Buckle Up, It's Yanks Abroad (2011/12 Edition v2)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I came across a news report that says Joe Connor of Stockport County was born in the U.S., but that doesn't seem to be backed up by any other source. Just logging at this point I suppose. He did play college and some pro ball here however.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Logging for now:

Mikhail Doholis plans to walk with his 2012 class at Union High's graduation ceremony June 11, ending what has been anything but a typical high school experience for the teenager.

For starters, Doholis will drive from Corvallis for graduation, as he's just about two quarters into his freshman year at Oregon State University. It's not the first time he's been far from home during his high school career. Doholis spent part of his junior year in Florida participating in a residency program with the United States' under-17 soccer team.

It's all a means to an end. The dynamic, goal-scoring forward sees himself someday playing professional soccer in Europe.​

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2012/05/unions_mikhail_doholis_will_wa.html

3. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like he is doing well over seas. Too bad he never got a real shot at making his mark within the States.

Irvin Raul Para at Homburg

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a player at Tindastoll in Iceland named Max Touloute. I know that he was born in Haiti, but he at least went to high school in the US and attended IPFW for 4 years. His 1st professional contract was also in the US with the Wichita Wings.
    I wanted to get the name out there in case anyone knows whether he ever attained American citizenship during his time here and thus should be included as a YA.

Also Tindastoll is a club we sould keep an eye on. In addition to Touloute they have at least 4 other players who attended American universities. All are English, but obviously the club has a willingness to sign players from the American college system.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Update on the three Yanks at Ulm -

Zach Olow - Poway High School, UC Irvine (2 years) - started at defender all but a few games when he was out due to an ankle injury and is being carried forward to next season.
    Ryan Nezarez - Poway High School, Chico State - played in one game, then returned to Chico State for the Spring Semester.
    Adam Tschannen - Humboldt State - played in one game, not on the current roster.

Ulm won their 5th division league (Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg) and will be promoted to 4th division Regionaliga SW next season.

Those three players came through a local tryout for college-age players set up by a former Ulm player and Humboldt State alum now returned for grad school, sponsored by Poway Vaqueros youth club. Five players were selected for a tryout in Ulm. Four of them were offered student-visa amateur roster spots, one of whom chose to return to college.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Newly minted college coach Meir Lewin apparently played for a while in Israel:

After spending the 2005-06 academic year at George Mason University playing Division I collegiate soccer, Meir Lewin moved to Israel to play professionally for Hapoel Herzilya and pursue and undergraduate degree from Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya. In four seasons, Lewin made 72 strarts in 79 games for Hapoel Herzilya, serving as a team captain, helping the club gain league promotion, and earning "Top XI" league all-star honors in 2009 and 2010. ​

http://washingtoncollegesports.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20120709wgbtvt

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Evidently a Yank named Per Henrikson, who was a college coach last fall, will now become a coach in India:

In an inspirational signing for Indian club football, which has long struggled to make its presence, American International Goal Keeper Coach Per Henrikson signs up with i-League Premier club Prayag United SC.

http://www.indianfootballnetwork.co...n-american-goalkeepering-coach-per-henrikson/

Amazingly perhaps,

In 1993, Henrikson played for Lahore WAPDA FC, becoming the only United States citizen to play professionally in Pakistan.​

http://www.careyathletics.com/roster/10/3/978.php

9. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonio Matarazzo will be attending Columbia University in the Fall.

10. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the new one is up, I'll unsticky this one.