Alert: BS Best Offensive Midfielder of the Year 2010

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Perú FC, Dec 9, 2010.

1. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Not surprised you concede when your ridiculous claims can not be backed up by any intelligent discourse. Predictably, you have made fallacious remarks and were unable to explain them in any logical manner, besides the 'look at the stats' argument. And even others started wondering how you could make such remarks while claiming to watch the actual matches. You have still failed at giving specific examples to your original statement that the player in question was unproductive, which i didnt expect you to respond to.

The bottom line is I have no problems disagreeing with posters on the player. But when you come up with such off the wall remarks with such arrogance, dont expect not to be exposed for it.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm sorry, conceding is what you did twice in the other thread when you ran away with your tail between your legs after demonstrating a complete inability to even understand basic numbers. Given though that you are still so keen to continue the discussion I can't but help to return.

Your favourite colour is blue. Your lucky number is 7. It's fun this game of making unsubstantiated statements about people you've never met isn't it?

Let me make another sweeping statement about you. If you'd read it James Joyce's Ulysses would be your favourite book, because you think it makes you look clever.

Yawn. Yet again, I've never actually said this. Iniesta is superior to Lampard at dribbling and his subtle touches around the pitch. I have never actually disputed that.

I have also never said that Lampard was a "defensive juggernaut", merely that he contributes more defensively than (if I remember correctly) about 95% of the attacking midfielders in my previous list. Given that the list was primarily made up of the players like Maradona and Platini, that is in no way a stretch.

Xavi also opens up the defence (and is better at it than Iniesta), but he does it through his passing. Every pass that Xavi makes has a purpose, it helps to push and pull the defence around which in turn opens up space for more forward thinking players.

Equally I am fully aware of what a player like Iniesta does to help open defences. You seem to think that you are unique in perceiving this. I am fully aware of what he does. The questions that are being debated here is the relaltive worth of these touches and the frequency with which they ultimately contribute to victories.

For instance while you seem you think that I am some sort of robot who merely computes statistics to form a ratings basis. Of course, as with most of the stuff that you invent, it is completely incorrect. Lampard (given that you appear obsessed with my rating of him) actually had a better season in 2008-9 than 2009-10 despite scoring and assisting more in the latter because of the way that he carried Chelsea through his playmaking.

I didn't insinuate anything. You clearly don't even know what insinuate actually means.

It's pretty obvious, even for you, that I wasn't trying to imply that it was the only good bit of play that he had ever made which didn't either result in a goal scored by himself or a direct assist.

Perhaps I'm being harsh on you here and English isn't your first language?

Perhaps I've been giving you too much credit here. You do understand the rules of the game of football don't you? You are aware that to win a game you must score more goals than the opposition?

The whole point of that discussion was that for all his nice football, too often Zidane did not contribute a decisive moment to the game. Therefore too often his teams failed to win games that they would have won had Zidane scored or created a goal. His play in that single game was not the subject at question, it was being used as an example of where he made a crucial intervention when too often he played well like against Brazil but didn't provide any end product.

A claim that many posters disagreed with my points in this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...t=comme&page=5

In reality not a single one of this fictional multitude were moved to pipe up.

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Your passive-agrressive bull**** does nothing but further exposes your ignorance and inability to discuss maturely. You are to be pitied and seriously need anger management.

Once again, you fail at giving specific examples to your original statement, and resort to nothing but outlandish opinions and immature personal attacks. I knew you were unable to back up your ridiculous claim of the player being unproductive because you truly do not watch the matches. Your only trite argument is to make assertions off of the stats you obsess over. It fools no one.

And for your english lesson, insinuate means to 'suggest or hint' at something. Foolishly typing that is 'one instance' suggests you think it was a singular moment. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insinuate

And if you are going to post a link then make sure it works. I have no idea what thread you have posted.

For now, I am done with this conversation, as you have made it abundantly clear that you are unable to discuss properly. It's obvious that you are on some ego trip and have now gotten your panties in a bunch because a poster has exposed your lack of understanding of key principles on the game. When you learn to discuss maturely and post with intelligent, credible arguments then a proper discussion can be had.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can virtually see the tears streaming down your face as you write this.

I know you seem to think that I don't watch these matches, but I am certain you do not read my posts. I've got an inkling now that you are in fact some sort of badly programmed automatic response system. Your default message must include the words "stats" and "obsessed" or the system goes into melt down.

Conveniently you omitted the crucial word in the definition, "slyly". You think that I was slyly suggesting this?

You honestly believe that I thought that was the only good bit of play that Iniesta had performed which didn't end up on the stat sheet?

It was posted for you before. You came up with an excuse then, I don't expect any more from you.

Honestly, after your previous message I got the feeling you wanted to discuss this further. Not crumble at the first hurdle.

If you really are giving up this time then so be it, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. But don't come back in a week's time starting arguments about Lampard and Iniesta yet again, because I won't be responding to the same tired, poorly constructed arguments once again.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can't edit that post now, so just wanted to post a follow up.

I was being too harsh there. I am happy to discuss civilly with almost every poster on this website, but you rub me up the wrong way. From now on, I'm simply going to ignore any post you make that isn't in either of the forums I moderate. Best way forward.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    There is no way Iniesta was the third best player for Barca last season. Alves, Pique, hell even Valdes, who had a very good season but is underrated, contributed more to Barca winning. Iniesta was injured for large parts of the season yet Barca won games easily without him.

I'd say Messi is a better passer as well. He already has more assists than last season and he was second in La Liga in assists. I also read one stat that he played the most through balls last season in La Liga. Xavi had 14 assists last season leading La Liga. Messi already has 11 and it's not even half the season yet.

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    The final results counting only votes of registered users:

1. XAVI (Spain & Barcelona) - 33
    2. SNEIJDER, Wesley (Netherlands & Inter Milan) - 31
    3. INIESTA (Spain & Barcelona) - 17
    4. SCHWEINSTEIGER, Bastian (Germany & Bayern Münich) - 11
    5. ÖZIL, Mesut (Germany & Werder Bremen, Real Madrid) - 10