Bjorn Johnsen at Ulsan Hyundai (S. Korea)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Dec 29, 2012.

1. cj19

cj19 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Can anyone shed light on why stadiums are so empty? How do they afford to pay players?

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters we don't know how much these guys get paid and if when they do their checks clear. But I assume the sponsors are where the team gets most of its revenue along with a bit of TV money, the rights of which sold either by the team or the league as a whole then distributed to the teams.

As for why the stadiums are empty I couldn't tell you as my knowledge of soccer in Bulgaria consist of knowing they kicked ass in 1994, all the players on that team had last names ending in "ov" (just a random fact I happen to remember seeing somewhere about 15 years ago), and Hristo Stoichkov. Perhaps the people would rather stay at home and watch the more popular leagues but I can't say that with much confidence.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of it is the economy, many simply can't afford to go to games and part of it is a number of the clubs are in pretty small cities, a few in villages which are more akin to farming communities.

Attendance is pretty poor league wide. However, when a club like Ludogorets plays in UCL in Sofia, they draw 30-40K. But that's more due to the city rallying behind them as Ludogorets isn't based on Sofia but a smaller city about a 5hr drive away.

The league game which draws good crowds are Levski vs CSKA, rivals in the capital.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  4. cj19

cj19 Member

Apr 21, 2014

Thanks this helps me understand the situation a little better

5. paceto

paceto Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In small towns there is a high unemployment and people move to big cities to seek work. Payment of players comes from TV rights, revenues from the sale of players and Litex are number one in this respect in Bulgaria. Participation in European club competitions also helps players' wages, but a large percentage of wages comes from the owner Grisha Ganchev. So it is with the other big teams in Bulgaria CSKA Sofia Levski Sofia and Ludogorets, who are still novices in an elite group.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually sad to see up close which I have. Those in villages and small cities move to the big cities for work, like Sofia, Plovdiv, Vratsa(I hate that city), Varna, but then those in the big cities are moving abroad for work. A recent graduating class from a major med school is Sofia saw all 300 newly crowned doctors move abroad, many to Germany.

The Bulgarian population is shrinking and being replaced by gypsies, a whole other conversation.

7. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    That's not good

8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha you made me look that up. With one exception every name ended in "ov" or "ev"

9. paceto

paceto Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Unfortunately, you're right.

Johnsen with first goal for Litex

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goal is at the 0:20 mark.

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another goal today

Testudo repped this.
  13. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And again!!

Two quick goals have moved Litex from 2-1 down to 3-2 up

This is against the league leaders and might play a huge role in getting Litex into Europa qualifiers

Testudo, LouisZ, Mario Balotelli and 2 others repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Maars Bars!

Gorky repped this.
  15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat Trick!

Testudo and BostonRed repped this.
  16. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has 5 goals in last six games and is the second leading scorer in the "Championship group" phase of the Bulgarian league. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a look in the European friendlies. It seemingly took him a few games to adapt to this level but he's shown he can score everywhere he's been in the past few years.

Tom Collingsworth and Sup Bro repped this.
  17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I doubt he gets a look from Jurgen tbh since he is in the Bulgarian league I would be OK with it but not sure Klinsi would give him a chance

18. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 6'5 Norwegian-African-American guy with a flat top is bagging goals against the Bulgarian champs. This after proving his worth in Scandinavian and Portuguese lower division teams. He's gotta be one of the most interesting YA story lines to follow.

I'd like to see him get a call up just because I'm curious about the guy.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Miguel Ibarra can get regular call-ups............why couldn't BMJ??? I have no problem with Ibarra's inclusion aNd I wouldn't seeing BMJ at least getting a look and see in camp.

socal23 repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see him get called up. Probably more deserving than any current forward who hasn't been called outside maybe Wooten, but Bjorn is playing better now.

And a hat trick against Ludogorets is quite impressive. Anyone who watched them in UCL saw it's a pretty decent club internationally. Wish he was playing for Levski but unfortunately at the moment, that's a slight step down.

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deuteronomy, Testudo, MLSFan123 and 4 others repped this.
  22. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yea he missed a sitter and another couple good chances.

LouisZ repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Completely agree.

Definitely. Particularly impressive is at minute 1:13 in the highlights, when he dribbles through the defense before dragging his shot wide of the far post.

25. Calvin93

Calvin93 New Member

May 24, 2015
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Bulgarian and fan of Litex can say that Johnsen is doing it great. Sadly there is rumors that Litex Lovex will marge with CSKA Sofia, who are in huge debt. Our cuntry have sick rules and now a great teal like Litex could be destroyed to can CSKA maintain their position in A group. Funny, Juventus and Rangers couldn't run away from relegate, but our CSKA can. Don't know what will happend with the players of Litex, will they remain in the new CSKA or will go for new challenge. I really hope this really wont happend as Litex have great team and will paly in Europa League...but well...corruption is over football in my home country...