Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dcc134, Aug 4, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    umm

let us think for a second about this one (all that needs to be done)

hmmm

so... his mommy is almost here the 6 years it takes to become a citizen and freddy is a damn good player... very promising... hmm, i wonder why someone might say that they were working on the freddy citizenship thing

OHHHHHH

damn, i so stupid... his mommy is almost there, she gets hers and that means he gets his... so by someone saying they are working on it (and it being so near)... they appease all those people that want him to have it and reassure them that it is coming

does anyone need explained to them again?

i had to sit down... it was hard to understand

i confused myself

oh yeah, because someone said they were working on it... that means that they are working on it illegally... damn, i knew that... :rolleyes:

2. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The problem is that if you put your application in there, without someone to check on it, you may never hear it for your lifetime. That's how Chris Gbandi got hurt on his application. It was on someone's desk until he passed his 17th birthday. Then it went his US U-17 WC spot. If he can play in 1999 U-20 World Cup, he may turn PRO at that time with the aim to make WC 2002 team.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    OKAY, you guys are starting to get on my nerves

for the slow: and for the zillionth time:
    If you need to read it a couple of times to sink in, I beg of you to do so.

I NEVER SAID THAT ANYONE WOULD BE WORKING ILLEGALLY TO HELP THIS KID BECOME A CITIZEN.

What I said, in my original post, was that money influences or opens doors or some crap about money being what makes the world go round. How anyone can disagree with that, I don't know.

What some of you, it seems, have inferred is quite different from what I was saying, so I have tried to clear it up.

Supposedly this guy is pretty talented. There are all sorts of people who would like to see him get his citizenship, who might be able to make a phone call here or there. It MIGHT, MIGHT, MIGHT, help. But the Adu family certainly has many more people concerned about the process, making sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed than an ordinary, talentless immigrant.

News effing Flash: You CAN influence, or speed up the citizenship process BY LEGAL MEANS!!!If you don't believe me, ask David Régis. In fact, MONSTER himself said that Régis' wife was suspiciously given a job which would allow his citizenship process to be expedited.

I've had to sit down out of sheer exasperation.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You so funny.

Still haven't heard your answer as to why this vaunted influence has never paid off before. Or why it hasn't gotten the job done yet.

Still waiting (I'll take a seat because I'm sure it will be a while).

As far as the Regis thing, they didn't influence. They found a loophole. Influencing requires someone on the other end of the transaction to change their perception. He wasn't even presented for citizenship until all that stuff went down. So how did they "influence" something that hadn't happened before and met all the merits of the law?

Forgive me for presenting real-life examples while you only speak in hypotheticals. Money can make things happen. But there is no precedent for US Soccer in using its influence in getting citizenship matters taken care of.

5. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    You are way, way off base here.

First of all, the level of pressure on American soccer players is nothing like the level of pressure on Argentinean soccer players. The 2002 World Cup showed that very well. The Argies played like they had the weight of a country on their shoulders, while Bruce laughed at the foreign press for even suggesting there was any pressure on the US. Landon Donovan has preferred to play in MLS precisely because there isn't any pressure on him. So, I would think that the US would be the perfect place for a prodigy to develop w/o pressure.

Second, how is the US "depending" on Freddy Adu? Sure, the USSF has invested a Bradenton slot in him, but so what? He's not the only player there.

6. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria

Still haven't heard your answer as to why this vaunted influence has never paid off before. Or why it hasn't gotten the job done yet.
    Still waiting (I'll take a seat because I'm sure it will be a while).

I don't know why you are still waiting. YOU pointed out how Regis' case was influenced. I'll just quote you:
    I don't know why you continually imply that I said people ARE influencing the Adus' citizenship process. I saw how you inferred something that I didn't want to say, so I have attempted to clear it up. I even put it in all fricking caps two posts ago. I just think it is POSSIBLE. How can you deny that it is simply possible? (I'll wait for your answer there)

As far as the Regis thing, they didn't influence. They found a loophole. Influencing requires someone on the other end of the transaction to change their perception.

That "someone" gave Regis' wife a job.

He wasn't even presented for citizenship until all that stuff went down. So how did they "influence" something that hadn't happened before and met all the merits of the law?

There you go with all this lawful business, as if influencing a process automatically means that laws are being broken. (adressed that in all caps two posts ago as well)

Forgive me for presenting real-life examples while you only speak in hypotheticals. Money can make things happen. But there is no precedent for US Soccer in using its influence in getting citizenship matters taken care of.

A lack of precedent does in no way preclude the possibility of USSoccer using its influence. Or can you predict the future?

But anyway, there is precedent. David Regis.

7. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    None of these players mentioned have any hope of influencing the national team in the way Freddy Adu is thought to be able to one day. For someone like him, MAYBE there are some higher ups who MIGHT call in a favor. MAYBE

Llamosa, wouldn't you say we had enough defenders on WC '98, and plus Sampson was a big reason why Regis' case was expedited. He found out about him and three months later he was a citizen. MAYBE it was the coach saying to USSF, find a way, please!

Cunningham, who cares? Why rush the process for a player who isn't all that?

Maestroeni. Why would they need to influence it. He was right on schedule to be able to play in the WC. I'm sure USSF kept one eye on his case at all times, and the fact that there were no delays, like cunninghams, COULD mean that there was influence.

8. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Since absolutely no evidence has ever been cited on this board to show that Freddy is not his stated age, I will assume that he is 13 years old.

I don't know how many 13 year old boys there are in the United States, but conservatively there are at least one million. So, the 99th percentile of 13 year old boys contains at least 10,000 boys. That's a lot of 13 year old kids who are Freddy's size. And we already know that Freddy is not an average kid, but an extraordinary kid. He is obviously in the 99th percentile of soccer skill for his age. Why then, is it so suspicious for him to be in the 99th percentile of other attributes such as size and speed? The kid is special. He is, literally, one in a million. I would not expect him to be average in anything.

And as far as being from Ghana, you are ignoring the fact that Freddy moved to the United States when he was 9 years old. At that time, he would have needed both a Ghanaian passport and a US visa, both of which would require a birth certificate to obtain. So, if his birth certificate has been forged or altered, this must have been done before moving to the US in 1998. What motive would Freddy's family have had for doing that?

Let's assume Freddy is actually two years older than stated, 15 instead of 13. Which means he would have been 11 when he moved to the US. What motive would the Adu family have for turning their 11 year old boy into a 9 year old boy? If they were convinced he was going to be a soccer star, why emigrate to the United States? Wouldn't they have emigrated to England, Germany, Spain or Italy if they thought they had a goldmine of youth talent on their hands? If they had emigrated to one of those countries, their boy would have already signed a professional contract.

All indications are that the Adus did not realize that Freddy was a soccer star. From what I have read, Freddy didn't even play club soccer until a classmate saw him playing at school and asked him to join his club.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Monster and Flan -

I am profoundly impressed by your ability to continue a debate of this level of interest and importance.

Best Regards,

N&A Moderator

P.S. Is there an end in sight?

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it's on topic. :D

There's an end when Freddy's Mom gets her papers. In the real world, that will happen when the process comes to its natural conclusion sometime this year, which is the timeline predicted a long time ago.

Of course, if the USSF gets involved, it will probably take longer. :p

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, I'll be glad when it happens so we can focus on what's really important - should he be captain in his first game and should he play behind Ricketts or alongside. :)

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Paul Rachubka in goal? :D

If Bruce has enough pull to get the naturalization process sped up so that a kid can get citizenship just three years after the USSF discovers him, he can definitely get FIFA to overlook the England youth caps Rachubka has.

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i don't understand why someone on these boards doesn't just marry her

doesn't anyone have any national pride???

wtf

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't give her citizenship. Still gotta go through most of the jazz she's been going through.

You may apply for naturalization if:

You have been a lawful permanent resident for five years.
    You have been a lawful permanent resident for three years, have been married to a US citizen for those three years, and continue to be married to that U.S. citizen.;
    You are a lawful permanent resident child of United States citizen parents: or
    You have qualifying military service.

http://www.us-immigration.com/information/citizenship_tutorial/

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Monster

I guess since you only replied to that one part, you accept that there MAY BE some influence going on.

looks like we're winding it up :)

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say for the record that I see no irregularities in either Adu's supposed age (I saw him at the U-17 scrimmage last night) or the process that he is going through in order to become a US citizen. Furthermore, I cannot image a scenario that would see him playing for Ghana instead of the United States. Okay, maybe one; he stops developing as a soccer player and simply isn't good enough to play for the US national team. All signs point toward him getting his citzenship and trying to play fo the Nats someday. Finally, by "someday" we're probably talking about sometime after the 2006 WC, so let's all just calm down.

Having said that, I just wanted to post something that I posted on a different chat site. (Sorry if this has alreayd been posted here, there's no way I'm going to read all 13 pages of this thread in order to find out). It refers to the specifics of Freddy's situation. Going through the INS citizenship pages, it seems like Freddy's situation fits into the following scenario.

