BU, Northwestern, Oberlin, Carnegie-Melon

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by metro24freak, Jul 18, 2005.

1. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    anyone go to one and if so did you like it

2. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    You like chicks?

Hot, sexy, hairy-legged, bushy armpitted, rotund, patchuli-wearing, Indigo-Girl-loving, handsome chicks?

Go to Oberlin.

3. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    i'm a girl so if the other girls don't shave and dress weird it just makes my life easier when it comes to boys

4. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I know you're a girl.

If you were a boy, I would have simply said...

You like chicks?

Don't go to Oberlin.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you plan on studying?

6. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    music and public policy or international relations, i know some of the schools have better programs in the two than others but all the ones i mentioned have great music programs

7. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    just how much of a city girl are you? might want to take that into consideration?

8. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    On straight overall academic reputation I would lean heavily to Northwestern unless science is your thing in which case Carnagie-Mellon wins.

9. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Of the three large schools, it's easily Northwestern, unless like HeadHunter said, you're planning on a medical or scientific career. It's very good musically and academically, and you have access to Chicago. (disclosure: I went to NU).

From what I know of BU, it sounds like a mess, I've never talked to anyone who likes teaching there (I've talked to 4 or 5 people who were, to be honest, all interviewing for other jobs), and it has the price of a private school for the class sizes of a public school. Seems like a waste of money to me, but I think the same of NYU.

If you decide you do best in small classes and want a lot of interaction with professors beyond your music courses (which will be pretty individualized wherever you go), Oberlin is one of the best liberal arts schools in the country. It probably doesn't have IR or public policy programs, but you can get the same tools studying Poly Sci or sociology or economics.

One last piece of advice. Visit, visit, visit. Get away from your parents at each school and figure out which one provides what you want. Sit in on classes. Talk to students other than the relentlessly cheery tour guides, especially those studying your instrument.

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    From what I've heard:

BU has tons of red tape, and as someone said earlier, is like a public school with private school price. I had a friend who had a decision between BU and Amherst College, he went to Amherst.

Northwestern is a kind of preppy, Abercrombie kids type school. Also, it's right on the lake, meaning very cold winters.

I've actually considered Oberlin myself, and I'm sure it's different, based on what I've heard, from those first two.

Carnegie-Mellon is probably the best name out of the bunch, and always looks good on a resume. But it's also a science school, and I know you're really into music.

11. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Carnegie Melon sounded strange to me when I first heard it because I'd heard about it mostly for science (my cousin's fiance went there for engineering) but the music program is supposed to be really good too. The former flutist of the new york philharmonic teaches there now so that's why I'm considering it. And my aunt and uncle live in pittsburg so when I have no money I can still get food.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    The school I teach at is starting a conservatory this year and one of the most common dual majors they expect are science/instrument degrees. It seems that a lot of the musicians who have applied and been accepted have also indicated a great deal of interest in and aptitude for the hard sciences. That could be a completely skewed sample, since the class is small, but I thought it was interesting.

If I had to describe Northwestern's student body when I was there 10+ years ago, I'd say 1/4 preppy Greeks, 1/4 Chicago hipster wannabes, and then a great in between. Those first two groups didn't exactly socialize, though.

Oh, and winter's not that cold at Northwestern (and plus, it's a challenge to see how seldom you can leave a dorm when it's -20 out), but then again, you're from San Antonio, so anything below 40 is cold. ;)

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you want to do music, CM and BU offer very little, and Oberlin's in the middle of nowhere. Go to Northwestern.

...I feel so dirty after having said that (I went to the University of Chicago).

14. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    CM and BU have great music schools. The former principle flute of the new york philarmonic is at CM and BU has faculty in the Boston Symphony

I'm visiting Oberlin in august but everyone's told me it's like someone just decided to put a college in the middle of a cornfield

15. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    It's probably too late now, but the middle of summer is a really bad time to visit schools, especially a place like Oberlin which will be essentially deserted (or taken over by summer campers). You get no sense of what the school is really like and whether you would like to be there if you can't talk to current students and sit in on classes.

Visiting in the summer becomes little more than a sightseeing tour of what the dorms, library, and gym look like, which should be low priority in terms of where you decide to go to school. It plays into the worst kind of "education as a consumer activity" thinking.

16. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    We're going on the 26th so there should be someone around since classes should be starting soon i guess

17. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    You guess?

Y'know, they have this thing on computers called the internet.

I went to Google, typed in "Oberlin" and found this in less than half-a-dozen clicks -- and this was with taking a wrong turn.

I'd agree with needs. Postpone the trip for at least a couple of weeks.

18. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    the thing's already scheduled, my mom already got plane tickets and a hotel room. I'll be there next month and again when I go to audition and if then I'm walking around and decide i hate it I'll just blow the audition

19. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    So you're making two visits then?

If so, then new data demands a different conclusion. Good job, and enjoy the visit.

20. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I agree with everything that's been said about BU. Granted I only did a half-day visit, but it seemed very much like a public school trying to parade as a private one. Big public schools like Berkeley, Michigan, and Wisconsin have more to offer at a cheaper price. As far as Northwestern goes, I have a friend in the journalism school there, and she absolutely loves it.

21. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    What a great set of options. I still have one more yr. at Pitt, but I've been writing for CMU's paper since my soph year. So I cant tell you that, CMU is a great campus, has amazing teachers (sat in for a class) and is a school you can't go wrong with. Not to mention you'll have some incrediablly birght classmates all around you. This alone might be worth its pricey tuition. As for International Relations or Public Policy, I really wouldn't know, but thieir artistic programs are supposedly quality stuff. I had friends who were in the theatre and they loved it.

I don't know what exactly you want to get out of the music part of your college years, but if its performances, teaching, concerts, CMU shouldn't be too shaby. Make sure to ask professors/students milling around, for recomendatinos. If they're busy, they'll blow you off. But if you go to them in a frank and sincere manner, they'll give you thier impressions. Especially the ones taking a cigarette-breaks. Good luck on your search.

22. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    This should be echoed. You're a long way from your choice (and even from applying) but with those options, you can't make a bad choice. One thing you should think about is how much close interaction you want with your professors in your non-music classes. If you're fine largely sitting in lectures your first couple years, then NU and CMU will work great for you, excellent professors, etc.

If you want more chance to discuss course material with the professors (in class and out), you should give Oberlin a very serious look. I know several people who teach there in history and they're all very good young professors. And you would be in classes of 15 to 20 versus 250 to 300. I personally think small liberal arts colleges are the best educational experience if you're going to spend the kind of money you're talking about with all of these schools. You just get much more attention paid to your education by your professors. Socially, it may be a different story, and that's one of the decisions you'll have to make.

23. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Insightful comments, needs.

One consideration: I'm not sure how you arrived at your list, Metro, but you might look at some of the Honors programs offered by other Big Ten schools (University of Minnesota :)). I know that the Honors program in the College of Liberal Arts here promises small classes, more access to faculty, invitations to special lectures, guests, events, etc., but you also get the experience of a large university. My observation as a grad student is that the undergrads in the program really seem to like it. Just a thought.

BTW, no reason to tank an audition. A bird in the hand is worth...well, you can never have too many options.