Bryan Lopez in Paraguay?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 31, 2007.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dan-ny-m398, you still around?

I was looking up another player, and noticed a goalie called "Brayan Styven López Yepes" on the roster, or what seems to be the roster, of Atletico Bucaramanga in Colombia.

Same guy? Any update?

2. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

NO he is not the same guy, Bryan Lopez is still the 3rd goalie in Luque. I'm working with a friend of mine to have luque loan him out for at least 1 year because they will not release him out of the 2 years left on his contract. Hopefully he will be playing somewhere else next year.

3. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    This is a video a friend of Bryan made for him, the music is pretty corny but you'll ge the idea most of the clips are from the 2008 and since they don't tape the games from the reserves it was taken from the few tapes that he had from first division games.

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbgmgv_bryan-lopez_sport"]Dailymotion - bryan lopez - un vídeo de Deporte & Extremo@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xbgmgv@@AMEPARAM@@xbgmgv[/ame]

4. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good video. This is pretty sad on the clubs part. Young players need to play. What type of season is played in Paraguay. Bryan should try a loan to the new NASL. They don't do allocation therefore he could play. I'm currently exchanging here at City from Rochester, NY. I know the sporting director from the Rochester Rhinos. At Bryan's request we could try and work things out.

If your interested in getting a number or setting up a tele-conference pm me your email. It's probably best if we keep names and numbers out of BigSoccer.

5. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey dan-ny, Cerro Porteno's president's son was a very good friend of mine in college. Would you mind giving me a quick rundown of the league there just so I can keep tabs just a little bit? I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, just compared to MLS, how would you rate that league? Thanks in advance.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting.... subscribed.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dan-ny-m398, PM me your box is full. But I may have some help for this kid in south america. A long shot but let me know.

9. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Last time, I spoke to Bryan he was playing at Fernando the la Mora a second division team , he was sent there by his team on a loan bases, he said he was just going to go there get playing time and just wait for his Contract to end(I think it expires this june) and then he will just come back to NY to start his career over after all he is only 21 years old.

10. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I talked to Bryan yesterday and he is back in Luque he came late into the preseason and he is practicing with the first division team.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Testudo repped this.
  12. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

Yes, I talked to him a few weeks ago, he was finally able to get out of Sportivo Luquenio and he is trying to get his career back on track in a second division team, he told me he was going to another team also in second division.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #38 Sandon Mibut, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    As in President Rutherford B. Hayes?

Shit, we don't even name stuff for that guy in this country and he was OUR President.

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me and I googled Rutherford Hayes and Paraguay and he's apparently revered down there because he settled a land dispute with Argentina and as such there are many things named for Hayes in Paraguay. Who knew?

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/article/Rutherford-B-Hayes-is-a-hero-in-Paraguay-1300197.php

So apparently it makes perfect sense for a Yank to play for a team named after Hayes! How much sense? Consider this from the above link: The Presidente Hayes soccer club in Asuncion -- nicknamed "Los Yanquis" Boom. Mind. Blown.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's probably because of his decision to name Horace Maynard to the office of Postmaster General back in 1880. Hoo boy! Those were the days...

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find, Sandon.

[​IMG]

Rutherfraud B. Hayes. No kidding.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There have been some esoteric and obscure references on BS over the years but that's gotta be a contender for most obscure ever.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, there is tall South American goalies but they are usually not as good as the shorter ones. Now the Germans, I can't think of a good goalie that is not at least 6'3, I think all of their goalies in recent memory have been 6'4.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd rate the Copa TIGO (Paraguayan first division) as the #5 league in S. America, after Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Ecuador. Barely under Serie A (Ecuador) and slightly over the Campeonato Nacional Petrobras (Chile). As a point of reference, I consider those three leagues about even with the Segunda (Spain's second tier), between Liga MX and MLS.

The Copa TIGO is a bit top heavy, with Olimpia, Cerro Porteño, Guarani and Libertad (a team I enjoy watching a lot, great at short-passing) as the only teams that really count in international competition. Although Olimpia has fallen badly in the last season in the league.

Their second division, no idea. But, in general, in South America, second divisions have a large spread, with the top teams overlapping the weaker first division sides, while the weakest ones playing some dreadful footie.

However, I must note Presidente Hayes is a Primera B team, which means it's the THIRD tier of Paraguayan football, not the second (the second is the Division Intermedia), so their level must be quite weak. We're talking NASL and probably even below here.

19. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always tell th
    From what I know about the league, which is all based on my wife's whole family living in PY and working/playing for various clubs, your not far off. However, the fact that the league only has 12 teams keeps it from being farcically top heavy - I'd say the bottom few teams would struggle in Liga MX and MLS. If any player shows any quality on a club not in the top 4 or 5 they are quickly sold to either one of those clubs or abroad simply down to economics as the country is very very poor. Which makes me wonder how this kid can make a living playing there in the third division; he can't be making more than a few hundred dollars a month.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    probably living with family?

21. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    #46 Dan-ny-m398, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

THere are many things named after President Rutherford Hayes in Paraguay, the "state" with the biggest land mass in the country is named after him, "Villa Hayes" He helped when Paraguay was about to be divided by Brazil and Argentina after the Triple aliance war.

Brian Moved to San Lorenzo this season coming up, that's intermedia aka second division.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods: please delete