. My wife lived down the street from him before we got married in 2002 (but, if he lived there then we didn't know it).
    [edit - scratch that; he's moved since the condo-fee problem, and his current address is right down the street from my wife's old place]

I doubt they cut him loose, but he should be disciplined, and I hope the club attempts to keep it quiet. Suspend him for a few games - they could easily pass it off as recovering from his achilles injury.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    High or not, that's no excuse. I'm sure he knew what they were when he moved in. My first house was a condo. Agreeing to pay the monthly fees was one of the documents you we signed at closing. It's also something your bank wants to know before they give you a mortgage because they factor that into whether they feel you can afford the place.

The point is, no one forced him to live there. He agreed to live where he did and in doing so, agreed to pay the condo dues. It's not like these were sprung on him after the fact.

Um, no.

First off, this gonna go public so they have to send a public message to the fans that they are treating this seriously and don't let it go unpunished. Second, they have to send a message to the other players about the ramifications for this type of thing.

Any punishment will be made public.

One thing that may save Edson's job is the new CBA. We don't know what the process has been agreed to for penalties for off field behavior. At the same time, there are probably clauses in the contract requiring him to stay out of trouble with the law and that may justify the team/league letting him go.

11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nothing is coming out about this in the Dispatch. Edson isn't an OSU football player and the Dispatch doesn't have anyone stationed at the court house looking for Crew players.

12. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Apparently nobody's from the front office has faxed CBC anything yet, so he's in limbo about how to go forward with a story.

I'm too lazy to look up his records -- anybody see anything suspicious between October 24th and October 30th of last year? Like "Menacing a Head Coach about lineup decisions"...which I don't believe is a felony.

Honestly, the Crew needs to suspend him for multiple games, require him to attend AA or something along those lines, do some public service announcements or appearances at schools, and apologize publicly...and actually sound like he means it.

Not a good day for squad or player. At least he didn't hurt/damage others in the process of his stupidity.

13. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    We've got the signs already being made for the Saturday game in San Jose :D

14. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about fvckin' time.

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He's wouldn't play regardless of this event, so no need to waste time making signs.

16. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

The signs say "If we weren't so busy packing for Houston we'd make fun of Buddle".

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we're just not talking about the soccer Rough Riders. (DMX, broke, no career, thug life, Ruff Ryders,NY?)

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THIS is class.

It'll be interesting to see how MLS plays this. If they are going to keep insisting that they're "Major League" then they have to act like it, and any other league would certainly take some harsh measures. They'd rather you took steroids or stole a car than drive drunk: as Sandon rightly points out, we're marketing to families here.

The CBC issue is very interesting too: no professional or Div 1 athlete can slide under the radar on this kind of thing. A second string linebacker or backup point guard at OSU would get ink for this kind of transgression. Will The Dispatch do less for the Crew?

Just an interesting barometer on where we stand, IMO.

McCullers did about get thrown into the deep end here, didn't he?

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I can't empathize with it at all. I wouldn't care if a$$holes who drive drunk were only a danger to themselves, but that is not the case.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was he doing at 16th and Pearl? The only two things I can think of he'd be shopping for down there are both illegal.

21. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look on the bright side. maybe he was on his way to buy some crack when he got pulled over, thus saving him from further embarassment.

;)

this bud's for you, edson.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, I'm on your side on this one. Just know that for the condo I own now, I pay $400/month more than when I bought the place (new) in 2002. (Mine's mostly tax increases reflected in the escrow, but the condo fee has gone up 33% as well...)

It's no excuse, but I see how it might happen. Sucking up an additional $400/mo hasn't been easy for me.

I agree it's serious, but I *don't* think it'll go public. Matt Freakin' Kmosko had a serious (way the hell more than once) DUI problem and it NEVER made the press. Sure, he ended up being cut, but the general public never knew about it.

It's a gamble, but I bet the Crew decide to try and bury this. They can keep it quiet while still disciplining the player, and sending a message to the rest of the players. Now, if they cover it up and it breaks in the media, then they've made a huge mistake, but I bet they are willing to take that chance.

23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    How will they cover it up? Surely that would require collusion by someone like Craig Merz, who you know has already seen this thread. Or are you saying the story might get reported, but not have enough legs to take off.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying Matt Kmosko got busted twice times for OVI, speeding both times, driving on an expired license the 2nd, and we never heard about it until somebody on BigSoccer happened to do a search for him the next season when he got busted for driving on a suspended license. All three events happened in less than a 12 month period, and it NEVER made the papers.

I'm saying it's likely the story will never be reported, but not that it's "collusion". The Crew just won't say anything about it, and I bet the media never runs a story.

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh - on Kmosko's 2nd OVI, he was bailed out by Debrito.