I think that question 24 in this website, http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm
    might cover Adu. It's pretty complicated, but the important parts appear to be:

"A child who is born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who naturalize after the child's birth can become a U.S. citizen by action of law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
    - The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence; and
    - Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization; and
    - The child was still under 18 years of age; and
    - The child was not married; and
    - The child was the parent's legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before the child's 16th birthday (Stepchildren or children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their parents.); and
    - If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1) or and has had a full and final adoption; and
    - The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen parent (this includes joint custody); and
    - The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship.

**NOTE; The one U.S. citizen parent rule only applies to children who
    were under age 18 on or after February 27, 2001. For children claiming
    automatic citizenship prior to this date, the individual in certain cases would have to establish that the parent or parents who were not U.S. citizens by birth had naturalized (or that the naturalizing parent was separated or legally divorced and had legal custody of the child)."

Not sure exactly what the "one U.S. citizen parent rule" is, but it probably covers Freddy's situation. In other words, if his mother becomes a US citizen before he turns 18, he can automatically become one, too - that same day- as long as all of the other requirements have been met, that is. So, as far as his citizenship is concerned, it doesn't much matter if he's 13 or 15, as long as he's not 18 when his mom's naturalized. One wonders if the March 2003 date that has been mentioned is when his mother is supposed to gain her US citizenship.

As far as USSF's role is concerned, well, I assume they're just helping Freddy's mom make sure she meets all the requirements of citizenship and that nothing gets screwed up. But also, they may have a more active role in that a kid who's at the Braedenton Academy isn't "residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent" now is he? Maybe USSF has to be a part of these proceedings in order to explain to the INS why Freddy's not living at home.

Just a guess. Anyway, I'm done with this issue until Adu gets just a tad closer to being old enough for a US call-up or at least old enough to be drafted into MLS on a P-40 contract.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, this means that (assuming Freddy's dad isn't here and getting naturalized) that this section doesn't apply to Freddy. Maybe I'm missing something here. The fact that the 2nd clause specifies aliens "who naturalize" means that the first clause won't apply to Freddy, since his mom is naturalizing. Further, I would point out that when Freddy was born, his mother was Ghanaian. Technically, Freddy was not and can never have been born to a US citizen parent. Finally, I think that "alien" in the first part of that may mean "foreigner living here legally," not "foreigner," excluding Freddy's dad.

Perhaps the language before the "or" refers to someone like Thomas Dooley, who could automatically get citizenship anytime before he turned 18, and the part after the children born of two parents both here. IOW, not Freddy.

I've brought this up elsewhere...are we sure Freddy is legitimate? First, his parents may never have been married in any form, which obviously would exclude Freddy. Second, his parents may have married in "traditional" fashion, and who knows how the INS views a marriage for which there's no paperwork. I have a sister-in-law (this is Kenya, the other side of the continent, so don't take this as a binding precedent) who was married in the traditional way. And I'll bet some of my other in-laws were, too. In Nairobi, they may have also registered their marriage. But it's possible that Freddy's parents lived in a fairly isolated village, and were married "traditionally," and have no documentation for that. Yes, that stuff still happens in Africa.

Maybe. The language I first quoted, with its distinction between naturalized and US citizen parents, makes me wonder if this last paragraph covers a Thomas Dooley case.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave:

I don't want to speculate on the legitimacy theme.

My assumption (and it's nothing more than my opinion, based on a layman's reading of the INS pages) is that these regulations are meant to allow kids of naturalized citizens to become citizens themselves as long as they meet all of the prerequisites (not yet 18, married, etc.). The one parent rule seems to modify the basic regulation, which assumes that kids all have two parent households.

I don't see any instance where a kid who's not 18 can get granted citizenship on his/her own; so if Freddy was not pursuing citizenship through his mother, he'd have to wait 5 more years just to file his naturalization papers. Clearly, he seems much further along in the process. Hence, my assumption that, somehow, he's hoping to become a US citizen through some other means, i.e., his mother.

The regs are pretty clear in stating that at the time the child is born his parents need NOT be US citizens (through naturalizatino or birth):

"A child who is born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents WHO NATURALIZE AFTER the child's birth can become a U.S. citizen by action of law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met..."

The only stickler is that Freddy has one parent, and it seems logical to me that the one parent rule let's him become a US citizen despite that fact (not that logic has any real role here).

Tom Dooley's father was US serviceman. I don't think that these regulations have anything to do with him. Dooley's US citizenship seems to have been automatic, pretty much just a question of filing some papers:

"3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen

In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:

One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
    Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before you were born; and
    At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday*.

Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy,
    is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your
    citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you
    may file an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) with INS
    to get a Certificate of Citizenship.

*If you were born before November 14, 1986, you are a citizen if your U.S.
    citizen parent lived in the United States for at least 10 years and 5 of those
    years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday."

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Enough with the rules guys - how did he play?

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC